ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Passenger airbag (turn off)

How do you turn the passenger airbag off, its essential i find out as the wife is due to have the baby in two weeks and its illegal to place a baby seat in the front without turning it off. Its a mk1 172 exclusive and doesnt have the key slot that comes with the new ones to turn it off. There is a fuse panel on the left hand side of the dash board with a fuse for airbag but i dont want to turn off the driver and side airbags aswell.

Help!!!:oops:

Ang

Pink/Blue 182

on mine...there is a lock on the passenger door that u can turn to the off position...

® Andy

ClioSport Club Member
  Illiad V6 255

Unfortunately on Mk1 I dont think you can override it :( Well not without doing something drastic like taking out the fuses like you mentioned.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2

Quote: Originally posted by pete savill on 24 April 2005

buy a proper car
Mmmmm very helpful.

Scribbler, I think unless you can remove the fuse, the little chap going to be in the back with Mrs.

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

disconnect the wiring for the airbag and wire a resistor in (no idea what value, but im sure someone will know).

If you wanted, you could technically wire a switch in to switch it the airbag and the resistor... but thats maybe going a bit far...

Golf Mk6 Oil Burner

I know what you mean mate, i have 12 week old baby but have the key slot in mine to turn off.

I would want it to be 100% reliable that it would NOT go off in an accident.

Can be fatal to a baby in a car seat if the airbag goes off!

I would seek some professional advice from an auto-electrician or somethin.

Ford Fiesta

fair enough its an older model, but on most other cars fabia, fiesta etc you need to pay extra for a de activation switch for passenger airbag. this shouldnt be the case. Again renault including lots standard kit.

buy a proper car
= Such as? Heres me thinking i already owned two of the fastest/best cars of their class!;)

[Back to topic]

Yeah i was thinking about soldering inline a simple rocker switch but dont want to trigger the airbag. Just been to look at buying a 225bhp skoda octavia vrs rally today, figured they would be able to turn off the airbag but seems they have the same problem. Although have the added advantage of rear doors so that the baby could go in the back. We have tried a test run butting the baby seat in the back of the clio and its laughable. You have to tip the baby upside down to squeese it past the seat

Ford Fiesta

like i said the VRS its an option to have a switch for the air bag, you pay extra for it.

Scooby STi, FiestaST

mines got the switch but i still feel slightly bothered by putting the little man in the front.... just in case:eek:

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v

Scribbler, just wiring a switch in would trigger the circuit. You really need a resistor to fool the circuit into thinking the airbag is still connected.