ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Buying my son a gaming PC, help.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Watch a couple of Youtube videos and anyone can build a PC. Windows 10 licence can be had for around £21. The 8600K is a 6 core processor and clocks very well which will help with the high refresh rate monitor.

The CPU doesn't have much impact (if at all) on refresh rate dude.

i5 is the better VFM chip than an i7 (agreeing with you there). Always buy an i5 unless budget isn't the concern.

Listerine & Poledo

i5 is the better VFM chip than an i7 (agreeing with you there). Always buy an i5 unless budget isn't the concern.
Even the i3 will hold up fine for what we're looking at here

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3

It would do. You have a $hit cpu it'll bottleneck the performance (FPS). See here (an extreme example I know):

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
I thought it was an uber mega esport 1080P one? So super high refresh rates.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Ok so yer that's why i initially suggested a lower spec card as only gaming at 1080p, no point using a 1080 or whatever if it's only HD resolution in my opinion.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
It would do. You have a $hit cpu it'll bottleneck the performance (FPS). See here (an extreme example I know):

Ffs. First we were talking about i7 Vs i5 of the current gen now we're talking about a single core pentium?

If you slap a haswell i5 K CPU in your system with a high end GPU I doubt there would be more than 5% difference in framerate comparing it to a coffeelake i7.

Listerine & Poledo
Yeah...... you wont be hitting that any time soon with the spec people are saying here.... well, unless the lad is super-mad-keen on his solitaire...or games from a decade ago.

But so long as it pulls 60fps, anything more is just willy-waving regardless. ?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
Yeah...... you wont be hitting that any time soon with the spec people are saying here.... well, unless the lad is super-mad-keen on his solitaire...or games from a decade ago.

The monitor I bought not very good then?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Analogy time.

You don't buy a Ferrari (The monitor they've bought) and stick a 1.2 Corsa engine (Ryzen +Vega) in it.

I had pretty much the exact same thing written this morning but I think I come across as a bit of a c**k in threads like this so I didn’t bother posting it, lol.

Imo, that £1100 pc I posted on the first page is still the best bang for buck system posted so far.

Listerine & Poledo
The monitor I bought not very good then?

Oh nonono. Not at all.
Sounds like the monitor is probably great.

Just that to drive big resolutions at high frame rates requires big kahuna graphics power. Or to turn down some of the quality presets.

that £1100 pc I posted on the first page is still the best bang for buck system posted so far.
Pretty much.
If it was me, I'd be plumping for faster memory and an NVME M2, but yeah, yours ticks off the boxes ?

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye

I’ve tried to stay quiet but...

What shite are you talking? A 6 core latest gen i5, 16gb ddr4 and a 1070ti won’t hit 144fps? Nonsense.

Phase1sr, pay no attention. Your monitor is fantastic. This guy sounds like the kinda guy that goes about saying ‘the human eye can’t see anymore than 27fps so any more is pointless.’

Play a game on a 60hz screen and then play the same game on a 144hz screen and tell me there isn’t a difference.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
Oh nonono. Not at all.
Sounds like the monitor is probably great.

Just that to drive big resolutions at high frame rates requires big kahuna graphics power. Or to turn down some of the quality presets.

Pretty much.
If it was me, I'd be plumping for faster memory and an NVME M2, but yeah, yours ticks off the boxes ?

I’m tempted to fire up my other pc when I get home and prove you wrong. I can get 70-100fps in most AAA titles on high settings with a GTX970. On the 1080 it’s always 120+

Regarding the nvme drive and faster ram, I was aiming to hit the £1100 price that phase1sr posted in the 1st thread.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I’ve tried to stay quiet but...

What shite are you talking? A 6 core latest gen i5, 16gb ddr4 and a 1070ti won’t hit 144fps? Nonsense.

Phase1sr, pay no attention. Your monitor is fantastic. This guy sounds like the kinda guy that goes about saying ‘the human eye can’t see anymore than 27fps so any more is pointless.’

Play a game on a 60hz screen and then play the same game on a 144hz screen and tell me there isn’t a difference.

It was 144hz not FPS, but i think your point still stands lol

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
I know. FPS and Hz sort of go hand in hand. To get the full benefit from phase1sr’s 144hz screen, he ideally needs 144fps. So the screens refresh rate is equal to the frames per second drawn by the gpu.

A 144hz screen will always run at 144hz, it isn’t really hardware dependant. The FPS required is all to do with the hardware.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
My 980Ti hits over 60fps on any titles I play at 1440p and that's similar performance to a 1070, so a 1070Ti will be faster, and driving 2/3 the amount of pixels will be easy to hit 144.

Ph2 172, 106 Rallye
wreckfest fps.jpg

Fired up an early access build of Wreckfest. It's one of few recent 'A' titled games that I had installed on it. Excuse the s**t pics, when I tried to screenshot it it wouldn't capture my FPS meter.

This is on a system with a 4770k, 16gb 2400mhz DDR4 and an old GTX 970.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
@Phase1sr

Had the latest issue of Custom PC come through today and it contains a 10 page pc building “masterclass”.

Well worth a look seeing as you’ve not done it before.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
CPU cores count these days. Pretty much any game you buy takes advantage of multiple cores / threads (or the engines on which games are built). I think CPU processing ability will start to become a little more significant over the next few years for gamers. Hence, I think something like an i5 8600K is a great gaming CPU for the now and near future.

Daz...

ClioSport Club Member
  Inferno 182 Cup
CPU cores count these days. Pretty much any game you buy takes advantage of multiple cores / threads (or the engines on which games are built). I think CPU processing ability will start to become a little more significant over the next few years for gamers. Hence, I think something like an i5 8600K is a great gaming CPU for the now and near future.

This is why I upgraded my 6600k to a 6700k earlier this year. £50 upgrade which should see me get a few more years out of it.

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Still tempted to replace my 7700k with a 6 core jobby as would be useful for a few things, but not really necessary!

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
Can anyone recommend a pc for around £600 budget to run crap like Fortnite ? my sons on my case to get a pc instead of his xbox but the more I read on pc's the more lost I get lol
Don't want to spend this much of his money and its waisted as it then will not play anything else.
He has a tv we could use as a temp monitor but also need a monitor at some point.
cheers

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Can anyone recommend a pc for around £600 budget to run crap like Fortnite ? my sons on my case to get a pc instead of his xbox but the more I read on pc's the more lost I get lol
Don't want to spend this much of his money and its waisted as it then will not play anything else.
He has a tv we could use as a temp monitor but also need a monitor at some point.
cheers
£600 for the PC/Tower or £600 for PC/Tower & Peripherals etc?

Mr R.

ClioSport Club Member
  A special one.
@Phase1sr

Had the latest issue of Custom PC come through today and it contains a 10 page pc building “masterclass”.

Well worth a look seeing as you’ve not done it before.
Thanks mate, ive subscribed to the mag but wont get a copy until next month.