ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painted wheels...clouding

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
i painted some wheels about 2-3 weeks ago, these were painted as they should have been, ie sanded, primered, sanded, painted, lacquered, etc then left to cure for a week before going on the car, they have now been on the car for a week and they seem to almost be clouding slightly, like a white mist.

anybody got any ideas why and also how i can clean / avoid this?

106 GTi
I would have gone for 3M Imperial Hand Glaze, the Finishing Paste will be fine just may have a little more cut than you may need.

182 inside
sounds like moisture getting under the clear coat. i'd take them off, wet and dry paper them and give it another coat or 2 of lacquer.

Trophy Turbo :)
G3 or G10, Flat the wheels with a 1500 or 2000 Wet and Dry then Polish up with the G3 or G10, T Cut also works just be carefull with it

G3 - More of a paste
G10 less Powerfull (for a better finnish)

106 GTi
Scartch X will be hard work on wet sanding marks.

I use Menzerna Intensive Polish by machine on them.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
^^am unsure i can check that (what does it refer to?)

i spoke to a sprayer tonight and he said that when i compound polished them after they cured that i could of removed the lacquer by doing so, so i should go ver them with it again and then re laquer the wheels and not compound polish, that should be ok

sound about right anyone?

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you compound polished them after painting and they went cloudy, chances are yo polished off the laquer....
A) because your laquer application was too thin,
B) because it was not fully hardened.

i'd give them a good clean and dry, wet n dry them lightly then stick a few more (5/6) coats of laquer on them.

Bluebeard

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I'd personally take them to a paint shop and ask if you can leave them in the oven for a morning while they're painting something else, make it proper hard, phil mitchell style.

Last edited:

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
dan thats what i plan to do with the wheels, i think i did take off the lacquer stage, i will rub them down with 1500 then maybe one coat of colour then the lacquer again.

i can't really leave the lacquer longer than i did before really, all the wheels where left at least a week to cure, something the lad from the spray shop did say was that they don't need that long, 24hrs would be fine or six in an oven / airing cupboard...lol

Freebone given that you sprayed them by hand the paint would have gone on very thick - if you had polished through the laquer it would be patchy as you would not be able to polish through uniformly all over.

1k paint is a cheaper kind used by 'some' smart repairers and guess what it can turn cloudly after a while!

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
wheels are off, the car is on the one good wheel and the spare at the rear and 2 axle stands at the front, all calipers painted whilst at it

3 wheels are in garage, taped tyres, compound polished to remove everything, then coated in a few coats of paint and will be lacquered in a minute, then will be put in my sisters bedroom to bake tonight

Chocolate Bar™
let us know how you get on. catch me on msn / pm if you need anything, but sounds like your virtually sorted :)

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
just done the last coat and thickest of lacquer....will leave that for about 2o mins then put them in sis's room to bake, will then go on the car sunday morning i expect if not tomorrow night

cheers middo will chat to you soon on there anyway