ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC for Video Editing Help

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I currently have a laptop i use for editing drone videos and its really starting to struggle with longer videos. its becoming unusable.

videos are 4k, about 1gb per minute and total length of a finished video might be 2mins. but it could be made up of several 1gb videos all editing together.

what sort of PC is recommended for simple video editing, i use filmora. would also need a 4k screen to go with it.

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I bought an MSI gaming laptop to do my editing on, crunches through hours of 4-track, 4k, 60 fps footage with ease.

i9 processor, Nvidia 3060 graphics card, only a 1080 screen but 144hz, works well enough for me.

Cost about £1400 IIRC.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
I bought an MSI gaming laptop to do my editing on, crunches through hours of 4-track, 4k, 60 fps footage with ease.

i9 processor, Nvidia 3060 graphics card, only a 1080 screen but 144hz, works well enough for me.

Cost about £1400 IIRC.
Way more than the money I have at the moment 😕

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
What's the spec of the current laptop doing the editing?
1721730861535.png

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
I imagine they wouldn’t be much better than your laptop tbh.

The second one would actually be worse with its 10 year old processor.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Does it have to be a laptop?

There's a big compromise on options and capability of a laptop over a similar desktop. Most people think they need a laptop - and then proceed to never move it from their desk or table. In which case a desktop would have been far better.

I have a laptop for work - but don't really use it in terms of a screen to work with. It's into a docking station with 2x 27" monitors connected, and a proper keyboard and mouse. I just have the laptop's screen on for Outlook and little else. If work would let me, I'd swap that for a desktop in an instant.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Does it have to be a laptop?

There's a big compromise on options and capability of a laptop over a similar desktop. Most people think they need a laptop - and then proceed to never move it from their desk or table. In which case a desktop would have been far better.

I have a laptop for work - but don't really use it in terms of a screen to work with. It's into a docking station with 2x 27" monitors connected, and a proper keyboard and mouse. I just have the laptop's screen on for Outlook and little else. If work would let me, I'd swap that for a desktop in an instant.
Desktop is fine

Adey.

ClioSport Club Member
Got mine out of the bin from work, got 2 actually. Dell precision 7740 i7 🤷‍♂️. Slapped a battery in one and 64gb of ram, run VSDC free. Seems ok. My other laptop just cooks itself when I try doing anything video related.

Edit scrap that, just checked ebay