ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PAS belt problem?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
First off, A very Merry Christmas to all! Wish you all the best for 2012!

I have a problem with my 182 when I put the steering of full lock or when there is pressure on the steering; when on full lock a cheeping sound comes front he engine (from the aux belt im guessing), is the normal? doe it mean my aux belt has been fitted incorrectly and need to be looked at again?! or is it a comman thing with PAS that I dont need to worry about?!

Many thanks :)

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Could be the pump rather than the belt. Has it recently been changed hence the question?

Mick

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
Taking the rack to its stops puts pressure on the pump, not unusual on any car to get a bit of belt slip on any car

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
Depends how good you are twirling the spanners. I'd give it a Haynes rating of 4 spanners

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
when you say the pump is on the way out, does that mean the noise is coming from inside the pump or is it still from the belt slipping? Basically i dont want the AUX belt to snap/come off and the result in the cam belt snapping etc... I have to drive another 500 or so before I can get to a place where it can be looked at...

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
when you say the pump is on the way out, does that mean the noise is coming from inside the pump or is it still from the belt slipping? Basically i dont want the AUX belt to snap/come off and the result in the cam belt snapping etc... I have to drive another 500 or so before I can get to a place where it can be looked at...

Anyone got an answer to this ^^^ :)

Happy New Years eve!

Clio172 / Focus Ti X
When was the belt last changed and has it done it since then if recently? Does it whine/squeak more when you turn the wheel with the car sitting still? When you turn it does the steering become jerky and wont turn smooth?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
1. about 4000miles ago and yes
2. not really, its the same whenever the car is moving slower than 5mph
3. yes, you can hear the tyers jumping instead of moving smoothly

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
My car whines like hell all the time - I'm fairly sure it's the pump as all tensioners and idlers have already been replaced.

How much are they and what is the general overview of fitting? Is it just an auxbelt off job? Do I recall correctly that removing the pipes was a pain in the arse?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Went to renault today about this, they have quoted £700 to repair! What a joke, I can get a whole engine for that amount!!! Does anybody have instructions on how to do this DIY method?

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
how much!!!!! should be roughly half that for a reconditioned pump, full aux kit and fitting

clio sport 172(ish)
mine`s been doing that on full lock ,found out that the bolts top and bottom of the tensioner had snaped off,had to take quite abit off to get at the bracket and tentioner to get the bit of bolt out ,now its back to norm hurry!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Im hoping mine will be something along the lines of this as it looks like the tensioner is stuck. Fingers crossed!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Well I took the car into Carlton garage in Exmouth today and got it looked at; apparently its the PAS pump that has gone which is also making the tensioner jump upwards and hit the belt. Should be all fixed by end of play tomorrow! Very excited about getting it back :)

incy-spider

ClioSport Club Member
Well I took the car into Carlton garage in Exmouth today and got it looked at; apparently its the PAS pump that has gone which is also making the tensioner jump upwards and hit the belt. Should be all fixed by end of play tomorrow! Very excited about getting it back :)

I'm a genius!! Glad it all worked out for ya!

Audi A3
how much that cost you in the end?

could your PAS 'pop' so to speak taking out your aux belt and then cambelt?

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I think the belt slipping on the pully could cause damage to the belt and lead to it snapping. Also as my tensioner was cutting into the belt, I think it most certainly would have snapped. It cost just over £400 for everything in the end (PAS pump, bits needed for connection, aux belt kit and labour).