ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oversizing tyres... the effects

Anyone know the effects of say going from a 185/55/15 to a 195/50/15 tyre?

Or in other words fitting the same size tyres from a 172 onto a Williams.

Does oversize rubber give any handling benefits, or does it actually c**k the handling up?

Accleration will be better most probably, it will be top speed thats effected as wider tyres are obviously less aerodynamic.

I went from 155/70/13 I think to 195/50/15 - now, thats a difference. Heavy, weird turning corners, gripy, slower.. but it is only a 1.2 with no power steering.

Got use to it now, though - I was turning wheels on the spot the other day to get out of a parking space and a passenger said "power steering is great isnt it" - he thought I had it - was suprised when I said I hadnt.

Daz.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic

power steering is great for parking, but once your out of town or on a track day you kinda wish you didnt have it as you loose that feeling of the road.

Was a Clio 1.8 16v

You can feel ur back end and the point at which youll slide with manual steering but with power its more of a guess.

I dont have power steering, and I also dont try and park in stupid places like on a busy street. Car parks are for me, and those spaces at the end that no-one parks in is where i usually go. Plenty of room to park and no-one tends to open there doors on you. Only drawback, thiefs tend to go for the cars on there own. But mine has never been tried.

Paul

I think properly weighted power steering is fine for whatever driving you do.

Obviously you dont want super light steering assisted when youre trying to feel whats going on at the wheels but I can safely say the weight of the power steering in a Williams is spot on... after all they have power steering in WRCs it cant be that much of a downer.

H22A7 Accord Type R

im going from a 185 55 to a 195 50. the overall diameter of the tyre is about 8or9mm less, so if any effect on ur speedo, u will be going a tad slower than it says........as for the extra grip.......im sure i will find out next week

Quote: Originally posted by RobFenn on 26 February 2003

Accleration will be better most probably, it will be top speed thats effected as wider tyres are obviously less aerodynamic.
WHAT!!!!

were talking a less than 1% increase in frontal area!

Dont worry about it dan, itll be a cheaper tyre, more modern (nobody uses that size anymore, well not performance cars) and will only be beneficial.

You wont get any decreases in accel or top speeds, but a tad more grip will be there...

Well you notice it in a Smart, standard smarts were giving Brabus smarts a beating on the L2R where everyone was on their limiters lol!!

So yes you will get a difference, you just wont notice it.

R30BC... Let me know how you get on mine are just about shot and Im eyeing up a nice set of toyos... hopefully in the bigger size.

H22A7 Accord Type R

will do, i got some toyo proxies sat at home waiting to go on, 195/50........... £29 each!!!!!!!! BARGAIN EH!!! http://www.mytyres.netwww.mytyres.net the 185/55 are much more expensive! more grip for less cash!