ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Overclocking?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Anyone have any advice on how to go about doing it?

From my understanding, all PC's can be overclocked slightly, some more than others. Fancy giving it a go with mine and seeing if it improves things at all...

Cupra
Not all PCs can be. Dell etc lock their bios settings and they cannot be clocked. If you have built your PC, then you can probably overclock it.

What processer/ motherboard/ cooling etc have you got?

BMW E46 330i Touring
Honestly have no idea mate, but it was built separately a couple years ago so am pretty sure it can be... how do I find out what MB / Processor I've got without having to take the case apart!?!

Cupra
There might be something in the BIOS screen but I doubt it.

If you are going to overclock the CPU to get substantial gains from it, it will probably need an after market cooler too. The standard ones cannot get enough heat off it.

You can kill a PC fairly quickly if it gets too hot.

Hexus.net has lots of useful advise on overclocking. It might be worth having a read through their forums. It is where I learnt it all from and nothing has gone bang yet. :D

Tesla MP3 2021
TBH mate if you dont even know what system specs you have and dont know how to find them out I wouldnt even bother trying as you could kill your PC in about 5 seconds lol.

Not being harsh but It just wouldnt be worth the risk as I know people who have done some serious damage

05 Plate MG ZR 105 Trophy
It should come up with what Manufactuer your Motherboard is when you switch it on (if its a home built machine).. i.e. mines Crosshair. You could also try and go into your Bios?. Also if you are on XP go on "My Computer" and Click "Properties" It normal tells you some system info..

Once you find out what your Motherboard/Processor is just do a little bit of searching on Google for any Overclocking Guides. Thats what I did for my AMD Processor, but you may need to change your standard heatsink for something abit better?.

a renault
Anyone have any advice on how to go about doing it?

From my understanding, all PC's can be overclocked slightly, some more than others. Fancy giving it a go with mine and seeing if it improves things at all...

Personally I wouldn't bother, I reckon the only time you "notice" any difference is with a benchmarking program, visually I dont think you'd notice anything. Depending on what motherboard you've got, you could overclock the processor in the bios (if it lets you). if you wanted to overclock the graphics then i'm sure there's some overclocking programs on tinternet.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
have to agree with adam on this one. i know a fair bit about computers, but even i dont have the confidence to overclock the cpu. i know enough to overclock my graphics card, but thats it.

its an expensive mistake to make if you do it wrong.

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Overclocking is something that if you have to ask other people how to do it, you don't know enough to be doing it.

You have to know which CPUs can be overclocked. This is generally ones intended for use in laptops and ones that are produced late in a technology generation. Laptop (low power) CPUs are made any differently, they are selected for being able to run at given speed at a lower core voltage. That means there's more overhead for stepping up the speed and stepping up the voltage so its stable before so much heat is generated that the chip burns out. Similarly after they've been building a particular generation of CPUs for a while they get better at it, so the earliest of a generation are less overclockable than the final ones.

You have to know how to do it. That depends on the BIOS on the motherboard. Some manufacturers set their BIOSes up so that you're locked in. Others market their motherboard on the basis that overclocking is easy. You've got to have the right motherboard.

You have to know what else you have to do. Step up the CPU and memory's core voltage. Better colling on the CPU and memory.

You have to know the cost-benefit. Temperature increases disproportionately reduce component life. If you're just trying to speed up a cheap processor it cvould be more effective to simply buy a faster one. And the processor is only one factor in the performance of a whole PC. One speeding it up may be barely noticeable. You may be better of with a faster disk or more RAM or a faster video card.

BMW E46 330i Touring
Cheers guys, I think as you say, it'll be more effective to look at upgrading components instead of overclocking the cheap ones I have.

One bug-bare, for example, is the amount of time it takes to load XP when the computers starts up - literally minutes. Is there any one thing I can do to speed up this process, or is it a mix of various things?

Cheers guys, I think as you say, it'll be more effective to look at upgrading components instead of overclocking the cheap ones I have.

One bug-bare, for example, is the amount of time it takes to load XP when the computers starts up - literally minutes. Is there any one thing I can do to speed up this process, or is it a mix of various things?

Have you tried all the usual rhings for speeding XP boot?? Try defragging hard disk, if that doesn't work click on run and type msconfig, click on the startup tab on the box that appears and untick anything that you don't need to be booting at startup, if you aren't 100% on what should or shouldn't be booting just google the prgram name.