ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Part Time courses

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Has anyone on here done a part time course in Photography?

It's something I'm thinking of. Any info would be great. :approve:

I did an evening course. Complete waste of time.

It was mostly teaching old people how to get pictures off the camera and how to open them in photoshop. Very little on shutter/aperture or anything else technical.

The hour a week you'd go on the course would far better spent just taking pictures yourself. Look on flickr at shots you like. Look at the settings used and try and re-create them. Think about your composition and what you want to achieve. Then keep doing it. Then do it some more.

It costs nothing to shoot with digital so if you take 2,000 pictures and one is good, then that just means you need to practice more. Lol.

Photography isn't something you can be taught to a certain degree. You need to know what the buttons do and the difference between f2 and f32 but the majority of it is you learning and seeing how you get on.

If you want a book to read then 'Understanding Exposure' is very good.

But otherwise just practice practice practice.

Ray Gin

ClioSport Club Member
  Cupra Leon & Impreza
Hmm, doesn't sound too appealing.

Have a bit of info from one site, this is one of the courses I was interested in.

Who is this course for?

This exciting course has been developed for those who now have a digital camera and would love to know more about how to create great images!

The lecturer will take you through three stages:
  • Exploring available resources to develop basic digital photography skills
  • Exploring and developing your own ideas creatively, using Adobe Photoshop
  • Creating, presenting and reviewing your finished photographs
All digital photography students will have the option of exhibiting their images in the SRC Digital Photography Exhibition at the end of the course.

While you're having fun learning, you'll be able to gain a qualification in Level 1 Creative Craft (Digital Photography). This could even be the first step in a new career for someone! We hope to run this course in Armagh on Thursday evening, Banbridge on Monday evening, Lurgan on Wednesday evening and Newry on Monday evening. Next year you can progress to the Intermediate (Level 2) course.

How long is this course for?
24 weeks, 2.5 hours per week

Attendance Part-Time

Hopefully it's not full of wrinklys.

RIP Dan
Yes and mine was the opposite to Revels course.

The guy was a tech and taught us the tech, ie aperture/shutter stuff, F stops etc etc.

Whilst I totally agree Photography cannot be taught, I feel that the tech stuff can, it's the eye for a photo which can't.

Some have it naturally and some don't. I don't.

The course I did was run by my mate (a pro photog) and we spent time in class and out and about shooting with him putting what we had learnt into practice.

It really helped me out.

proton compact 1.3 GLi
i did one this time last year, i knew the basics but it just help things fall into place, balancing f stops with shutter and iso's, just gave me a better understanding of it all, but that would have come with experiance anyway, we went through a few more advanced techniques like hyper focal distancing, but in all honesty i didnt pick up alot, but it was great to meet other people with the same intrest.

"Navy" N17 TWO
I'm starting a 2 year HND in Photography in the morning - excited is an understatement! :approve:

I did a GCSE in photography 1990-92. School only had fully manual slr's and could only stretch to black and white film, which you had to load onto reels (film cassettes) yourself!

It didn't teach me what makes a great picture, but it taught me everything about exposure, f stops, iso, shutter speeds etc working the hard way on a basic manual film slr that wouldn't make £1 on ebay today! Printing in the darkroom was ace!

Would recommend it to anyone wanting to learn about the technical side but if you don't have an 'eye' for a good shot you still won't after the course!

Kids today don't know their born with their digital slr's :eek: