ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Oz SuperL 16s or 17s

Howdy, just looking for a quick bit of feedback from those "in the know".

Am changing my alloys next week for 16"Oz SuperLs with Toyo Proxes all round, but have this little nagging doubt in the back of my mind (dont u hate it when that happens!). Would I be better moving to 17"Oz SuperLs, or does the car actually handle better with 16s? I reckon it would probably look better with 17s, but am really more concerned about drivability over looks. Also, there is a 99.9% chance its going to get lowered a bit as well and one of the garages I spoke to said I might have a rubbing problem at the back if I use 17s.

Also........am using Elite (close to me) to fit, align, balance etc. Anyone had any experience of them? I searched the forums for them, but didnt seem to get any results.

Cheers all.......

Renault Laguna Coupe

You can lower up to 30mm no problem with 17s. Any more and youll get a bit of rubbing. I dont think youll notice any difference driving with 17s or 16s, although in theory the car will be faster off the mark with 16s.

If I had this dilemma (cant afford it) Id get the 17s.

I just called Elite to see if they would have some 17s in to look at when I go there. They told me that 17s might look better, but 16s have a better ride quality (and are cheaper!!!) - so I guess its going to be the 16 then!!

Cheers for the input telford_mike!

Depends on what tyre profile youve gone for. 16s could have a bigger or smaller rolling radius than the original wheels, depending on tyre size. E.g. 205/50/16 will be much fatter than 195/45/16 - and the car will handle and accelerate accordingly.

17s will defin. look better and 16s I believe will keep the same rolling radius with the correct choice of tyre. This means your speedo will still read correctly and like you said ride quality on 16s (with correct tyre selection) will be better.

As far as Elite goes - ive used Elite of Rainham and IMHO they are really good. Had my shocks fitted there and had a 4 wheel alignment done afterwards which has sorted the handling out nicely. They arent the cheapest place to go but you pay for what you get (generally).

Astra 1.9cdti XP

One thing to bear in mind with Super ls is that they look smaller than say a Super t in the same size. I have seen a mk2 172 with 16" super ls and they looked errrr smaller than the standard wheels and I didnt particularly like it!!! But wallisj has 17" super ls on his and it looks superb!!!!!!

Thanks for all that......I ended up speaking to a guy at work (he drives a SERIOUSLY modded Scooby that scares the pants off me, but thats another story!). He ended up persuading me that the step up from 16s to 17s is very slight and I wont really notice much of a drop in speed or ride quality. Also told me they will look tons better and handle like a peach if I drop the car down 25-30mm.

17s it is then!!! Just called the supplier and they cant get them until start of January, bugger!!!! Right, no Xmas pressies for anyone this year!!!

No idea - I didnt ask! Woops! I will be speaking to the supplier in the next few days anyway and will get a fixed price then! They originally quoted me £760 for 4 x 16" SuperLs, Toyo Proxes, fitting, balancing and alignment. This was the best price I found for the 16" version, so I imagine, judging roughly by prices on website, I will fork out another £160 or so on top.

Ad

MK2 FRS

Which colour are you going for?? The standard anthracite or the matt silver??

Have you tried demon tweeks. They can offer the Proxes at a really good price, maybe they can do you a better deal.

I was thinking of the standard race silver........and yeah I thought of Demon Tweeks, but Elite are really close to me!

17s have got to be the way to go, as the problem is you will get the 16s and then most likely in 6 months you will want 17s and you will lose money then anyway!! And I have seen a 172 with 17 inch superleggas on and it looked top notch. In my opinion anyway!!

Marcus

Renault Laguna Coupe

Its tempting Fred, I just keep thinking about all the other thigs I could do with £850 - e.g. Viper / Superchip / re-map / quickshift and Id still have change for a beer! Lucky dip for tomorrows draw please miss...

BMW 320d Sport

So where are the best prices on Super L at the moment. WIth decent rubber of course, no Red Squirrel remoulds...

Im thinking of a set of Super L 17s on 205/40/17

NickI reckon that price mentioned by Fred (Wheelmania £85) is damn good, but I really cant be bothered driving from London to Brumland for a saving of £50, probably cost me more on petrol anyway!! For those not too far away, this is a good price.

BMW 320d Sport

So can you get the dark Super Ls without that red writing on them? Or even just in another colour, just not red?

Wow - wallisj, are they the standard race silver finish ones? They look the dogs, mate! Tum, tee, tum......January seems so far away!!! I have to admit, they fill the arches really well. Have you had it lowered at all?

That photo is with 30mm avo springs and 17" SuperL in anthracite grey

It will be slightly raised at the rear tomorrow.

Thanks for you nice comments....i love it personally even though i did kinda copy Fred (obviously good taste mate :) )

Cheers

Jamie

Are Avo springs any good? Trying to get a 30-35mm drop on the best quality springs I can get but Eibach and Koni seem to only supply 20mm drop. Ive got a Mk1 172

The AVO springs are great...although i am selling them for 55 notes is not down to the quality...purely that they are not brill with 17"s on a mk2...they is so little space in the wheel arch with the 17"s the avo drop is just a little too far

Nice ride quality though...not too crashy but look great (i think so anyway)

Ta

J

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

dont forget that 30mm is more like 55mm on a 172

if you have a standard non 172 it will be to high on a 35mm drop

go for 60mm

Lionel Richie

60mm???? eh?? Im gonna order those coilovers, and i plan to have it as low as those cup cars at brands, but on 17s!!!!!!!!!!!

I am sure that Eibach Pro Kit springs are 20mm drop on a Standard MkI or II 172? I think its a 20mm drop + the already lowered height of the 172 anyway

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

hey all, my 172 has bin lowered 25 at front and 30 at back, i have super l 17s on with ar539 tyres the ride is a little harsh on the towns bumpy roads but once on a decent road all is forgotten! my rear left tyre rubs slightly sometimes on full lock or with a full car load this is a combination of a 37mm offset and the fact that the tyres i have ,have a small ridge around the outside, 17s do look the mutts nuts, and there u have it...my two pence. :D

Gotta say that the eibach springs have returned the car to a much more subble ride over bumpy stuff.....much more driveable....

Wonderfull again!!!

Ta

J

Mines the car on page 1 (17" superLs) they are et37 if i remember correctly...they are quite close to the brake caliper on the front but there is room....

Ta

J

are the cups lower than your dynamique fred?

Do you ever have any trouble with speed bumps or that fred? its the only thing thats putting me off the 60 drop