ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

optimum gear change

Nippy white cup

It isnt an optimum light m8...it comes on just b4 the limiter hits..peak is about 6700rpm ish I think.. (although mine comes on just under 8K ;))

Chris

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

id be worried if you owned a cup and you didnt let it come on before you changed up! rev it to the end!

Audi A6 (S3 on order)

Quote: Originally posted by Tomclio182 on 16 July 2004

id be worried if you owned a cup and you didnt let it come on before you changed up! rev it to the end!
Damn straight !!!

Drive it hard and get it moving like its supposed to, I love to see the light come on before I change gear.....

.....reading that back it sounds a bit dodgy :confused:

172 Cup

Quote: Originally posted by CupCake on 16 July 2004Cos its "please change now" instead of "c**t too many revs" ;)

Shame I would love to see "C**t too many revs" rather than a green blob on the dash.

Probably not PC enough for Renault.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

I have to agree with Lee. I generally live on mine once shes all warmed up, otherwise, whats the point!

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by scondog on 16 July 2004

theres a gear change light on a cup?!?!? where?!?!?
Theres no actual "light" its more of a green GLOW that comes from the base of the gear stick when you hit certain revs...

what a silly place to have it though rofl couldnt be any harder to see, especially if your racing around corners .. i usually change around 65-6700 as thats roughly the peak bhp

Ford Fiesta

i still havnt seen my traction control light, but I have seen gear change light!!!!!!!

182, GTR, C63

look down while bouncing it off limiter when spinning wheels theres a tacky green light that comes on trying to tell you that bouncing it off the limiter is a bad thing. Wot do you know silly green light anyway!!!

I think unlike say a big V-engine where youre best keeping it in the torque range and not over-revving, a revvy 16v engine is best taken up to the limiter.

also I find if you change up to early from 1st to 2nd and fom 2nd to 3rd you find yourself under 5k revs and so it takes a short time to get back into the speedy zone!

I just drove the next door naighbours Nissan 350z and that has a big red light in the centre of the streering wheel with change around it!! much more like it!!

if you are waiting to see it you will be bouncing off the limiter by the time you shift, you will notice it flicker out of the corner of your eye as you change up if you are shifting at the right time. like said earlier its a "change up now if you havnt already you knob" rather than an optimum change light

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Power starts dropping after about 6.7krpm so thats the point to change at. However, will admit that once the car is warmed up I hit my limiter in 1st and 2nd many times a day (my late Mk1 hasnt got a shift light). Its what the car was made to do ... can rev significantly higher than Renault enforced limit.

lawrence

ClioSport Club Member
  is non-existent

Theres no actual "light" its more of a green GLOW that comes from the base of the gear stick when you hit certain revs...

i aint seen no light by my gear stick me thinks you mean base of instrument panel, i say forget about the light just take up it to the limiter or learn to change gear before 7k i find it annoying you cant go past that

172 cup TT

Quote: Originally posted by lozza_cup on 17 July 2004

i aint seen no light by my gear stick me thinks you mean base of instrument panel, i say forget about the light just take up it to the limiter or learn to change gear before 7k i find it annoying you cant go past that

No, its clear, the gear stick gaiter surround glows green.. it lights up the whole interior of the car.. kind of like a "magic moment" from a supernatural film... awesome... i think im superman when it happens

car? need a license 1st!

well i have no light or anything, i just know when to change up... because the revs are bouncing on the limiter :p

mind u, i only have a 1.4 8v :p

Quote: Originally posted by Chewy on 20 July 2004

well i have no light or anything, i just know when to change up... because the revs are bouncing on the limiter :p

mind u, i only have a 1.4 8v :p
Only the 172/182 have this light and even then it sometimes doesnt work/ is plugged in.

The car I test drove didnt have it working.

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

ive been driving my car sensibly recently (to cut fuel costs), like a taxi driver, going everywhere in 5th! in 30zones i just take it to 32mph and then she goes in 5th!

i managed to do m4 jct 33 to jct 4 all in 5th gear without flooring it once on saturday!

i was so proud of myself!

No, its clear, the gear stick gaiter surround glows green.. it lights up the whole interior of the car.. kind of like a "magic moment" from a supernatural film... awesome... i think im superman when it happens
Ive never seen this, admittedly Ive never looked.

Clio 197

I had a word with the renault guys about this:

Green light is for "optimum gear change".

Sometimes the rev limiter will cut in before the "optimum change" light, because sensors in the engine detect that it aint warm enough, or conditions arent right to rev any further.... so it all depends on the load/stress on the engine.

PS Renault have been wrong in the past.

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 20 July 2004

Green light is for "optimum gear change".
PS Renault have been wrong in the past.
They are wrong, its just a warning about getting close to the redline.

dk

911 GTS Cab

Quote: Originally posted by omar on 20 July 2004

Sometimes the rev limiter will cut in before the "optimum change" light, because sensors in the engine detect that it aint warm enough, or conditions arent right to rev any further.... so it all depends on the load/stress on the engine.
the light still comes on before the rev limiter, it adjusts itself to change when the engine is not quite warm enough. it lets me know that I need to change early because the engine isnt warm enough, quite useful really

Ford Fiesta

the V6 does not havr this function as far as i know, like I said mine is working on the 182, only seen it 2 times, just wanted to make sure it was working.

worth it at least once lads, try it in second. first gear up to say 10mph then all the way up to and beyond 60MPh in second. Do it safe though, entering an empty motorway for example.