ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overclocked

Fiat Panda 100hp
I have just done my 1st successful overclock this afternoon...from standard 2.2Mhz to a nice 2529.8Mhz

Last edited:
  Jap Shed
nice i overclocked my g card 6600 256 nvidia but it wont go over
374 core clock and 600 mem clock without distorting games
strange.....

Fiat Panda 100hp
lol i aint even got into the overclocking graphics yet, only just learn how to clock CPUs

cliobritt said:
nice i overclocked my g card 6600 256 nvidia but it wont go over
374 core clock and 600 mem clock without distorting games
strange.....

Not really strange, you've just reached the limits. As a general rule; flickering corrupt textures means the core is running to fast. White sparkles mean the memory is running to fast. That's just a general rule, although I've never found it not to be true.

Conteo said:
lol i aint even got into the overclocking graphics yet, only just learn how to clock CPUs

Overclocking a graphics card is a piece of piss compared to doing a proper stable mobo overclock, which can be easy to pull off, but less easy to make properly stable with memory, bus, PCI, and CPU speeds all playing a role.

Fiat Panda 100hp
what software would you recommend for stability testing Roy? Iv used OCCT but been told thats it only does 1 core other than my 2.

The best method of OCing the main machine is generally;

Do it separately. Mobo. CPU. Memory.

Lower the divider to something very low. Lock the memory. adjust the bus speed to stable levels until you know the mobo is stable. Then you can start upping the divider to find a stable CPU clock. Then the memory can be done. Quite likely to be some tweaking to fine tune the balance afterwards, especially if you have cheap ass RAM.

Conteo said:
what software would you recommend for stability testing Roy? Iv used OCCT but been told thats it only does 1 core other than my 2.

At the moment my mobo/cpu overclock is quite mild...not really done properly as per my previous post (but it will be soon)

For tesing the graphics I just use 3DMark06...if it can get through all those tests without artifacts or overheating, then it's fine IMO.

RE: dual core testing...I've read lots off stuff about two instances of your software running torture tests...quite involved. I just went for a failry easy overclock rather than the scientific tortute test approach.

FYI currently 246x11 @2.71Mhz (stock is 200x12 @2.4Mhz)

Keep in mind it's as much about the board running fast, as it is the CPU. Hence lowering the divider and increasing the bus to get the same CPU speed as stock, and then more.

Conteo said:
ill sit down for a session of counter strike and see how it goes ;)

Wanna borrow my old 9800Pro? ;)

EDIT: just looked at your picture, you should be able to push that a bit further ;) Get that vcore up to 1.4v FFS :D

Last edited:
  Fiat Panda 100hp
I had to put it back down to 2300Mhz, as when I was playing counter strike the pc would just freeze with a black screen and the mobo would be beeping at me. And it did it again after I restarted. Any reason for this? all my temp gauges are saying that its ok.

172 Cup
Have you changed any voltages? Have you changed the memory timings at all? Running a memory divider?

How did you go about the OC? You really need to isolate each part and find out the individual maximums. Armed with that info you can move forward.

Start out by locking the memory, or dividing it as Griff says. Lower the CPU divider to something daft like 4/5. Then attack the bus...using Prime95 or similar to reach the mobo max stable.

Then you can start raising the CPU divider and keep testing for stability. Then you know the max stable core speed. You'll probably need to mess a bit with the bus speed again here...but don't raise it above what you knows is the max.

Actually not sure about the testing of the bus speed. Raising til it wont post, and then knockcing back a bit might be best.

Monaro VXR
If your overclocking an AMD board set LDT to 4x it should default at 5x if its still set at 5x it will be causing the problems. You want to try running the bus as close to 2000mhz as possible.

So basicaly at 230mhz fsb you get 230 x 5(ldt) = 1150 * 2 = 2300 this is what your new hypertransport bus is running at. its 1150 each way therefore 2300. This really should not go over 2000 mhz to remain stable.

So reducing it to 4 will give you a total of 1840 which is under spec. 230 x 4 x 2 = 1840.

Monaro VXR
It is. But the LDT you cant have over 2000mhz best not to anyway as close to 2000mhz as is possible is what you want.

Yes i know exactly what im talking about lol.

Look up LDT settings on other overclocking sites sure they will all say the same thing.

Wow how did i miss this thread, I normaly get a boner when i smell a new post in Technology Chat :)

wozzaa said:
If your overclocking an AMD board set LDT to 4x it should default at 5x if its still set at 5x it will be causing the problems. You want to try running the bus as close to 2000mhz as possible.

So basicaly at 230mhz fsb you get 230 x 5(ldt) = 1150 * 2 = 2300 this is what your new hypertransport bus is running at. its 1150 each way therefore 2300. This really should not go over 2000 mhz to remain stable.

So reducing it to 4 will give you a total of 1840 which is under spec. 230 x 4 x 2 = 1840.

Now thats just confused the monkey out of me :)

It seems LDT is basically HTT. Hmmmm..might explain a few things with my 256 bus speed. I'm on the laptop just now but I'll have a look later on the games machine....posssibly tomorrow :)

Monaro VXR
Its the same thing as HTT but its now called LDT. my DFI board refers to it as LDT as well. Sorry bout that have to remember its different on some boards.

Jap Shed
ive done the graphics card, can i overclock any other part of the pc to make it run faster while gaming? Is there a good site?

cliobritt said:
ive done the graphics card, can i overclock any other part of the pc to make it run faster while gaming? Is there a good site?

I linked to a good site earlier in this thread. It's not a 5 minite job though to learn, as I am finding out.

Monaro VXR
Nothing really to overclock once you done memory, cpu and graphics. Can always try sorting out your processes though in task manager. You should be able to get them down to under 20. Depends on what things you need.

Wozza, is there much point in having a high bus speed, if the HTT is stock? Jyst wondering if I should go back to 12x multiplier?

Or;

Stick to 256x11 @2.7Ghz with 4xHTT = ideal?

Monaro VXR
Well AMD's dont have an FSB as such but the HTT has to be as close to 2000mhz as possible.

If yours runs with a 12x multi stick it on there. Just dont alter the htt from 4x but i think you will have issues trying to get the system to boot at over 3ghz.