ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overclocking questions...

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Ok guys i'm pretty new to overclocking but i've been doing a lot of readni on different forums.

Going to be overclocking my q6600 to around 3.2g if i'm able.

Questions though:

If you are using ram rated at 1066 on a motherboard rated at 800hz can you up the fsb and in doing so up the fsb of the CPU at the same time?

whats the relation between the FSB and the core and multiplier? from what i understand you change the core and the multiplier to get the result you want but i'm not sure how fsb comes into this? so for example, multiplier 8 and core @ 400hz = 3200hz. how does the fsb affect this?

Voltage:

Is my understanding correct that, in order to maintain stability at higher clocks you have to overvolt the system to compensate for the higher speed? is this wrong? obviosuly this would increase system temps and need a more powerful PSU...

would mine cope messing around with this stuff ? it's a corsair 620w modular psu.

Don't get me wrong i'm not looknig to max the chip as they go all the way up to 4gig if u know what ur doing, but i want a decent stable clock which i can learn by doing and then leave it like that till i need more power.

You guys are legends so thanks for your help!

EDIT:

System specs:
Intel Q6600 CPU
Evga 680i Sli motherboard
4gig OCZ Sli Ready Ram.
BFG 8800 GTS G2 512mb
80gig Raptor 10k rpm sata drive
Corsair 620w PSU
Vista 64bit.

I don't think the Q6600 has an unlocked multiplier so you'll have to up the bus anyway. Generally you should be able to up it by at least 10% to start with, and if your RAM is rated at 1066Mhz then yes it should easily take it. I'm no OCing expert though, others will know far more - I just thought I'd point out that you won't have an unlocked multiplier...I don't think.

The beauty oif an unlocked multiplier is that you can drop it down in order to find the max speed of your motherboard first, and then start working on the CPU.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
so how is the fsb connected to the core and multiplier thats what i dont' get?

if i drop it to 8 and core @ 400hz, how will i know if i need to overvolt etc? well confusing.

172 Cup
so how is the fsb connected to the core and multiplier thats what i dont' get?

if i drop it to 8 and core @ 400hz, how will i know if i need to overvolt etc? well confusing.

Trial and error. That's essentially what OC'ing is all about.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
ok...just don't want to blow it up thats all. anyone on the FSB question?? i can' seem to fnid the answers i'm looking for anywhere, tried the overclockers forum too.

340i
my friend has the same processor...

He managed to clock it to 3.2GHZ on air, but now he has just installed a watercooler and getting 5.1ghz now :cool:

It can convert a full XVID to DVD format in around 3mins hahaa :star:

172 Cup

He managed to clock it to 3.2GHZ on air, but now he has just installed a watercooler and getting 5.1ghz now :cool:

Ok.....

When you say water did you actually mean liquid nitrogen otherwise I'd say you're mate is telling porky pies.

Complete bollox I'm afraid..

ZT 1.8T

Ok.....

When you say water did you actually mean liquid nitrogen otherwise I'd say you're mate is telling porky pies.

Complete bollox I'm afraid..
yeah agree with Griff, sounds a bit too good to be true.

David get a program called Prime95, the "torture" test maxes ur CPU load to see if its stable. Part of the trial and error method im affraid. You cant really "blow up" ur CPU if u dont change the supply voltage, just watch the temperatures (many programs to do this I use speedfan).

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
yeh got prime 95 to test all the cores to the max, for stability i believe! cheers guys, will let you know how i get on.