ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting Engine

BG Clio 182
Want to paint the fuel rail, possibly metal section of throttle body and the engine rocker cover.

Don't really fancy removing it as I reckon I'll screw something up.

Can it be done neatly in situation?

Would I just clean it or something then paint some high temp paint on there?

RB Clio 182
Theres only about 7 bolts holding the inlet down mate, and two nuts holding the fuel rail guard on iirc, it will be quicker and better to take them off rather than to mask things up, you might get paint everywhere.

BG Clio 182
Theres only about 7 bolts holding the inlet down mate, and two nuts holding the fuel rail guard on iirc, it will be quicker and better to take them off rather than to mask things up, you might get paint everywhere.
Don't you need new gaskets and s**t though? Won't it like leak or anything? Hahaha.

I fancy doing the job right I just don't want to make a mess of the bloody thing and yet to find a decent enough guide to give me enough confidence to do it :/

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
You don't need a guide mate. It's so straight forward.

Just take your time, concentrate, and don't force anything when putting it back together. Apart from changing a wheel, it's about the easiest job you can do on a Clio.

Re-using the old gaskets is fine as long as you don't stand on them whilst they're off! Lol.

BG Clio 182
You don't need a guide mate. It's so straight forward.

Just take your time, concentrate, and don't force anything when putting it back together. Apart from changing a wheel, it's about the easiest job you can do on a Clio.

Re-using the old gaskets is fine as long as you don't stand on them whilst they're off! Lol.
Right mate lol, I honestly wouldn't want to screw it up, do you just unscrew the obvious bolts and pull the hose out the back? Is it fitting the reversal? Wouldn't I be safer to buy some new gaskets maybe? What would I go for if I did?

It's only air that goes through the inlets. Cover the lower inlet holes (the bit that stays on the car) so nothing gets in whilst the upper inlet is off. You won't need new gaskets.

BG Clio 182
It's only air that goes through the inlets. Cover the lower inlet holes (the bit that stays on the car) so nothing gets in whilst the upper inlet is off. You won't need new gaskets.
Like a newspaper or something just lay it over? Would I be stupid to just polish the wanker up? Would that take too much doing? Ah, I suppose if it's only air then cant be so bad lol. I hate touching things incase I break them.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
Right mate lol, I honestly wouldn't want to screw it up, do you just unscrew the obvious bolts and pull the hose out the back? Is it fitting the reversal? Wouldn't I be safer to buy some new gaskets maybe? What would I go for if I did?
Even as a beginner, Basic tools, 30 minutes and you'll have it in bits on the floor.

Clean it, Paint it, leave to dry, refit in reverse order. If you get it wrong, just undo what you've done and start again. As my mate says, It's just nuts and bolts.

For painting it, just use a can if hammerite silver aerosol. Makes it look much cleaner. And much less gay than bright red/yellow.

WP_20150411_16_41_33_Pro.jpg
take it all off to paint, sooo much easier. Couple of connectors to take off. One on the coils pack, one each side of the upper inlet. One on the throttle body. Engine cover off if you have one. 4x10mm bolts to remove coil pack from the upper inlet. 4x10mmm bolts to remove upper inlet, might be a bit sticky at the front because of the gasket. 2x10mm bolts holding the fuel rail protector on. Go steady with these as they are prone to shearing off. As already mentioned take your time and if unsure take some pics along the way. Once its all off its just a bit of masking and spray away. Easy.

Last edited:
Like a newspaper or something just lay it over? Would I be stupid to just polish the wanker up? Would that take too much doing? Ah, I suppose if it's only air then cant be so bad lol. I hate touching things incase I break them.
Yeah just cover the holes with some paper or shove a bit of tissue down them (make sure it doesn't go all the way down though!). Nothing should go down it anyway, but it's better to be safe :)

BG Clio 182
I'll take it off for you in 5 mins if you want me to come to yours :)
Haha what a kind offer, I would say yes to that mate but would feel a bit gay asking lol XD.

I don't know whether to polish or spray it black or something.

I haven't got any paints or f**k all yet though :(

BG Clio 182
View attachment 136207 take it all off to paint, sooo much easier. Couple of connectors to take off. One on the coils pack, one each side of the upper inlet. One on the throttle body. Engine cover off if you have one. 4x10mmm bolts to remove upper inlet, might be a bit sticky at the front because of the gasket. 2x10mm bolts holding the fuel rail protector on. Go steady with these as they are prone to shearing off. As already mentioned take your time and if unsure take some pics along the way. Once its all off its just a bit of masking and spray away. Easy.
That looks good, probably go black with mine tbh

BG Clio 182
More than 4 holding the upper inlet on, theres 1 either side of the coil pack and 4-5 along the bottom.
I took my mates corsa front bumper off yesterday, at midnight to put some new sidelights in for him. Haha what a mistake. At 1 in the morning, having all but 1 bolt off I realised I wasn't, and will never be mechanically minded.

I think the pivotal moment was when I had sheared 3 bolts off and had to drill one out that I realised it was something I shouldn't be doing. LOL

BG Clio 182
ta very much. Post up some pics when its done.

Will do lol. Just trying to tidy it up in there as the car's pretty much there in most other ways, I've gone with a pretty awesome strut brace which adds some feature to it but the engine looks s**t tbh. Lol. Yours looks very well sorted mate looks brilliant.

its as good as I can get it with the time available. Longer term I want to change the coolant hoses for some forge blue ones and replace the coolant bottle while its being done. Just down to time and money at the moment..

Stay Puft

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Bump..

Fitting my new upper inlet manifold tonight, can I take the gasket off of the old one and put it on the new one?

(Don't laugh.. I can't even fix a puncture).

The above seems to be if you're refitting the same one.

Last edited:
  RB Clio 182
Bump..

Fitting my new upper inlet manifold tonight, can I take the gasket off of the old one and put it on the new one?

(Don't laugh.. I can't even fix a puncture).

The above seems to be if you're refitting the same one.

Yes mate as long as its flat and hasn't been bent creased or damaged.