ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Orange Peel Removal, Novice Takes on Spoiler.

Storm Grey 200
After seeing that orange peel removal thread, I decided it was about time I did something with the cup spoiler I had painted about 5 months ago.

After getting it painted, I put it on the car. After just one day it had gone very orange peely and had been damaged by bird poo. I then got a full refund from the bodyshop and they gave me some BS about how they can't paint the spoiler because the plastic is too porus. Anyway, I got my money and we went our separate ways.

The spoiler had been kicking about in the shed since then and has so been damaged, a few chips and a scratch on the top.

For this I used 1500 wet and dry. And a bunch of clothes. Followed by a DA6 with a Menzerna Polishes and some pads.

I am crap at capturing on camera but hopefully you can see how bad the orange peel is. It was so bad I couldn't have the spoiler on the car.

web.jpg

web.jpg

So off I started....

P1010696.jpg

One of the scratches was very deep, I managed to get most of the long part out but I didn't want to risk it to much.

P1010700.jpg

This is where a bird has done its business on it, its etched very badly.

P1010708.jpg

After a bit of work its virtually all gone :)

web.jpg

web.jpg

Midway

P1010701.jpg

The edges were very tricky as I didn't want go through them...

P1010706.jpg

That big chip isnt budging, I will probably fill it paint and then flat it down, but for now this will do.

web.jpg

The top edge is pretty much done, so now its time for some polish!

P1010710.jpg

P1010709.jpg

P1010711.jpg

P1010712.jpg

And that was just with a few passes of Menz Intensive, its not taken the sanding marks out, but its getting there.

More tomorrow.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Bloody good work so far, higher resolution pictures needed. Keep us updated!!

Do you think the results would be so easy to achieve by hand? Or EXTREMELY difficult?

FPOS Productions™ 172 FR
Bloody good work so far, higher resolution pictures needed. Keep us updated!!

Do you think the results would be so easy to achieve by hand? Or EXTREMELY difficult?

you would never get the finish by hand, you need to generate heat to break the polish down, so machine is the only way..

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
The sanding marks will be under the paint mate but well done.

On a side note spoiler plastics are quite hard to paint, the mk5 zetec-s spoilers were so bad they actually changed the plastic at the factory.

If the correct primer is used the paint shouldn't orange peel or 'sink'

Storm Grey 200
I just finished it. I'm very pleased :) it has sinking on the part where the light is, but it's reduced :)

Storm Grey 200
Well I finished it off today, to say I'm pleased is a gross understatement. I thought it was beyond repair.

Anyway here we go...

After giving it a pass or 3 with intensive polish it just wasn't taking off the sanding marks. So I bought out the big guns. Menz powergloss and a sonus restore pad. It still took a fair few passes but it was shifting.

P1010727.jpg

P1010730.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

I applied this all over the top side of the spoiler, I then followed up with a Menz IP

web.jpg

And then followed up with Menz Final Finish on a finishing pad, it was getting REALLY shiney now :D

web.jpg

web.jpg

web.jpg

With the top done it was time to crack on with the end with the light.

This was pretty buggered, it had paint sinking and orange peel. Not to mention all the scratches and chips.

P1010733.jpg

web.jpg

P1010738.jpg

It was really tricky to get all the sinking out so I settled for as much as a could, I would hate for it to break into the colour coat at this stage.

Anyway this polished up really well and you barely notice on the car.

P1010736.jpg

P1010737.jpg

This was then polished more with IP...

P1010740.jpg

P1010739.jpg

I broke the break light :( Oh well

P1010749.jpg

All done, time for some wax.

P1010750.jpg

web.jpg

P1010741.jpg

P1010742.jpg

Really pleased and I would recommend this to anyone. You can really improve a very shoddy piece.

A word of advice, use finer grades because it was hard to shift the 1500 marks with a DA. (I didn't have any different papers)

Bumder With A Buffer
Mines coming off tomorrow afternoon to have "some treatment" :)

Looks good.

Glad I have got some 2000 and 2500 grade though.

Storm Grey 200
The rest of the car does look shite in comparison now! Dunno if i have enough balls to do the whole car tho...

MK3

Dynamiqueee
Looks good mate. I'd love to have a go at doing this on my side strips. Anyone know if a cheapo halfrauds polisher would do the job?

MK3

Dynamiqueee
Don't suppose you know of any cheap alternatives? This will be the 1st time i've ever done anything like this, and don't want to fork out loads if i'm just going to mess it all up and never use it again lol.

Nope those polishers are useless

Storm Grey 200
A kestral DA6 does the job, Its on the cheaper side, I wouldnt recommend a rotary to a complete beginner, but I'm sure someone in your area would help you out, ie polish it up or something