ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

painting wheels yourself

Beetle
I recently did my williams wheels myself in the back garden. Firstly i sanded them completely smooth all over, then gave 2 coats of primer, a bit more sanding where it ran a bit, then 3 coats of paint (just used rattle cans) then 3 coats of clear laquer. I'm pleased with the results of mine and they haven't chipped having been on the car nearly a month.
Pics of the progress here, did it all in one day. People recommend you should take more time though to let the layers fully harden before applying the next layer, but i was too impatient:rasp:
As i bought them, gold
allclean.jpg

Masked and sanded
frontmask.jpg

Primered and sanded
primered.jpg

After 3 coats of paint
done.jpg

After the 3 coats of laquer
laquered4.jpg

laqueredclose.jpg

And on the car
br13sml.jpg

The more preparation you do the better the result will be, take your time and try not to put the paint on too thick, but at the same time you want a nice even coverage:)

Beetle
less than £30, had to buy grades of sandpaper, 4 tins of paint, 3 tins of primer, and 3 tins of laquer

Israeli 172 ph1
how did you sand them? with sandpaper?! how many hours did it take and it doesnt leave marks?

and yeah i would like to know the exact color please.

len_beach

ClioSport Club Member
  E92 M3,172 track car
What I think Scott means is he used different grades of wet and dry during the preperation. Sand paper or glass paper as it is now known would chew the wheels up in no time.
The wet and dry is used on a block but mainly by hand on wheels and allows a good smooth keying surface.
Pedantic I know but one or two people seem a little confused.

They do look fantastic. I want to do my Turinis at some point.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
looks good, garden is a bad choice though, all the bits in the air and what not getting blown onto the paint!!

Beetle
Sorry for the late reply been at the east midlands meet all day:)

Garden wasn't the ideal place to do them but there was no wind at all and it was a warm day so i took the oppurtunity to do it.
I'm ashamed to tell you the colour but it is Rover :)o) gunmetal grey. I just bought the rattle cans from a local motormania place, cheaper than halfords ;)
Yeah sorry Len Beach was right, i meant i used grades of wet and dry paper not regular sand paper, as i wanted a smooth finish and a surface that the paint would key to. They didn't really take all that long to sand but the wheels were near enough immacutlate with next to no kerbing or paint bubbling. As i said before though take your time on the preperation to get a better overall finish

howie p said:
forgot to say they look brilliant!!
Thanks mate, i'm pleased with how they came out:)