ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC/XBone/PS4] Warframe

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
This is worth a look chaps - if you haven't had the chance already. It's a 3rd-person hack & shoot fest based in space (and presumably) - the future.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/230410/

The default video is a little weird to show. The majority of the action is on the ground - not in space, but it's very well done and presented. It's free to play and strangely, does not batter you with constant purchasing reminders and other IAPs.

The control method takes some time to get used to - be it via pad or K&M. It can put you off - it nearly did for me, but I stuck with it.
See what you think!

1.8 Civic EX
It's available on Xbox One too. Also free to play. I downloaded it ages ago but never got round to trying it and just deleted it.

Ay Ay Ron

ClioSport Club Member
Same as Rhino but for the PS4. Think it was available for launch. Just couldn't get on with it. A few people on my friends list still play it regularly.

Might have a look when I get bored of the games I have.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Having maxed out the Volt Warframe, I'm nearly there with the Nekros as well. Polarised and with the four skills maxed, it's a very good support class Warframe...

2015-04-16_00003_zpsxmdhiare.jpg

2015-04-16_00002_zpsoheindtu.jpg

I think only the arrival of GTAV for the PC could divert me from this at the minute!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
The other side of 200 hours in now. Still got loads to learn about it and I've yet to unlock the rest of the planet locations.

Switched to the Valkyr Warframe, having forma'd the Nekros four times over - going from Rank 0 to 30 (the maximum) - I thought it was time for a change!

Having been much more in the support role with the frail Nekros, it makes a change to be charging into the fray with the Valkyr. She's predominantly a melee unit with the highest default armour value in the game. Her rip-line ability allows her to zip line to parts of the map that are difficult if not virtually impossible to reach for other Warframes. Couple that with the Thief's Wit and Master Thief mods, as the Valkyr is the perfect loot finder - along with being able to kick the crap out of most things protecting the valuables.

Still got a long way to go! :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Third year anniversary for this today and they have been giving away some kit free as a thank you.

Had a quick few rounds tonight - makes me realise just how much more depth this game has compared to the likes of The Division. Crafting and upgrading kit and weapons is just a small part of the overall game.

Now with a few more Warframes to chose from, I might get back into it. I miss the spy missions - they were great and not usually something I'd enjoy playing.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I've just started playing this (only a few hours in) and I'm still not sold just yet. The controls seem a little... unintuitive. I'm willing to give it more time though :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've just started playing this (only a few hours in) and I'm still not sold just yet. The controls seem a little... unintuitive. I'm willing to give it more time though :smile:

Andy - the controls (at first) - are, well, what can I say? Utter dogshit.

They seem to have an obsession with setting a key to map every bloody function when one isn't needed. I scroll down on the mouse wheel to select the weapons and scroll up to select the power skills. Yet the game still wants me to assign a key for each individual power. Why? Its silly - and I just end up setting them to some key in a far-flung corner of the keyboard. I play with a gameboard (the Logitech G13) and mouse and they seem to complement the game quite well.

At the start - you die.... a lot. The ranking system is heavily biased towards swapping out both your Warframe and your weapons in order to progress. Sticking with the same kit all the time does little to progress your overall rank - but it does make you more potent within the game. So there's clearly a trade off.

Both the Warframe and weapons and your sentinel (a hovering drone companion) max out at level 30. The more difficult the planet or moon that you attempt a mission on - proportionally the better the loot and mods you find. The balancing act is that you only get 4 'lives' per level - so if you're getting nailed quickly - there's a good chance that you won't see the level out! Once you hit level 30, you can use forma to reset your Warframe or weapon back to unranked, but you get to apply a forma bonus to one of the slots. This halves the point requirement for that particular slot - amongst other benefits.

All kit starts off with 8 slots in which to apply mods. There are literally hundreds of mods out there - Piercing Hit, Heavy Calibre, True Shot, Serration, Power Throw..... the list goes on. These are weighted in points - bronze mods being the lower pointed ones, through silver and gold being the highest, most potent mod. Each mod can also be boosted using fusion cores - making them yet ever more potent, but in turn requiring more points to occupy a slot. Say you had a level 5 SMG with 16 points available to it - you might have a couple of mods ready to be fitted. Do you fit four mods at 4 points a piece and make it more worthwhile across different mod criteria? Or do you attach the single Ice Storm mod to it, that might take 15 points itself - but add 40% cold damage and also increases the mag capacity by 40%?

Although the top four slots are open to any mod, they are particularly useful for status mods. These are direct element affects on the weapon itself - that increase heat, cold, electric and toxic damage. Further, status effects can be combined by placing the mods side-by-side. So putting a cold and heat mod next to each, gives you a blast bonus from the weapon hitting the target. Likewise, cold and electricity offers you a magnetic damage bonus and combining heat and toxin, gives you gas bonus.

It all sounds very complex, but it isn't really! Once you have a dabble for a few games, everything starts to gel and make sense. In comparison, the likes of The Division are extremely hollow and do not have the customisation or unlock paths that make your Warframe totally unique. You'll also get a small bonus if you log into the game every day - literally login and logout and you'll get it.

By all means, let me know when you're on and I'll happily team up with you. Show you some of the varied game modes and what does what.... :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I've been playing this since day 1 on ps4. It's a cool game and for a free to play the rate of development is amazing.
A slow start for me - I didn't pick it up the first time around as I tend to stay clear of 'free-to-play' games as they are usually anything but! But this one works well. People can spend silly amounts of money in obtaining new kit - a new Prime Warframe + weapon kit tends to be around the £90 mark. But all the parts needed to construct the Prime are obtainable through normal play - even more so with the regular Warframes.

I agree with the rate of development - new stuff gets added quite a lot. And little changes to the core game and UI tend to keep things fresh. My personal favourite (the spy missions) are a great challenge - especially when going in solo. Just last week, I did a spy mission where two of the three objectives, I had never encountered before - and I'm at around 350 hours in. Likewise, I attempted a high level infested sabotage mission in co-op and the enemies ripped through my lvl30 Valkyr as if it was made of paper. Literally one hit - all the shield was gone. Next hit - on the floor!

It's a good all-round FPS game and great for when you have 20 minutes or so spare. Tearing an arse through an extermination level is never boring. :)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah I use Loki for capture too. And survival, and exterminate. Master race an all that fan boy shizzle! [emoji3]
I stopped playing at the beginning of December and now I'm 5 frames short of the full collection. Solo'd the sortie this morning and got 25 cores. Ivara might take a while

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the lengthy reply, D. I'm not really getting the whole modding and Foundry thing as yet (the penny hasn't dropped). I'm just playing through with Volt (solo missions) and it's fairly easy at the moment. It's still early days though and I don't have much time to spend on it right now. Give me a chance to get more familiar with it and I'll give you a shout so I can join you and learn the ropes :)

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
There's a very steep learning curve, and not a lot of instruction on how any of it works. It's better now with tutorials they have added but a lot of people who tried it early on gave up because it seems so complicated.
Best thing to do as a noob is work through the planet sectors to build up your base mod collection and your resources. You might need help in some of the defence and survival ones though. What are you playing on @SharkeyUk ?

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
OssPoop hits the nail on the head. It is a steep learning curve and I'll admit that there are loads of features that I didn't know - or aren't making the best use of.

My main issue is that I 'settle in' with a Warframe and like to use it a lot, rather than chop and change to different setups. I used the Nekros for a long time and now the Valkyr. Probably the main reason why I'm still sat on Level 7!

I'd recommend doing the earlier levels and planets too - especially the defence and survival ones that will invariably give you lots of mods and resources.

Finally popped my Prime cherry yesterday. Bought the Saryn Prime set off a player in Korea for 180 plat. Just short of a few resources for building it now!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
There's a very steep learning curve, and not a lot of instruction on how any of it works.
What are you playing on @SharkeyUk ?

OssPoop hits the nail on the head. It is a steep learning curve and I'll admit that there are loads of features that I didn't know - or aren't making the best use of.

That's exactly what I'm finding, gents... it's all a bit confuddling at the moment (especially when I don't have chance to sit down and spend a few hours in one sitting to have a play and get familiar with the workings and interplay of the various systems). Mind you, I'm enjoying logging in and just running and shooting my way through a level right now. :)

@OssPoop - I'm on PC mate.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
One aim to get to Andy, is rank 2. From there you can trade - which means I could invite you to the dojo and offload some items to you.

You're using the Volt? That's actually quite a potent one - and it was my first choice too. It's particularly effective against mechanical/robotic enemies - when using the Shock and Overload powers. In defence, the Electric Shield skill is brilliant. It absorbs incoming fire from enemies - but adds electricity damage to friendly units firing through it.

This maybe of some use?

http://warframe.wikia.com/wiki/Volt

The beauty of Warframe is that it reflects your play style. Want to wade in and chop & slice enemies with melee? There's a 'frame for that. Want to silently pick off enemies from distance with a bow or rifle? You can make your 'frame do that. Or you can be a mix and match of several skills that help yourself and the team to progress more.

Send me your in-game name and I'll add a friends request.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I tried to play it again yesterday but got so hopelessly lost I gave up. Needs a day to dedicate to figuring out wtfs going on

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
I tried to play it again yesterday but got so hopelessly lost I gave up. Needs a day to dedicate to figuring out wtfs going on
If it's any consolation mate - I had to Google how to get the Plains Of Eidolon up and running. There was simply no guidance in how to do it. You have to head to Earth and it's locked by default - I think the screenshot from above was the prequel needed to get to the Plains...... I think? :confused::smile:

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Nope - still don't "get it" I'm afraid... :tongueout: :smile: But I've only put 20-odd hours into it.

The game definitely doesn't lend to 'helping' the players. Part of me actually thinks it was designed to be like that - a bit standoffish. When I first started, it was a little overwhelming and even now, I still have to Google/wiki articles to find out what I'm doing.

Some missions still don't quite make sense to me - probably because when I team up with online randomers, one or two of them run off and complete what needs doing.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Ok - I'm going to give it one more go this weekend (hopefully).
If you're on when I'm on, I'll be happy to join you. Start with a simple 'kill everything' level and then maybe try a spy one?

Totally agree with @OssPoop - you need that good fortune to find a player or two that shows you what's going on. Likewise, I've not gone up against the 'Ogres' that keep being mentioned, nor the eidolons - there's still plenty that I'm totally unfamiliar with. However, I might have logged in on the occasional number of days..... :wink:

upload_2018-3-23_7-12-50.png

I was reading the other night that the foundations of what Warframe was to become, date back thirteen years or something. A different game title - but one that can trace its origins that far back.

The scale and depth of the game is a bit bewildering - but I think its these values that have helped its longevity and make it remain a player favourite to this day.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
The thing I really like about warframe is the support they give it. The last ps4 update had the weapon adjustments. They monitored what gets used and what doesn't and tweaked them to make each weapon more viable. Tell me when that happened in Destiny? Bungie can't sort anything out half as good as Digital Extremes do on a very regular basis with warframe.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I was reading the other night that the foundations of what Warframe was to become, date back thirteen years or something. A different game title - but one that can trace its origins that far back.

The scale and depth of the game is a bit bewildering - but I think its these values that have helped its longevity and make it remain a player favourite to this day.
Cheers, D. Have you seen the two-part Noclip documentary on YouTube? It was released recently. The presenter is the brother-in-law of my best friend. It's worth a watch and refers to the game you allude to, which is Dark Sector. :)

The thing I really like about warframe is the support they give it. The last ps4 update had the weapon adjustments. They monitored what gets used and what doesn't and tweaked them to make each weapon more viable. Tell me when that happened in Destiny? Bungie can't sort anything out half as good as Digital Extremes do on a very regular basis with warframe.
Bungie don't have the 'freedom' that DE has though sadly, and have to dance to a completely different beat.

Clio_fool

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers, D. Have you seen the two-part Noclip documentary on YouTube? It was released recently. The presenter is the brother-in-law of my best friend. It's worth a watch and refers to the game you allude to, which is Dark Sector. :)

Bungie don't have the 'freedom' that DE has though sadly, and have to dance to a completely different beat.
Yeah I get that bungie have a problem when it comes to content freedom but that doesn't stop them fixing problems. Every time warframe updates I sit and read through the changes. The list of fixes and tweaks is always extensive.

I've not played much since the last update so I've yet to discover if all my builds are redundant. It'll be like starting fresh again, but with loads of forma already installed [emoji16]

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
So close to liking it... must . stick . with . it . . . ! :smile:

I spent a few hours just playing exterminate levels. I'm not keen on the excavation stuff, etc. I also figured out I can jump and slide long distance and double / triple jump and suddenly the levels are a lot more fun. I don't just jog from A to B any more! :tongueout: My frame is now at level 30 as are my weapons so I guess I need to buy more frames and weapon slots.

EDIT: Although I expect I can continue to somehow upgrade this current frame. I've not looked at modding, fusion, etc. yet.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
So close to liking it... must . stick . with . it . . . ! :smile:

I spent a few hours just playing exterminate levels. I'm not keen on the excavation stuff, etc. I also figured out I can jump and slide long distance and double / triple jump and suddenly the levels are a lot more fun. I don't just jog from A to B any more! :tongueout: My frame is now at level 30 as are my weapons so I guess I need to buy more frames and weapon slots.

EDIT: Although I expect I can continue to somehow upgrade this current frame. I've not looked at modding, fusion, etc. yet.
Which Warframe are you using at the minute, Andy?

The modding and polarity stuff is pretty straight forward. Ideally you want to understand about the difference in taking on armoured enemies compared to those that are shielded. Different weapon types have greater or lesser effects upon them.

Excavation missions can be a bit tedious and overwhelming if your Warframe is a bit basic. They are however excellent levels at gaining resources to further build kit.

You do get to a point where the majority of the game’s mechanics simply click into place at its really enjoyable. There was a time where I’d pump hour after hour into this!

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
@Darren S
I'm using Volt - which is the one I started with. I have bought another Warframe slot and two weapon slots but that's it so far. I have various blueprint parts for Rhino and Oberon. I'm just running around doing a few of the early stages on Earth, Mars, etc. I've opened a few junctions but some are locked as I need to do 'something' with Lith Relics (I think). I've got a basic Archwing and I need to incubate a Kubrow. I'm sure it will become clearer soon! I just can't be arsed sitting through hours of Warframe YouTube videos as I just want to play the game and get into it that way!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
@Darren S
I'm using Volt - which is the one I started with. I have bought another Warframe slot and two weapon slots but that's it so far. I have various blueprint parts for Rhino and Oberon. I'm just running around doing a few of the early stages on Earth, Mars, etc. I've opened a few junctions but some are locked as I need to do 'something' with Lith Relics (I think). I've got a basic Archwing and I need to incubate a Kubrow. I'm sure it will become clearer soon! I just can't be arsed sitting through hours of Warframe YouTube videos as I just want to play the game and get into it that way!
I'd argue that the Volt is the best Warframe to begin with. It's the one I picked at the start and its abilities (certainly when stacked at higher levels) are pretty powerful.

The third ability (Electric Shield) works both ways. It reduces incoming fire but augments your outgoing fire with electricity damage. It can also be stacked - allowing you to put up to three shields in front of one another and the outgoing fire accumulating further damage with each shield it passes through on the way to the enemy.

The Volt is good against all types of enemy - but especially effective against the robotic enemies.