ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Paddle clutch expert needed

BMW 320d Sport

So Im thinking about trying a paddle clutch in my Clio and Im not that well up on whats what. Well Ive got ideas but not sure. Can someone explain exactly:

Why does having paddles instead of a disc make them capable of higher torque loading/greater clamping force onto the flywheel?

Why are they renowned as being heavy and unusable in stop start traffic? Can you slip them at all or is it just on/off?

Do they last any longer than a normal organic disc clutch?

Will they damage my flywheel or need replacing more regularly than a normal clutch?

They have a different material face.

They use either 2 or 3 cerametallic plates which have a greater bite and clam load than the slippy low torque organic ones.

They are a go between of organic and sintered mutiplate clutches. They do not slip amazingly well and are quite jerky, uphil starts in a traffic jam will be difficult. used by rally cars as they can work with teh quick bang hear ganges. They can wear your flywheel face rather quick.

They are heavy due to the high poundage of the cover springs.

I drove a Caterham with paddle clutch, was a nightmare in traffic...on/off took ages to pull of without stalling..very embarassing..:oops:

Unless you have problems whith too much power for a "normal" clutch dont get it. It will only break your gearbox.. The have NO springs to soften the beating between the gearbox and the flywheel. ON-OFF :)

Quote: Originally posted by ruf_ect on 22 May 2003

Unless you have problems whith too much power for a "normal" clutch dont get it. It will only break your gearbox.. The have NO springs to soften the beating between the gearbox and the flywheel. ON-OFF :)

does about 250 horses in a light weight mk1 count as too many horses? and a clutch burning rated at 250+ lbs of torque?

Quote: Originally posted by Ben j on 22 May 2003

does about 250 horses in a light weight mk1 count as too many horses? and a clutch burning rated at 250+ lbs of torque?

I havent been into Renault all that long and dont know what kind of parts that are available. But I think a "normal" clutch whith stronger springs will do the job. It is better to change the clutch onca a year than a gearbox every 2 months..

BTW I Run a standard type clutch om my Ruf Porsche, 3.4litre and 400+ horses. The clutch arent that much bigger than on a clio..

Paddle clutches are ridiculous for the road, theyre fab to use but youd be a liabilty on hills and youll just get bloody annoyed with it! As Ben says theyre generally used on rally cars, which is where they make sense. Its a good laugh watching people getting into cars with a paddle clutch for the first time, they always shoot off wheels spinning!

-Rob

Nick

Is it a standard willy/16vbox u have in your turbo clio, is the box up to all that go, given most struggle a 100k on standard power anyway. Made me think about that six speed uprated box K-Tec have from thier own 5 Turbo, but seems it fits a Mk1 16v/Willy

http://www.k-tecracing.com/catalogue.asp?category=Pre-owned&app=R5http://www.k-tecracing.com/catalogue.asp?category=Pre-owned&app=R5

Pricy though, but would complete your motor, also seen another uprated box with LSD for 16v/Willy for less than a grand on the internet, but cant recall where off top of my head!

Unfortunately the gearing in those boxes isnt great, low down fantastic, but itll top out quite early, about 130 ish, max at a guess.

If you read the advert it doesnt actually say if its dog engagement or not and you have to assume its sequential, why not just put that in the ad?

nick ill chat to my mate he has lots if contacts with renault parts etc he runs a enault sport box in his rally car bear with me mate

there is LSD for 16v/williams for sale, i did a google search for clio williams cams and it came up, it was a grand but it could very usefull for some one with that much power and turbo delivery, my willy engined 16v spins like a good un out of bends, a sudden whack of 250BHP must light up the front wheels out of bends

havnt a clue about the clutch!

Yes the paddle clutch will put tremendous strain on you gearbox. Also will be a bastid for round town driving. My well judder a lot too....

Tim