ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Build - Final Component List

RS Meg 175
Hey guys,
Right i think i have finally arrived at a set of components that should complement each other quite nicely. I would be very grateful if someone with some knowledge of the area could a have a quick glance at it and give me some feedback?

Q6600 G0 Stepping
EVGA 680i Nvidia
4GB Crucial Ballistix Ram (1066mhz)
BFG 8800GT OC 512mb
400GB Western Digital Caviar
Pioneer CD/DVD Drive
Antec P182 Case
Tuniq Tower (CPU Cooler)
Windows Vista 64bit
650w Antec TrioPower PSU

I think thats it! no doubt ive forgot something!
Cheers
Matt

2014 Focus Titanium
It will be a beast and you wont be disappointed!! :D

(You might want a soundcard unless you are running on board sound in which case you dont)

RS Meg 175
Awesome :D
Yeah i know ive read so much about soundcards and vista im confused! i think im going to use on board sound untill a soundcard made specifically for vista is launched. :)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Looks good...before you do it....make sure the cooler fits the case!

xifi cards work fine with vista now. was a big issue in the past, not anymore.

maybe get some as5 and if i were you, get a gts!!!

ALSO just so you know... if you have problems with the install process let me know...i had a few issues which needed workaroudns and stuff...you might not need it though

Shed.
Hey guys,
Right i think i have finally arrived at a set of components that should complement each other quite nicely. I would be very grateful if someone with some knowledge of the area could a have a quick glance at it and give me some feedback?

Q6600 G0 Stepping
EVGA 680i Nvidia

4Gb Corsair XMS2 Dominator (4x1gb sticks) 1142mhz

BFG 8800GT OC 512mb
EVGA 9600GT 512mb SSC (clocks@740/1950)

400gb wtf ? WDC Raptor 150GB 10,000rpm (if you can sticvk the noise lol)

Pioneer CD/DVD Drive

Asus DRW-2014L1 20x DVD±RW IDE Dual Layer Lightscribe ReWriter

Antec P182 Case
Tuniq Tower (CPU Cooler)
Windows Vista 64bit

650w Antec TrioPower PSU
Corsair TX 750Watt

I think thats it! no doubt ive forgot something!
Cheers
Matt

Tbh.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
He clearly doesn't have the budget for that... and raptor drives aren't that great, they're so bloody noisey and pricey it's pointless. mayaswell raid 0 two normal drives

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
yeh think you might be right on the 9600...good reviews so far. not seen benchmarks on it personally though

T

thecremeegg

9600GT is a bit slower than the old 8800GTS 640 going by benchies, so its a fair way behind the current 8800GT and 8800GTS 512 - definately get the GTS 512 if you can

RS Meg 175
Looks good...before you do it....make sure the cooler fits the case!

xifi cards work fine with vista now. was a big issue in the past, not anymore.

maybe get some as5 and if i were you, get a gts!!!

ALSO just so you know... if you have problems with the install process let me know...i had a few issues which needed workaroudns and stuff...you might not need it though

Ahhrite may well get myself an Xifi then tbh,
What you mean get some as5? Arctic Silver i presume? if so tis on order my friend lol

Nice case. ;)

Haha cheers for your help with that matey :p

Yeah tbh Michael172 i havent go the cash for some of those parts, the raptor is a waste of money with my budget imo if i had a bit more free cash i might have had a pop at it!

As for the GTS ive been looking at benchmarks and tbh the OC'd 8800GT Outperforms it on almost everything and the things that it does beat the GT on are only by a little. (this is how i interpretted the reviews anyway! lol)
Also i thought that the new 9 series card was less powerful, just a stripped down 8800 i think i read? Ive just been reading the interwebs though!

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
GTS outperforms a GT like for like. try a GTS OC vs a GT OC :p

look on tomshardware.com for reviews, they're well known and very good.

p.s. yes i meant artic silver 5

RS Meg 175
Nice one david :)

Could someone cast their eyes over this quickly. Just looking at factory OC'd GTS and GT's and they look very very similar, and the gt is aparently built for vista and it also states this "World's first unified architecture supporting Microsoft® DirectX® 10"

What do we think? lol

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Dude, there are two versions of GTS, one with the new chipset and one with the old one, the new ones are 512mb. Thats the one you want, both are dx 10 both are built for vista. I had the same choice BFG 8800 GTS OC or GT OC. went for the GTS which actually beats a GTX in most cases except at extreme resolutions.

Clio 182
Ok here we go...

Q6600 G0 Stepping

Good choice, they overclock very well.

EVGA 680i Nvidia

Bad choice... they don't overclock quad CPU's very well at all! Added to this, they are not aompatible with the new Penryn CPU's just released fomr Intel. They are dead ducks as far as futurer upgrades go, and less stable than the Intels. Get an Intel instead, you'll lose SLI capability but SLI is a big bag of cack anyway. I suggest a good board like the ASUS Maximus Forumla http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-253-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=946

Too expensive, go for 4GB of Gskill in a 2x 2GB stick set for £70 instead, will do just as well http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MY-022-GS&groupid=701&catid=8&subcat=817

BFG 8800GT OC 512mb

Great cards... the GTS isn't really worth the extra money and these will last until the next-gen is released. Personally i'd just save myself 60 notes and go for one of these! http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-071-OK&groupid=701&catid=56&subcat=1008

Go for a 500GB Western Digital AAKS, they're only a few quid more and are stonking drives. http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HD-120-WD&groupid=701&catid=14&subcat=940

Pioneer CD/DVD Drive

All much of a muchness.

Antec P182 Case

Great case, very quiet and well-built.

Tuniq Tower (CPU Cooler)

Can't go wrong with it, awesome cooler.

Windows Vista 64bit

I personally would go with 32-bit due to problems with drivers and games still, but I guess that's personal choice, and no doubt you'll have people swearing their 64-bit is the best thing since sliced bread.

650w Antec TrioPower PSU

"OK" PSU but nothing special. The Corsair HX620w is much better quality and modular, I have one and it's a beast, can handle a hell of a lot of load http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CA-004-CS&groupid=701&catid=123&subcat=1083

:)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
Dude i have a 680sli board and it's perfect for OC my quad q6600, was very easy and has great bios options. Stable at 3ghz without any issues at all, got it up to 3.4 but was running to hot for my liking.

If you want SLi, your best bet is EVGA too as they have upgrade programs and 10 year warranty.

RS Meg 175
nice one cheers mate ill try to digest that little lot! lol
Can you reccomend a mother board that can take 1066mhz ram and SLi? im just curious now lol

Clio 182
Dude i have a 680sli board and it's perfect for OC my quad q6600, was very easy and has great bios options. Stable at 3ghz without any issues at all, got it up to 3.4 but was running to hot for my liking.

If you want SLi, your best bet is EVGA too as they have upgrade programs and 10 year warranty.

It may have been decent for you, but they are known for not being great quad clockers, and they aren't upgradeable to the new Penryn. Not a great choice for a current purchase imo. :)

nice one cheers mate ill try to digest that little lot! lol
Can you reccomend a mother board that can take 1066mhz ram and SLi? im just curious now lol

Nvidia have a new 780i chipset that clocks better and accepts the new Penryns, this ASUS model is good http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-261-AS&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1057

EVGA also do a model but it's not out yet, still on pre-order http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=MB-009-EA&groupid=701&catid=5&subcat=1057

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
can i just say mate...you are wrong. the 780 board is much worse for quad clocking. it's the most unstable quad clocking board around, i had two, both were asus. If you got to the asus site > forums > look at the model there are hundreds of people who can't even install windows on quad cores with 780's. i know it supports new penryn but tbh, with a quad core runnign at 3.0 - 3.2g it'll be an entire new range of chips before i upgrade again...plus ddr3 etc etc. Not to mention the only triple sli cards u can get are ultras and gtx's.

Where does it say 680i board is bad for overclocking quads? go on EVGA forums and plenty of people have fantasic results clocking quads, check the reviews on overclockers for 680 and quads, again very good results.

Clio 182
Where does it say 680i board is bad for overclocking quads? go on EVGA forums and plenty of people have fantasic results clocking quads, check the reviews on overclockers for 680 and quads, again very good results.

This is what I was referring to, I remember hearing a lot about it http://forums.nvidia.com/lofiversion/index.php?t23677.html

Personally i haven't used a 780i, I just wouldn;'t use anything that didn't accept the new Penrynys.

Come ot think of it, I just wouldn't buy an Nvidia motherboard when the Intel chipsets are soo much better.

Clio 182
However i'm not saying the 680i's aren't decent boards... I suppose it all just comes tdown to preference and what you're used to. However there's no denying that unless you need SLI that the Intel chipsets are currently the superior choice when building a new system. :)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
yeah well i think perhaps the new bios's have resolved these issues. To be fair that thread is 2006. It may have been in the past but as with the old windows 64 debate, dont think it's a massive issue now. There are so many positive threads on evga and even this from overclockers forum

I agree intel boards are better overall.. i chose nvidia one only because i want sli really.

eviewed by: Jarvo

Great board for gaming and overclocking with the latest BIOS.

I've had my Q6600 running at 3.6Ghz perfectly stable with 2 BFG 8800GTX's and it performs very very well.

Just make sure you get better cooling on the NB and SB as they get VERY hot. My recommendations are the same as others w

--------

As it dawned on me that my old AGP-sporting machine was cracking under the pressure of more demanding games like UT3, COD4, Crysis, I decided to use my knowledge to knock up a brand new PC.

The motherboard was by far the hardest thing to decide upon, especially with the new 780i chipset from NVidia due for release any day now in the UK. Other boards I looked at ranged from the XFX 680i, BFG's offerings and a heck of a lot of ASUS boards with all manner of features and specifications. I obviously decided upon choosing this EVGA 680i motherboard.

Anyway, after installation of all the parts (among which were a Q6600, BFG 8800GT OC2 and 2GB of RAM) I fired it up and promptly checked the BIOS. Excellent features for overclocking which I still haven't got round to trying, and it detected all my parts bang on, including the RAM frequency and timings.

So to cut this review short, good looks, easy installation and a load of overclocking room, this is a great motherboard for a first build.

-------------

After having amd based boards for the past 8 years ,ive been scared to take the jump to intel.Im big online gamer and needed more speed and couldnt wait for amd to release the new phenom chip quad core.So after having problems with companies with poor aftersales i done some research and came up with evga.Every reviews says the same thing great customer service.So about the board great conectivety plenty of future support and easy as pie to set up.Got it out the box installed it no probs and even recognised my quad core with no bios upgrade.I didnt even have to format my machine just uninstall the old board drivers and reinstall the new ones.So far so good.In all im very pleased and cant say im sad to leave amd world!!Only one small point the front panel pins are right between the ide input and the memory and can be quite a tight fit but apart from that its great!!
my specs;
intel q6600 go quad core
evga 680i sli board
4gb corsair dominator
wd raptors x2 in raid
2 bfg 8800gtx sli

Clio 182
AHh maybe the BIOS fixed it then. I still think they were a better buy a year and a half ago than they are now though. :)

2014 Focus Titanium
I went for the P35 chipset and tbh i'm very pleased with it. I'm stable on air at 426x8 (3.4ghz) and can push it higher but don't want to because the memory divider shifts with it. Temps at idle are around 30degrees and full load 58ish.

Either way the Q6600 f**king pwns, and i think the way intel priced it so low they have just crushed AMD from making a comeback with the present set of chips. I mean, £150 for a quad CPU that clocks 150% without barely breaking a sweat? Brilliant!

Better than yours. C*nt.

eVGA boards are SHOCKING. Mine's dreadful and their upgrade program sucks.

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
how can their upgrade program suck? at least they have one! well i guess it's each to their own experiences, i can only praise EVGA for great support and a great board.

RS Meg 175
Here we go im probably going to buy this lot tonight, does it seem ok?

Gigabyte P35-DS4
E8400
Antec P182 Case
Corsair 620w
BFG OC 8800GT 512mb 675mhz
WD 500gb HD
Vista Premium
Sony DVD Drive
Tuniq Tower or Xigmatek HDT-S1283 undecided?
4gb Crucial Ballistix 1066mhz
AS 5

Look acceptable?

RS Meg 175
ballistix all up was £90 from overclockers was on offer a few weeks back :D
And im going dual core for gaming reasons and i dont do much that would warrant getting a quad. also a new Q9450 is out soon. Alot of reviews have seen people move from Q6600 to the E8400 tooo :)

But not so sure yet probs dual though :)