ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Owner of a regular Clio looking for advice to improve performance

Clio IV
Hello all
About three years ago I leased a new Clio eqipped with the 1.2 litre TCe engine. The car has served me well so far without a hitch. The lease is up in a few months and I'm gonna keep the car as my own. Naturally, I feel like now that the car is going to be properly mine I can think about tweaking it.
My own preference is to install a cat-back and or upgrade the intercooler. Still I have no idea if there's any available on the market for my car.
I know this is a forum for RS versions of the Clio but I couldn't find any better place to find useful advice. So I'd be grateful for some pointers even if it's a flat out "no, It's a bad idea, don't touch your car you idiot".

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
slap the above on with a set if clio 172 injectors and you will see circa 140bhp. Intercooler will need to be custom thrown together as there arnt any off the shelf kits. Protoxide in Italy are about the only people who make a decat pipe, any exhaust place can knock up a cat back though.

I had mine mapped by Chris at efi parts and will defo be going back there again soon.

defo do it, you will have similar torque also so will jump alot of bigger engined cars and generally make it alot nicer to drive, wont set the world on fire but makes things alot more fun.

Rather than spending a grand on making a slow car slightly less slow but more expensive to insure ;) spend a grand on the High Performance Course - you will be faster where it is safe to be faster, slower where you should be slower, and safer because you'll anticipate potential accidents better.

You can also 'transfer' that grand spent to any car you drive, anywhere, at any time, rather than pouring it into one car in the form of parts and watching the whole thing depreciate like a stone ;)

The bonus right now is that for just 30-odd quid (IIRC), you can join them on a Young Driver training day on 27th July:

Bring a good attitude and you will go far! If you pass the full HPC course, I believe you get to do things like drive round Millbrook Proving Ground and even crazy stuff like ice driving in Norway or something like that. :)

Last edited:
  Clio IV
Induction, intercooler, remap, exhaust. Not in that order haha

@Adeyspec has a played with D4FT.
I make sure I get the order right ;)
slap the above on with a set if clio 172 injectors and you will see circa 140bhp. Intercooler will need to be custom thrown together as there arnt any off the shelf kits. Protoxide in Italy are about the only people who make a decat pipe, any exhaust place can knock up a cat back though.

I had mine mapped by Chris at efi parts and will defo be going back there again soon.

defo do it, you will have similar torque also so will jump alot of bigger engined cars and generally make it alot nicer to drive, wont set the world on fire but makes things alot more fun.
Sounds good, is there something I should look for to make sure the cat back is good quality? Of course other than going to a reputable shop :p
By the way, isn't deleting cat illegal?

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
probably illegal yes, not sure on the actual rules of it? its there for MOT tests;)

Minimum of 2inch bore, would probably benefit being bigger but the cat/downpipe will restrict everything anyway. You will reach the limit of the turbo before needing anything bigger tbh. Having a turbo inline keeps the noise down as well, mine is 2 inch all the way back off the turbo to one box and isn't too intrusive.

Clio IV
Rather than spending a grand on making a slow car slightly less slow but more expensive to insure ;) spend a grand on the High Performance Course - you will be faster where it is safe to be faster, slower where you should be slower, and safer because you'll anticipate potential accidents better.

You can also 'transfer' that grand spent to any car you drive, anywhere, at any time, rather than pouring it into one car in the form of parts and watching the whole thing depreciate like a stone ;)

The bonus right now is that for just 30-odd quid (IIRC), you can join them on a Young Driver training day on 27th July:

Bring a good attitude and you will go far! If you pass the full HPC course, I believe you get to do things like drive round Millbrook Proving Ground and even crazy stuff like ice driving in Norway or something like that. :)
Appreciate the advice but unfortunately fate has deemed fit for me to be stuck somewhere with practically no racing spirit; there's not even a track anywhere within a 200 km radius, my only option is going karting. But I digress, my goal here is to improve the performance of my daily driver not build a track car.

Clio IV
probably illegal yes, not sure on the actual rules of it? its there for MOT tests;)

Minimum of 2inch bore, would probably benefit being bigger but the cat/downpipe will restrict everything anyway. You will reach the limit of the turbo before needing anything bigger tbh. Having a turbo inline keeps the noise down as well, mine is 2 inch all the way back off the turbo to one box and isn't too intrusive.
Thanks again. Regarding the intercooler, do I go for the same size as stock but better quality or does it have to be bigger to have an impact ?

Clio 197,with megan'
From home to track, 200KM would be wonderful!. September, I travel to Oulton,(Around 550 miles). then onto Anglesea for track days, then back to N/E Scotland, including mileage on track, around 1600miles, Spa, for me , is around 1200 miles one way.and yes, I go there as well!. and at 79 years old, if I can do it, so can you. Don't let distance put you off. Life is very short.

Clio IV
From home to track, 200KM would be wonderful!. September, I travel to Oulton,(Around 550 miles). then onto Anglesea for track days, then back to N/E Scotland, including mileage on track, around 1600miles, Spa, for me , is around 1200 miles one way.and yes, I go there as well!. and at 79 years old, if I can do it, so can you. Don't let distance put you off. Life is very short.
You are right about distance not being a factor, still, going to the track needs a track car and it comes with expenses that I cannot afford atm. I definitely hope I can do what you do at such age. Credit to your will and enthusiasm. (y)

Clio 197,with megan'
You are right about distance not being a factor, still, going to the track needs a track car and it comes with expenses that I cannot afford atm. I definitely hope I can do what you do at such age. Credit to your will and enthusiasm. (y)
I run only one car,a Meglio, and it does Tesco/track days,, so I don't fell you need a car, dedicated to track use. My car is very capable on road/track, BUT, the old git driving it lets it down!.

Appreciate the advice but unfortunately fate has deemed fit for me to be stuck somewhere with practically no racing spirit; there's not even a track anywhere within a 200 km radius, my only option is going karting. But I digress, my goal here is to improve the performance of my daily driver not build a track car.
Are you in the UK or overseas?

The HPC course is what you are looking for - a road driving training course:

As the website says:
The Course takes place in your own car, predominantly on the public road. However, you will also spend half a day on a proving ground or other suitable facility, to provide a safe environment in which to receive coaching on higher speed cornering, braking and general car control skills.