ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC build - advise please

Cupra
After my graphics card giving up the other week, I have decided to treat myself to a new PC after nearly 5 years with the old one.

I need the complete system and have a budget of 700-1000 pounds (exluding screen/ keyboard, speakers etc)

So far my list is the following

• Processor Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
  • Motherboard Asus P5N32-E SLI
  • Cooling Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro (Socket 775)
  • Ram Kingston 1GB x 2 (2GB) PC6400 DDR2 CL4
  • Videocard Sapphire Radeon X1950 PRO 256MB DDR3
  • Soundcard CREATIVE Soundblaster Audigy Se Bulk
  • Hardedrives 2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - 320GB
  • Case Antec Nine Hundred
  • Power Tagan TG700-U25, 700W (EPS12V 2.9)

Any variations, suggestions welcome!

I'm sure you could easily fit an 8800GTS inside your budget. It will totally own the Radeon. You didn't mention what you will be using the PC for though?

Cupra
Photo/ video editing and games at the weekend.

I was not sure what was better the 8800GTS of the x1950... have always been a radeon user but am happy to change. 8800 it is..

^^p**n is not too demanding on a system. :)

Cool, I was going to suggest that the newer AMD X2 5600+ compares well for less money, but if you're going to be doing video editing and the likes, then definitely 100% stick with the Conroe platform as it is the better CPU for sure.

Also, why not consider using the onboard audio. Sure, it'll put a small load on your CPU (over and above with a soundcard) but that's a monster processor.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Onboard sound sucks, end of. SNR of any onboard sound goes out the window, unless something fairly premium like the 24-bit Live on my Gigabyte 1975X...

It all depnds on his speakers though? Without a super speaker system then the onboard would be perfectly servicable. Just a thought. A possibilty to save a few pennies if the budget is tight. A soundcard (far better one) could easily be added at a later date :)

Cupra
Thanks for the reactions.

The Audigy is also only 12 pounds or there abouts, I can't justify the step up to the X-FI Xtreme Gamer as I only have a 4.1 speaker set which is not exactly fantastic.

I have never done a self build before but do you get the cables that you need with the components or do you have to buy them seperately?

What are the Ageia PhysX cards about? Are they really necessary if you get a decent video card?

Lastly, any recomendations for the 8800GTS? There are a lot of variations to choose from and most of the specs don't mean that much to me.....

Fiesta Zetec S TDCI
Also instead of the '2 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 - 320GB' get a couple of the Hitachi Deskstar (http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/117757)

Buy an issue of CustomPC, or visit the forums (www.custompc.co.uk) their very helpful and the mags specifically for enthusiasts (& self builders)

I recently got a new setup consisting of a 6420 C2D, X1950Pro 256mb, hitachi hdd, 2GB ram, it kicks butt, and i'm sure a 8800GTS would be amazing.

Bear in mind if you buy the HDD's OEM, you may need to buy an extra sata cable (usually only 1 comes with your mobo)

ATM, Physx cards don't offer much improvement over standard CPU physics, but may become worth it in the long term. Only a few games support the Physx cards too (it will also lower your frame rate).

Good luck with your setup, and dont forget ebuyer are giving you £10 off EVERY order if you use google checkout (so just send a few orders to save quite a bit)

James

Not a Clio
Just to clarify, if you buy anything OEM it will just be the item itself, no cables, screws, fan, heatsink, manual, driver CD etc. and as above, motherboards normally only come with minimal cables such as 1 SATA and 1 IDE.

Better than yours. C*nt.
Mmm, lovely, Hitachi Deathstars. Avoid that suggestion.

Physx cards are great - as long as you have the spare graphics power and the game supports it. Remember you're feeding x number of thousand more objects for your graphics card to render...

Better than yours. C*nt.
Just to clarify, if you buy anything OEM it will just be the item itself, no cables, screws, fan, heatsink, manual, driver CD etc. and as above, motherboards normally only come with minimal cables such as 1 SATA and 1 IDE.

Depends, buy a cheapie and that's true - buy some of the premium boards though and you get more wires than you know what to do with.

I don't know what motherboards you guys have been buying but the ones I have bought have always come with a plethora of cables. 1x IDE? wtf.

172 Cup
I don't know what motherboards you guys have been buying but the ones I have bought have always come with a plethora of cables. 1x IDE? wtf.

That happened with Seb when he built his recent rig. I was on the phone to him and he was trying to convince me he only got 1 IDE cable and I was sure he must have lost the other one. I can't understand why some manufacturers only supply 1 cable!!?!?

That happened with Seb when he built his recent rig. I was on the phone to him and he was trying to convince me he only got 1 IDE cable and I was sure he must have lost the other one. I can't understand why some manufacturers only supply 1 cable!!?!?

To be fair, given that anyone with any sense now uses SATA drives, I suppose you do only really need one for the optical drive, but ffs that is tight.

Better than yours. C*nt.

To be fair, given that anyone with any sense now uses SATA drives, I suppose you do only really need one for the optical drive, but ffs that is tight.

And even SATA optical drives are starting to hit market properly...

172 Cup

Yeah he had/has a Sata HD. The "problem" only arose when he was having problems with the DVD drive and I suggested he try the "other" IDE cable just in case... Of course there was no other cable.

seb

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio trophy
knowsit!!!

thesloth is infamous! ;) yeah i did have a few issues with my rig but i think most of that was down to me. I seemed to have so many power cables for the internals though. that HD cable issue was quite annoying.

i was just about to say get an 8800 but roy beat me to it in the first post!!! :(

the 8800 owns! i hardly use mine though, plays simcity 4 well! :D lol

Cupra
Hi Seb,

Which version of the 8800 have you got? Is it best to go for the one with the highest numbers or is there one version which stands out from the crowd?

Cupra
On a side note, if anybody has any idea about how to fix this (See attachment) I would love to hear it. The only way I can work on the main PC is through remote desktop!

Last edited:
  172 Cup
On a side note, if anybody has any idea about how to fix this (See attachment) I would love to hear it. The only way I can work on the main PC is through remote desktop!

That's borked memory modules on the graphics card.

Cupra
There is no way to fix it is there? Short of buying a new graphics card?

At least it is a good excuse to get a new PC. :)

Better than yours. C*nt.

That's borked memory modules on the graphics card.

Not necessarily.

I had that issue and it was an issue with graphics pipelines on the mainboard. Sent the board back and a long time later they sent it back having diagnosed and replaced various components.