ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC Security

Focus ST
What's the best software out at the moment?

I'm about to buy a new laptop, i think it comes with Norton but I don't like it really. But if its the best??

Must include the usual antivirus, firewall etc.....:approve:

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
I've found Kaspersky is good but you can't beat good old Norton.

Symantech Norton - with them been a massivvveee company i've found i'm getting updates most days and never had a virus yet :)

ive just had my pc back and they download AVG antivirus and windows defender free and they are great. The guy who fixed it (had a virus on it even tho i had norton??) said that these was one of the best around and free bargain :)

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
I bought Nortons year after year. I've tired of that. Now I downlod AVG's free software. And recommend it to everyone. It seems to do just as good a job, and do it less intrusively. And its free.

C

clio172cup20

AVs are for newbs!! all bloater ware!!!

erm... F-Secure

JonnyK

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  500 Bhp Golf R 7.5
i actually was fixing a gals pc the other day and it was running terribly slow! removed norton and put on AVG and it was 100x better!

only anti-virus i like better than AVG is sophos, but AVG is free,,,

I would also get cleanmypc registry cleaner, spybot and adaware also...

306 TD Slut
i use avg and crap cleaner. works fine :) cant say i have noticed it effecting the performance of the pc..

172, Tiguan
I upgraded Norton from 2006 to 2007 last week on the free link they sent me. It has ruined my PC at home. I kid you not it now takes 8 minutes from the time you press on to the time you can actually use the PC. This is a P4 3.0gb running over a gig of ram. rediculous. Taking it off asap and going back to 2006. When the subscription runs out ill be using AVG and some sort of firewall.

172 Cup
I've found Kaspersky is good but you can't beat good old Norton.

Symantech Norton - with them been a massivvveee company i've found i'm getting updates most days and never had a virus yet :)

How do you know you've never had a virus yet?

This is one of the biggest misconceptions with Norton. Just because it hasn't found anything then I must be ok.

There's a reason why most companies and IT people use Eset and Kaspersky.

R

rich[182]

As well as my SPI hardware firewall, also use :-

Zone Alarm firewall
Sygate firewall
AVG virus
Sophos virus
F-Secure virus
AVG spyware
Adaware spyware
A2 squared trojan
CWShredder
CrapCleaner
Regcleaner
Regclean
Spybot spyware

+ several others, all updated every day and run every day without fail !!!

R

rich[182]

^ lol yeh im paranoid, but work in networking security for a living, trust nothing and fear the worst is my motto !!

20VT Clio & 9-5 HOT
i use avast and a well configured 'older' version of zonealarm and iv not had a single problem in 3 year thats its not picked up on.

Colin-S

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I previously used Norton Antivirus, but it uses far too many processes. I now use Webroot Spysweeper - which has free updates, and lots of other great features.

A couple of other good programs are Spybot Search & Destroy and Spyware Blaster.

Zonealarm Pro for my firewall

Forget AVG theyre s**t.

I'm using Avast4.7 full version as my AV http://www.avast.com/, with COMODO (by far the best firewall created). http://www.personalfirewall.comodo.com/

Also use Ad aware and Spybot S&D.

All are free and top quality, comodo is better than some of the firewalls you pay for.

I run my AV and Spybots in safemode about once every two weeks, maybe once a week depending on what Im up to. Just to be on the safe side.

Megane DCi 147bhp/350nwm
Blackice firewall used to be super!!

Trend Micro...that's whats on here at work but i cant say i'm too fond

Fiesta ST
I use nothing :) and been using a PC since I was 12.

Just a firewall on my router and windows firewall.

I know every process running on my machine - so if it suddenly changes i know something is amuck.

Just careful what files you run and websites you visit. If I need to visit dodgey sites or run odd apps I Just run it on my VMware.