ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Graphics Cards!!!

Hi There!

I would really like to buy FEAR and BF2 for my PC but currently my PC graphics card isnt really up to the job (I can play BF2 in low res but FEAR barely runs!)

My PC isnt that old and the spec isnt too bad:

HP Pavilion
AMD64 3400+
1 Gig DDR Ram
NVidia GeForce FX5500 - which is what I believe is stopping me from running these games.

Can you please advise which would be the best graphics card to go for (Price V. Performance). Im not after spending a bomb as I know how quickly they outdate...Any recommendations?

Also, my PC came as a already HP built machine. Will it be difficult to swap graphics cards over - i.e. is it as simple as plug and play?!?

Cheers

Not a Clio
i recently got an Asus 9999 (128mb Geforce 6800 TD) which is now overclocked and unlocked.
Runs FEAR without any problems at all. That's on MEDIUM graphics options and HIGH Computer options, not tried on higher yet.

EDIT: Just tried Computer settings on Maximum and Graphics on Medium. There's a 2% difference. I.e. 0% below 25, 8% between 25 - 40, 92% over 40.

Athlon 3000+ overclocked to 3200+
1Gig ram.
16bit SB Live!

HIGH Computer, MEDIUM Graphics
MEDIUM.gif

HIGH Computer, HIGH Graphics

HIGH.gif

HIGH Computer, MAXIMUM Graphics

MAXIMUM.gif

Last edited:
  ex Clio 172 owner :(
Agree with the 6800 being pretty much the best on AGP.

I'm running Athlon 3000, 1gb ram, ATi 9800 Pro 128mb, I can play both of these games but with the detail knocked down a touch.

Monaro VXR
You want a 6800GT really not just the standard 6800 if you can get hold of one.

Unless your comfortable with overclock and messing with things. As theres a fair few differences between the standard 6800 and the 6800gt.

Cool cheers everyone!

How do I know which is compatable with my motherboard as there seems to be lots of variations of the same card...

My current FX5500 is located on PCI 01 on my PC.

Which one will fit my PC?

http://www.dabs.com/ProductList.asp...y=All&PageMode=3&NavigationKey=0&SearchType=1

Whats the diference between Sparkle, Pixelview and Gainwood??? (I know the GT isnt listed below but thought I would ask...

http://www.microdirect.co.uk/productlister.aspx?GroupID=331

Sorry if Im sounding a little thick!

Not a Clio
AleG,

This is the one I have, unlocked to 16 pixel pipelines like the GT. Currently overclocked to a core of 386MHz and memory at 821MHz (Ultra runs at core 400MHz and Memory 550 MHz and GT at 350MHz / 500MHz)

http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products/index.html?action=c2hvd19wcm9kdWN0X292ZXJ2aWV3&product_uid=98265

Overclocking and unlocking it is very easy to do.

The only thing to be aware of is that the 6800's are power hungry. Not sure if all makes do but the Asus ones requires it's own power from the PSU. Unless you have a very high rated PSU then the power lead cannot be shared with anything else. Well that might just have been my failing PSU to be honest but I've given it, it's own power lead with the new PSU as well.

I'm not sure if there are other differences between the cards or not, I'm sure someone else who knows more can tell you. :)

Last edited:
  GDI Demo 182, Rsi Spider
the AGP one is good, I upgraded from a 9800 pro to the AGP and it was better by about 50% I would say.... so worthwhile.

also worth getting a sound card.... takes some loading off the processor and the games sound awesome.

Andy

This is the spec of my PC...

Processor AMD Athlon(tm) 64 2411MHz
Display Card NVIDIA GeForce FX 5500
Memory 1024MB
Operating System Microsoft Windows XP
Free Disk Space 166.0GB
Display Card Memory 256MB
Display Driver Version 7.7.3.0
DirectX Version 9.0c
Optical Drive CD/DVD
Sound Card Realtek AC97 Audio

Dont APG and PCI have different connectors meaning that they are uncompatible with some motherboards?

Im just a little concerned I may buy one and it won't fit lol

I got a 6600gt exactly a year ago (£100 in the sales lol) and it runs everything fine, HL2 etc look amazing, imagine they are about 50 quid now?

I have just had a look on the net and it seems that the 6800 has a 4-pin Molex connector which my current graphics card doesnt have. Will my PSU suport this graphics card as it is only rated with a 250W DC output.

Model no: PS-5251-08HP

Sorry about all the questions...

Last edited:
  Monaro VXR
with 250w output not a chance of running any newer card really. well they might run its just most cards now recommend a minimum of 350w. Even the 9800pro needed a 350w PSU

Bugger...So does that mean that I will have to update my PSU as well???

Is there nothing I can buy which will allow me to run BF2 and FEAR???

Seems a bit shocking seeing that my PC is only 10months old and quite high spec (apart from the graphics card!)...

Not a Clio
What make and model is your machine? I suspect it was sold aimed at office or home use as opposed to gaming.

If you check out overclockers, their home and office come with 250watt psu's and their gaming machines come with 400+watt.

You will need to upgrade your PSU before the graphics card. You'll find if you don't upgrade the PSU that your machine either will not start, will shut down during or shortly after boot or you will have major graphics issues i.e. a screen full of coloured blocks.

ex Clio 172 owner :(
PSU's are very easy to replace. People will advise against a cheap one but I've used loads of cheap ones in builds I've made for people. You can get 500W+ PSU's off ebuyer (where I buy all my stuff - generally the cheapest) for about £10+P&P.

Not a Clio
or if you can't wait then pop into your local pc shop or pc world and pick one up. They will be more expensive but you don't have to wait days for a delivery. I got a 450watt Jeantech from pcworld for £39.99. I ordered a 550watt from Ebuyer which was supposed to be delivered (express) on Thursday... it's now Monday and it's not here. Ebuyer haven't replied to the enote yet either.

Thanks for all your input its been much appreiated...

I bought my PC from Dabs.com. Its a ready made HP Pavilion T770. It is reasonably high spec but ideally I think it was designed for general home use rather than game use...

I can run HL2 pretty well its just its beginning to struggle a little with BF2 and FEAR.

Im not really keen on changng the PSU as last time I bought one for my old PC off E-bay I blew the motherboard lol. :-(

Will a new PSU even fit seeing that its not a purpose built machine!?

Cheers
Alex

Not a Clio
PSU's are plug and play mate, unplug all connectors, unscrew from case. Put new one in - screw and reconnect. The connectors only fit one way, you can't accidently connect it wrong and blow your mobo :)

A 6600GT would still require a new PSU. 250watt is very low mate.

i have blown up a hard drive and graphics card when puting a new psu in lol. wernt looking what i was doing and some how managed to put the plug in the wrong way. it had some cheap ass plugs on the psu which let them go in both ways lol.