ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

overheating in traffic

COLTCZT,Clio 440T project
hi

on the way to work this morning my valver dicided to overheat the rev counter went up to about 4 thousand revs and the heat melted the casing on my throttle cable for the secound time since i bought the car does anyone know why it might be over heating? is there supposed to be a heat sheald over the manifold to protect the cables?

thanks
will

cable goes behind a sheild yes.

but when you say 'overheat' how hot are you talking, and why are we talking about tachometers when we should be talking about water/oil temp gauges?

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
got much coolant in youre reservior?? (sp)

maybe possible head gasket failing?

oil temp and pressure is fine, but the water temp gets up to the last big notch (if ya kno wat i mean lol) on the dial! oh the joys of owning a valver! yea plenty of coolant, think there might possibly be a blockage or sumthin in 1 of the pipes to or from the rad tho!

CTR--VX220D
One of these:-

1] Fan not kicking in

2] HGF... Head gasket Failure - check for mayo in oil cap, and in the coolant tank [or oily film on surface] Or get a sniffer done @ a garage which can tell you straight away if you have HGF.

3] Water pump

4] Thermostat

HTH's

well the fan works, so its 1 of 3 :p lol last time i checked there wasnt anything in the oil cap, ill check the coolant tank wen i get back from work. if its the other two how much are we talkin 2 fix? can i do it myself? i have a bit of knowledge but not a great deal.

CB600FS
Like the people above have said, try cleaning your rad switch terminals, might be corroded. Check the wiring aswell, and on your fan.

Try bleeding the coolant again to get rid of any airlocks, or try a flush.

really neeed a heat sheild, any1 have 1 lyin around?? need asap! checked the oil nd was no shite there, coolant was rather low tho, actually very low but it was ok when i checked it tho other day :s

CB600FS
How many miles has it done mate, and has the cambelt/waterpump been done yet?

Radiators tend to leak slowly usually.

When you start it up, do you get bubbles in the header tank? Or 'mayo' in the filler cap? Is there the smell of oil in the header tank aswell? Any white smoke aswell?

Have you checked everything everyone aboves said aswell?

bout 100,000 nd i dunno if the cam belt/waterpump has been done, just bought a few weeks ago on the cheap nd had no documentaion for it. not sure about bubbles as the car is a few miles away from me now :( lol but checkd for mayo nd nuttin, clean as a whistle nd i never noticed a smell of oil from the expansion tank. no white smoke either! been at work all day so havent been able 2 check otha stuff.

RenaultSport clio 182 cup
sounds like your temperature sensor, happened to me in my 05 plate 182, twice! was over heating in traffic and cutting out, temperature gauge and petrol gauge both drop to ZERO, i took it to renault they 'apparently' replaced it a week later it happened again

its RENAULT.....PISH mate

get yourself a subaru!

i'm lost.

When you say overheat, does the header tank cap blow?

And which 'big line'?

Does it go off the gauge, or is it at 3/4 or the last line?

yea the cap blowed where i opened the bonnet. ita about 3/4 if not more the needle goes up 2, its high :p lol. well its not really modern, its K reg :p lol

CB600FS
How many miles has it done mate, and has the

Radiators tend to leak slowly usually.

?

The coolant system of a modern engine should not leak as it is an enclosed pressurised system.

Yeah sorry posted that a bit wrong, Don't think you got what I meant. Not leak all the time, but when they do leak (ie, stone in rad, joint leaking) they dont piss out, but seep out slowly.

My bad

Check all hoses. had a similar proplem and a hose had split near a clip so was pissing coolant evrywhere.

Small job with a stanly knife.

:D

Think my thermostat needs changing tho. :(

Dunno when anything was changed if it has. got no receipts with tho car, i probly just bought sum1 elses problems but what can ya expect for £450?!?! ill check all hoses 2morro!
BTW Thanks for all ur help guys! its much appreciated!

MK1 Clio 16v
Will where you located? You anywhere near Leicester?

Had loads of problems with my coolant system on my valver and ended up replacing a few (cheap) things that finally fixed the problem.

Could help you perform a few tests if you want to see if we can find the problem!

PM me your postcode if you like and i'll see how far away you are.

Yup, its miles away, would u mind doin me a lil guide or sumthing so i can test my self?
really think its the water pump, i drove the car back 2 mine witha piece of string coz the trottle cable melted :( lol but wen i was driving i could here the water pump screeching, thort it was the fan belt at 1st but that is ok! how hard is it 2 change the water pump nd how much do they cost?

Using cycle brake cable as my throttle cable atm. lol.

Just a tip use engine hoist points to run new cable keeps it away from the manifold, mine even melts behind the shield. :(

oooh, bike brake cable sounds like a good idea, with the metal insert thing, might do that and get a heat shield. haynes say the water pmp is easy enuff to replace, could be lying tho :p lol