ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PBS Brakes Pads Help

Clio 172 ph1
Fitted PBS front pads which have are a great improvement over my old EBC pads. However they squeal like mad at low speeds.

Any suggestions what I could do to stop this? or do I need to buy ear plugs?

All sorts of anti-squeal greases/lubricants you can buy and apply to the pad’s backing plate. Wouldn’t recommend adhesive anti squeal foam pads however, as the adhesive can get hot and smokey as it melts during track use.

Some pads just get quieter after the first few miles.

But generally it’s the trade off you’re stuck with if you want them to work well when being very aggressive on track.

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I'm on my 4th set of PBS fronts and they've always been silent on the road.

Have you still got the anti rattle shims in? You need to remove them if you have.

Clio 172 ph1
I'm on my 4th set of PBS fronts and they've always been silent on the road.

Have you still got the anti rattle shims in? You need to remove them if you have.

Ah yeah I do have the shims fitted, thought they needed to be. So I'm guessing removing them will help a lot

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I filed my f3 Mintex down and kept the shims and they're thus far silent and pretty aggressive on the road. Find out Saturday if they're worthy of track use too. Upto now though very impressed having come from cl rc6

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I filed my f3 Mintex down and kept the shims and they're thus far silent and pretty aggressive on the road. Find out Saturday if they're worthy of track use too. Upto now though very impressed having come from cl rc6
Told you they were good 😂 First time I got them hot I thought I was gonna go through the windscreen!

Also, My PBS pads squeal like f**k at low speeds!

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
Erm a few hundred miles and then a track day round bedford.

Great news ..... guess ear plugs it is!!

So you didn't do about 10 stops from about 90 to 30mph to bed them in?

That's what I do on all mine.

Take it for a drive on the road and give them death, they're probably glazed that's why they're squealing.

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
I did the above and mine are great. I daily the car and dont have any squealing from the pads.

When I did the bedding in there was a speed van parked up near my mums. I was at the 30 part at the time luckily

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I did the above and mine are great. I daily the car and dont have any squealing from the pads.

When I did the bedding in there was a speed van parked up near my mums. I was at the 30 part at the time luckily

I've seen it done on axle stands at Oulton on @Danith's Civic, when Tensport changed the front pads on the day.

Pretty mad way of doing it but it worked haha.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
I bedded mine in 30mph- 10mph then 70- 30mph x3 and then a couple of 120-30mph

Obviously it was done on track...

But I have massive brake ducts so on the road I cant get the pads hot enough unless I drove like a completely f**k-knuckle

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I bedded mine in 30mph- 10mph then 70- 30mph x3 and then a couple of 120-30mph

Obviously it was done on track...

But I have massive brake ducts so on the road I cant get the pads hot enough unless I drove like a completely f**k-knuckle

I have cooling too, the way to get around it without blocking the ducts is to do the stops one after the other in quick succession.

"Of course it was done on private road"

liar.jpg

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Always have to do it at night round here it's that busy.

I might try it on stands next time :unsure:
I had a 1.2 8v in once that needed the brakes cleaning up for MOT. Rather than take the wheels off and stick them on the lathe I just opted to shove 2 ramps under it and I sat at about 50mph holding my left foot on the brakes😂

After about 15 mins I had to give up because the discs started to glow😂😂 it's scary though because 1 wrong move and the car is hitting the deck and you're going through the garage doors😂

JamesBryan

ClioSport Club Member
I had a 1.2 8v in once that needed the brakes cleaning up for MOT. Rather than take the wheels off and stick them on the lathe I just opted to shove 2 ramps under it and I sat at about 50mph holding my left foot on the brakes😂

After about 15 mins I had to give up because the discs started to glow😂😂 it's scary though because 1 wrong move and the car is hitting the deck and you're going through the garage doors😂

Yeah you have to be a bit careful, but i reckon if you reacted quick enough you could soon stop the wheels with there being no load as such to slow down.

Keep the rear wheels on the deck too, just the fronts in the air.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah you have to be a bit careful, but i reckon if you reacted quick enough you could soon stop the wheels with there being no load as such to slow down.

Keep the rear wheels on the deck too, just the fronts in the air.
Yeah that's what I did with my hand on the handbrake😂

My dad was too calm for the situation😂 He said he topped his old Polo out at 110mph on jack stands🤦‍♂️ Ruthless c**t