ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PAS Pump or somethink associated on its way out !!!!!!

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Started the car and a horrible screeching noise while trying to turn. Checked the resevoir and it has lost some fluid ! Either the pump is leaking or soemthin related ?

Ive never seen the pump due to the position of it !

Any tips for the best way to get at it and remove it without any ramps ?

Bumper and light removal ?

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
Mine went a few weeks ago. My PAS fluid was black and filthy just before mine went. Pump was really howling then the bearing collapsed.

Bumper and light, slam panel, aux belt off, alternator out and top engine mount off. Wasnt a terrible job, made easier if you have an aux belt tensioner tool (easliy made). I done it on axle stands.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Cool i will have to take alook on the weekend, its typical ive owned the car a year and had various jobs to do and its just typical that another problem occurs ! I think it probably is the pump but i guess only one way to find out !

If i remove the top engine mount off does it need to be supported or is ok with the top engine mount removed ?

Westy. MX5
You dont need to undo the top mount unless you are fixing something else, if you do remove it support the engine with a trolley jack, it will only drop down about 4 inches until it rests on the subframe.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
Just going to check to see if its leaking from the pressure switch all the fluid has gone from the reservoir and it looks really black and dirty around where the switch screws into the pipework ! I hope its just this and not the pump itself !

Westy. MX5
A couple of 172's had broken their pipes where they screw into the pump, during a track day at Bedford. Hope it is just a pipe mate.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
i cant see any visible leaks from the pipes but its leaking on the drive. going to remove the wheel to see if i can see from there. i reckon its from the bearing.
whats the best way to get a good look at the pump without removing the belts etc ?

clio 182
bugger i should have checked out this thread befor posting mine. bedford must be a pump killer because thats where mine went. Rubbish.

finch wxm

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 172
i think its prbably the bearing because just before it started leaking i did hear a noise when the VVT kicked in and im sure it would do it again if i drove it