ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

pentium chips

mk1 172
pentium socket 775
pentium socket 478
whats the difference ?
i know the pins are different and all that rubbish but is there a difference in speed and whatever ?

Yes, the number represents the amount of pins. So the more pins it has the faster it can process stuff. But you need to make sure you have a compatible motherboard for the chip, as you cant put a 775 chip in a 478 socket, as it has to many pins.

172 cup'd extreme
775 chips are more modern and the 775 boards support things like dual ddr x2 , sata2 and PCI express and SLI . you cant buy 478 boards new anymore (only from old stock)

Monaro VXR
775 dont use pins well they do but there not on the processors there built into the boards themselves instead.

There no faster really. But they do carry support for DDR2 memory at 667mhz officially and gettning faster also the higher end chips have a 1066mhz front side bus rather than 800. And also dual core variants come in 775 sockets. Other than that theres not a great deal of difference except they usually support PCI-E graphics cards.

Its not really the chip thats different...its everything else. The chips are roughly the same speed and still use the same core as the 478.

I'd avoid the 478 if I were you, the boards may be rather cheap, but that's because they are agressively trying to phase them out and therefore a 3Ghz Presscott is now £50 more expensive than it was a year ago (478).

The 478 Prescotts run very hot 50oC in standby, 80 under load.