ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PC vs Mac

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Andi-b said:
Although iMacs I would personally say are better for CAD/music than pc anyday.

I assume you mean Mac rather than iMac! ;)

The thing is, the DTP/music thing is a historical thing and not relevent today, sure people still use macs for DTP & music, but then other people use (ibm compatible) PC's for the same tasks.

It's an old myth that gets bought up when "unknowledgable" (;)) PC users who believe what they've been told (in chinese whisper fashion) about Macs, just like the "Macs only have one button" myth!

sn00p said:

The thing is, the DTP/music thing is a historical thing and not relevent today, sure people still use macs for DTP & music, but then other people use (ibm compatible) PC's for the same tasks.

It's an old myth that gets bought up when "unknowledgable" (;)) PC users who believe what they've been told (in chinese whisper fashion) about Macs, just like the "Macs only have one button" myth!

well until recent years they shipped with one button mice, never mind if they've been able to use 2 button mice all along. in that way its like those engine limiters that stop them going over 150mph

Monaro VXR
The decent cad / audio creation software is usually crossplatform so make slittle difference macs can game just as well just not as many releases for the OS.

What annoyed me about apple though was how misleading there benchmarking was. I remember them having a thing showing there were over twice as fast as a similar speed intel P4, and then 3 times faster than an Atholon 64. Anyone who knew anything about computers knew straight away something was wrong there .The Intels should not be faster to begin with.

Then you started reading the find print and noticed not only did they use different configurations for each system they used completely different programs. Just so the mac came out on top. They got in trouble for it shortly after and had to take down all there benchmark scores.

Now they dont put up any because the simple fact is they will be roughly the same due to them now using those "slow" intel cpu's.

Just wound me up if your gonna sell a product and try get custom in that market at least dont lie about it and dont make it so obvious.

There good systems but im just not a fan of the MacOS. And i also think they overcharge. But with them using intel systems now theres really very little point to buy a mac.

What people need to realise is that macs arent better than PC's and PC's arent better than mac's its just the OS thats different. Hardware wise there pretty much the same now. The PC market is slightly ahead though in speed. mainly due to poorer driver support for the mac OS on newer hardware. MacOS is better in terms of stability. However i can honestly say the 64bit version of XP im currently running has not crashed ever.

I mean if apple released there OS as a standalone thing for PC owners who would still buy a mac?

wozzaa said:
I mean if apple released there OS as a standalone thing for PC owners who would still buy a mac?

Me.
My MBP is the best laptop I've ever used in terms of looks, size, weight, quality. (and I'm an IT Consultant so I see lots and use lots of laptops, of all makes)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Daz said:
Me.
My MBP is the best laptop I've ever used in terms of looks, size, weight, quality. (and I'm an IT Consultant so I see lots and use lots of laptops, of all makes)

Me 2.

Megane R26
I'm more than happy with my Mac G5, I wouldn't even consider changing to a PC - can't stand the things!

However its just a preferance thing. if you prefer using PC, thats fine! But alot of the people that slate Mac have never even used one!

Monaro VXR
And what im saying is the new mac's are using the same hardware you can buy in a PC but charging you even more money the motherboards and cpu's are the same as in the vast majority of PC's same with graphics cards and memory.

So all your paying for is the fancy case and the OS now.

I just dont see how thats worth the premium over a PC anymore a few years ago macs were the be all and end all in CAD, Music creation etc but now theres really not much difference over them. I use G5's at uni and i dont see much difference in them to be honest.

Last edited:
  Revels Mum & Sister
wozzaa said:
And what im saying is the new mac's are using the same hardware you can buy in a PC but charging you even more money the motherboards and cpu's are the same as in the vast majority of PC's same with graphics cards and memory.

So all your paying for is the fancy case and the OS now.

I just dont see how thats worth the premium over a PC anymore a few years ago macs were the be all and end all in CAD, Music creation etc but now theres really not much difference over them. I use G5's at uni and i dont see much difference in them to be honest.

To a certain extent yes BUT take for instance the Mobile Core Duo chips used in the Mac Mini. They on there own are not cheap, try finding one as well. Not a easy task.

But the point is its all about the OS. Hardware isnt the point.

MAC OSX IMO is a far better OS than Windows.

sn00p said:
Overpriced to who? PC owners who upgrade this and that every 2 months end up spending more than they would on a mac anyway! :rolleyes:

My 733 G4 PowerMac is going strong 4 years after it's purchase, every release of OS X has further increased the life of the machine by providing a speedboost, the same cannot be said of my 2 years old athlon 2200 which is creaking and groaning, and I only ever turn that piece of crap on about once or twice a year!

What I find amusing is that my G4 quicksilver still sells for about £200 secondhand whereas I'd be lucky to get £20 for the athlon system - despite being 2 years younger!

My best buy is my Powerbook G4 which does everything I could ever want and I know that'll it continue to do that for many years to come. I've got that smug feeling that I didn't go down the Microsoft route.

dude, you seriously need to go out and get laid. you dont go to startrek conventions dressed as Mr Spok and end up fighting with rival fan stormtroopers as well do you? :rolleyes:

did you know that apparently MS have just ripped of osx for their next release too? that may warrant a suicide bomb attempts at MS headquarters! :clown:

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
TheJesus said:
dude, you seriously need to go out and get laid. you dont go to startrek conventions dressed as Mr Spok and end up fighting with rival fan stormtroopers as well do you? :rolleyes:

Be sure to say hi to your friends in kindergarten, I'll be f**king my girlfriend while you're busy having your afternoon nap.

does she dress up as a stormtrooper just so you can get it up? :clown:

stormtrooper1.gif

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Loony said:
But do you go on BMW and Golf forums to merely how sh*t/overpriced/pointless/ill advised (fill in as appropriate) YOU feel THEIR purchase was ? Thats the point I'm making. If it really is each to their own why bother saying anything.

Sorry if I touched a nerve. I would have thought the winky-winky would have shown you that I wasn't serious.... :rasp:

The Mac and PC argument is the computer equivalent of the West vs. terrorists. Each side thinks they are right and each side will never back down. I'm not bothered either way with who says what.... :boring:

D.

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
I put a USB2 card in my work PC this morning....

...had to take it out about 10 minutes later due to the constant blue-screening when it tried installing the drivers...Install-Blue Screen-Restart....ad-infinitum.

So much for signed certified drivers.....

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
i'll get flamed for this but after testing vista rc1 in a network enviroment on 'vista compatable' dell laptops. Vista will easily briidge the gap for people who want both and easy to usse and pretty OS...in exactly the same format as they're used to. It reall is very good and has all the stupid mac tricks for making it look nice too.

i'm a gamer - i would never touch mac;s for that reason. If however i had no use for games i would certinaly consider one.

Megane Mk4
sn00p said:

Yup, one of them too! lol

I'd quite happily go out and buy a mac if my pc blew up tomorrow, but it's new as my last decided to bite the bullet and it was covered on insurance.

I'll try any system once to get the feel.. Hey I once owned an Amiga A1200 and thought ALL PC users were the scum of the earth.. even though they still are! ;)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Andi-b said:
Hey I once owned an Amiga A1200 and thought ALL PC users were the scum of the earth.. even though they still are! ;)

Flash b*****d! ;)

I owned an A500 for about 2 months, then sold it and got an Archimedes!

Revels Mum & Sister
David said:
i'll get flamed for this but after testing vista rc1 in a network enviroment on 'vista compatable' dell laptops. Vista will easily briidge the gap for people who want both and easy to usse and pretty OS...in exactly the same format as they're used to. It reall is very good and has all the stupid mac tricks for making it look nice too.

i'm a gamer - i would never touch mac;s for that reason. If however i had no use for games i would certinaly consider one.

But all the Mac tricks you speak off are functional. I am not a MAC fanboy. I just built myself a Decent Core Duo gaming rog. And was using boot camp on my Mac Mini.

And have a Macbook as well.

I wasnt impressed at all with Vista even at RC1. We have 3 machines at work running it, maybe I need more time to get used to it.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
sn00p said:
Flash b*****d! ;)

I owned an A500 for about 2 months, then sold it and got an Archimedes!

Isn't that the wrong way around? Only the flash b******s got the Archimedes?! :p I remember we had one at school with Zarch on it - well cool at the time....

D.

Megane Mk4
Darren S said:
Isn't that the wrong way around? Only the flash b******s got the Archimedes?! :p I remember we had one at school with Zarch on it - well cool at the time....

D.

Think he was referring to the Amiga A500 he had tbh ;)

This really isn't a dig. Just an observation.

All Mac users that I know, also use a PC through need. I dont know any PC users that use a Mac through need.

FIGHT!

VaVa
Personally, I have the following to say on this matter

a) This forum should be renamed 'Geek Corner' or 'Nerd Nursery'
b) You really should get out more

That is all. As you were.

Laingo said:
Personally, I have the following to say on this matter

a) This forum should be renamed 'Geek Corner' or 'Nerd Nursery'
b) You really should get out more

That is all. As you were.

And what's sadder? Reading a thread you find boring? Go out ;)

VaVa
Whatever floats your boat Royston. So do I in a funny sort of way. I'm interested to know the difference between the two, but I find it slightly tragic that people can get so uptight about it. lol.

But you're still so geek it hurts. ;)

Roy Munson said:
This really isn't a dig. Just an observation.

All Mac users that I know, also use a PC through need. I dont know any PC users that use a Mac through need.

FIGHT!

Playing devils advocate? ;)

I have a mac and a mac only at home. I use a PC at work not through need but through the fact thats what is provided for me. I'm not about to go out an buy another mac to use at work just because I have a preference for my home machine to my work one. ;)

Laingo said:
Whatever floats your boat Royston. So do I in a funny sort of way. I'm interested to know the difference between the two, but I find it slightly tragic that people can get so uptight about it. lol.

But you're still so geek it hurts. ;)

I haven't seen anyone getting upset. As is often the case, the people causing a hint of controversy are those who have no interest in the topic. Yes I am a geek. Your job must be shite if you feel the need to sit there spamming topics that bore you ;) Don't you have something to sweep up?

Mr2 Roadster
I used to have Amiga's, had a load of them and they were great, had a 500, a 500+ a 1200, a 4000 with a processor upgrade and all the crap but that was then...

I'm a mac boy now and have two G4 Powerboos wihich have never let me down, my PC on the other hand, it's npot great for what I use it for. My Macs have both fell off the roof of my car on to the floor and still continie to work and also I don't have to do any serious work on them to keep them running.

It's a personal choice at the end of the day so you can't really knock someone who prefers something different to yourself, as if we all had the same opinion and made the same choices the world would be a pretty boring place. By the way I drive a clio...

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Darren S said:

D.

I mean flash b*****d for having a A1200 instead of an A500....

...but yes, when I got the Archie I moved up a level in flashness.... ;)

sn00p

ClioSport Club Member
  A blue one.
Can we stand in a circle? I'll start.

"My name is Adrian and I'm a mac-a-holic".

:p

sn00p said:
I've been in floods of tears since the pc meanies started picking on me! ;)

So would I, if I wasn't safe in the knowledge my Mac is the best laptop in the world. ;)

106 GTi
Daz said:
So would I, if I wasn't safe in the knowledge my Mac is the best laptop in the world. ;)

Didnt get a dodgy battery with your MBP then? ;) Tainted the ownership experience of mine.

Revels Mum & Sister
I use a PC for gaming becase lets face it MAcs are shite for gaming.

But for everything else they pwn.