ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting the grills

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Hey there.

Looking at my clio the other day and thought the plastic looked a bit dull on it.

I was thinking of painting the grills, fog surrounds and rear bumper insert to freshen them up.

Anyone done this? What colour you go for? What's the closest colour to standard?

Thanks, Sam!

E46 M3
Ive thought this too, mines got a blue tint to it, back and black and similar makes no difference.

Daz.

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 200 RS EDC
Just buy new ones you cheapo's!

You've only just noticed in what 5 years? Buy a new set, by the time you notice again you'll have probably sold the car anyway :)

Jekyll

ClioSport Club Member
im currently selling front lower grill for a 172/182 on ebay.....

!CCtmu,!CGk~$(KGrHqQOKiYE0FYIWgsDBNMEjmJYKQ~~_35.jpg

'06 Black FF 197
that C4 stuff works wonders, well on the video at least, I am going to give it a try as my 197s grills are also faded... if that works I am going to be really pleased! anyone tried any other of their stuff?

"Navy" N17 TWO
What grade sandpaper have people used to get a good key for the paint, without leaving any scratch marks? :)

gdw

RS Clio 172
that C4 does look pretty good like certainly seems ALOT better then the AG Bumper Care product.

-J-

RS2'ed 172 Cup
that C4 stuff works wonders, well on the video at least, I am going to give it a try as my 197s grills are also faded... if that works I am going to be really pleased! anyone tried any other of their stuff?

I have not used a bad product from gtechniq yet!

The Alloy wheel Sealent (C5) and the Bodywork Sealent (C2) are amazingly good!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Neat job that ^ mate :)

Would never of thought of the brillo pad but is a good idea, rough enough to get the primer/paint to key.

Halfords Grey primer and satin Black I'm guessing?

VIICarCare

ClioSport Club Member
  255, 230, 172, R26
did mine on both clio's .... rough up the grill, clean, prime then apply your chosen paint. Satin was my choice.

Neat job that ^ mate :)

Would never of thought of the brillo pad but is a good idea, rough enough to get the primer/paint to key.

Halfords Grey primer and satin Black I'm guessing?

Cheers, but I can't take full credit!!

I used Hycote grey plastic primer and a satin black rattle can... Looks miles better!

Brillo pad is just enough to rough it up but doesn't key too deep, just be sure to wash off all the plastic filings/dust before spraying!

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
how do the front grills come off? anyone got a guide as id like to do it this weekend, thanks

From memory:

2 plastic head screw/stopper things that are obvious when you open the bonnet, located in the top corner of each side of the grill, should prise out with a flat head screwdriver...

Move the bonnet shut sensor thingy....again obvious from looking when your there...

Then work your way around the grill, it is just clipped/pushed in all the way around from the edges right in to the middle of the bumper where the diamond is. You may find that road grime etc has wedged it quite tightly, so you might require some gentle persuasion with a hammer wrapped in a rag etc to get it off...

To re fit reverse the above after spraying. I take no responsibility if you crack it or put holes through your bumper lol! That's just how I did it!

"Navy" N17 TWO
The reason why I was asking about the primer, I sprayed my boot handle and a few other small bits last summer without using a primer and it has held on ok :)