ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

partial engine reconditioning

Hi, had some bad news from the garage today. The ticking from my 16vs engine turns out to be serious, and they recommended a partial engine reconditioning and new clutch.(the garage can be trusted) I am prob gona go for it, as the other option is sell it, and im to honest and would feel bad about selling it on knowing the engine needs attention asap.

I was just wondering if anyone knows of anything I can get done to the engine which will help with it performance, while its being reconditioned. Im thinking of stuff like Port & Polish. I need a bit of help here; im not very mechanically minded and want to make the most of this situation.

Regards Adam

P.S its been a bad day :(

TOtally depends on how much you are willing to spend. A few hundred quid won get you very far in terms of new components and work done.

My cylinder heads cost 450 quid and PM me for details if interested.

Cams depending on profile cost either under 200 quid or over 400 quid from blanks.

And im assuming were not moving along the lines of throttle bodies etc.

What exactly is the ticking

humm yea seems a bit out my price range :)

the ticking sound like tappits x 10. it only makes the ticking on every 1 out of 5 starts, but they recon its run low on oil at some point and has cause the bearings to wear.

basically its very rough and loud compared to other cars.

they quoted about 1500 GBP, including the new clutch, labour, and a number of things being polished.

:eek:

How can they quote you on a repair to which they dont even fully know the problem!!!!

and 1500 quid!!!!!!

If its your main or big end bearing oil pressure shoud be very poor and itll be a knock, not a tick.

I think they may be getting ready to pull yor pants down.

1500 quid, get a new bloody engine!

how much does a new engine and labour cost?

pluss how much would u expect to pay for what i said they said 1500 for?

Skoda Fabia vRS

where are you from mate ?

if i was you id take the car to Andy at GDI

or if thats too far maybe Hill Power, BB, or K-Tec ?

oh and they said they were as sure as they can be without taking the sump out or sumit to check the bearing, which would take ages and cost lots of labour

Quote: Originally posted by BRUN on 19 March 2004

where are you from mate ?

if i was you id take the car to Andy at GDI

or if thats too far maybe Hill Power, BB, or K-Tec ?
i live in the middlands, worcester. do u know of the top of ur head where the above are located?

GDI is near cambridge.

But for 1500 quid i would expect a full engine rebuild, not a partial one. ANd that means every bearing under the sun replaced, new rings, rebore and hone, full top end rebuild with tappets, cleaning of valves, new stem seals.

A new or decent engine can be had for about 200 for a 1.8 and 500-800 for a willy if your pepared to pay that much, and labour should be no more than 300 for the swap.

the only problem with a replacment engine is i dont knwo the condition of it, it might be as bad or worse

i did see that williams engine on ebay from a guy on here, but still dont know what im buying. :((

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

tappet sounds..... i would first try some forte top end treatment.....

its about £15 and can keep the top end going for a few 1000 miles...

if that does not work then a good listen to the tappets

after that first of all check the tappets... they are about £200 ish in parts to replace..... that will of course intale the cams being removed and cam belt off... if its not been very recently changed then that should be done too....

bottom end sounds are quite different to top end noise... if the noise goes after a few seconds then its deffo the lifters...

thanks for the info, but what are lifters?

and sorry i should have mentioned before the tappits have been checked and said to be ok.

would a full engine rebuild at 1500 be a fair price? including the new clutch?

bb charge 1399 without a clutch, so it seems fair.

ps, thanks for all your help so far

Quote: Originally posted by epic on 19 March 2004

would a full engine rebuild at 1500 be a fair price? including the new clutch?

bb charge 1399 without a clutch, so it seems fair.

ps, thanks for all your help so far
that includes the labour, all parts and polishing. for a full rebuild do you think its good or bad?

Revels Mum & Sister

I had a to replace my Valver engine as I am sure ben can remember.

52,000 mile lump. Had new clutch and other bits abd Bobs. Including the engine and Old out and new in etc.

Cost me £850

GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider

what we tend to recomend...

get a known good condition engine (williams etc)

replace:

Cam belt

upper and lower tensioners

Water pump

aux belt tensioner if required

clutch

(cams if your thinking about it anyway - hardly any labour with it out)

that way its much cheaper and you get an engine with all the nasty bits done....

(this is what smokey did and others are doing)...

Andy

GDI