ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

People’s attitude towards their cars

Laguna

Hoping not to stir too much trouble, but what is it with people’s attitude towards the power of their cars these days. I have owned my 172 since march and im slowly growing up and realising that its not the quickest motor on the road and its never going to be. I still love it and would not part with it, im not going to moan about it in the slightest. I had a 1.4 RT clio that I “chaved up” and I got that out of my system, and I still wanted to own a Renault hence buying the Clio again. Anyway during a conversation in the pub on Saturday I was talking to a guy that just brought a Porsche think it’s a “911” white, soft-top on a “E” plate. He paid about 6k for it. Anyway he was raving about it for ages to us 5 lads, going that there is “nothing like owning a Porsche and nothing has the respect and stance of it on the road. It’s a classic and that all other road users are jealous of him, hence that’s why he gets cut up etc” – you probably know the type, ahem knob. Anyway I said to him joking that I would give him a go (you have to know me really, not really intimidated by anything) and they he let loose with a load of insults of how he owned a Type R Civic for a while and that mines nothing and he would lose me in every gear …. Bore bore bore. Anyway I didn’t bite but after his 6 pints in the pub he drove home.

There is always going to be something quicker on the road and I realise this, seems to me that peoples attitude on the roads is shocking, I post a few “what I have raced” topics on the boards. I love to have a play with bigger cars etc, but I take it all as good fun. But it makes me crack how people take it sooo seriously at times. What experiences have you guys had?

Clio v6

" Anyway I didn’t bite but after his 6 pints in the pub he drove home."

I hope you tried everything in your power to stop him? What did the Police say when you called them?

i agree!

Most people i race against in my rover 416 (pretty nippy car) take it so seriously, you can see it in their driving (and faces), but i have had a few i play with that when we seperate our ways, flash lights or wave to say nice one, thank you. I know i do! its all in good fun.

Hoping not to do too much of this kind of thing when i get my clio tho! Tho a 1.4, still a little slower than my rover 416

Laguna

I heard only later after he had gone that he drove. To be honest with his attitude I wasnt surprised. Kinda sumd him up really.

If I knew at the time he wouldnt have got his keys out of his pocket.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4

i feel the same, going from a 1.2 to my 172 it was amazing, the sensation of speed and power was great. But soon enough I started to realise that as powerful and great and fun to drive the 172 is, it is no supercar, and that there are a lot of cars on the road more advanced, like Subaru Imprezas and Mistu Evos, etc, etc. At the end of the day, it all comes down to money, if I could afford a Ferrari, I would be driving one, no point in trying to race something in a different class, knowing your cars limit and ability for some people is impossible, im quite clear in what mine will and wont do, and drive accordingly.

Laguna

Quote: Originally posted by badinvincible on 16 August 2004

sounds like a total w**ker, you should have put pubes in his pint
Lol nah, he didnt wind me up, every dog has its day. Just smiled and thought stuff to myself.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

At last some realism !!

The Clio sport models 16v/Williams/172/cups/182 are good at what they are, hot hatchs. Quick cars that handle brilliantly.

They arent however very fast in strait lines compared to the bigger more powerful cars.

Great fun to drive until that itch inside gets you and you feel the need to get something seriously fast!

[Edited by Matt16v on 16 August 2004 at 12:20pm]

Also Id rather have my tubby than an E reg Porker unless the porkers a turbo!

Laguna

Yep totally, what brings it to home is the other week I was lucky enough to go out in my mates Twin Turbo Supra, my mates 380bhp MR2 turbo and both of them bring the realism that my car is really quite slow.

Yeah as for the porker, its a non turbo think its about 200/230bhp or something im not sure. Its a shed of one anyway which is another reason I didnt bite. Just highlights my point really.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Id have told him to fcuk off, my next door neighbour had an old old 924/944 and not only did it look pants and wants all that quick.

I hate people that think cause of the name its a good car.

Old Porkers arent great cars, theyre uncomortable to drive, look cack, non turbos arent fast compared to modern day cars such as Boxters even.

300bhp MR2 Turbo

everyone knows that Cups are the quickest things on the road........;)
Problem is some people actually believe that!

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Quote: Originally posted by clio172boy on 16 August 2004

Yep totally, what brings it to home is the other week I was lucky enough to go out in my mates Twin Turbo Supra, my mates 380bhp MR2 turbo and both of them bring the realism that my car is really quite slow.

Yeah as for the porker, its a non turbo think its about 200/230bhp or something im not sure. Its a shed of one anyway which is another reason I didnt bite. Just highlights my point really.
By the way, could you find out whats been done to the MR2 to get 380bhp?

I love the acceleration of my 172 and the fact that it handles so well, but have no interest in driving it at top speed everywhere and really dont have anything to prove by racing yet another idiot with a big ego and a small.......!! :devilish:

Scooby and Evo drivers, they seem different, they play, they smile, wave and then they disapear in the distance!! :cool:

Quote: Originally posted by James on 16 August 2004

" Anyway I didn’t bite but after his 6 pints in the pub he drove home."

I hope you tried everything in your power to stop him? What did the Police say when you called them?
ABSOLUTELY

300bhp MR2 Turbo

Ill play with most people, faster or slower. Prefer faster cars though!

Once had a bout with an M3 in my 16v he whooped me but was pleasent, he also pulled me up and asked why my exhaust was flaming!

Laguna

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 16 August 2004

Owens Stage 4 CT26 Turbo (49.5mm compressor).
Custom CP forged pistons .
Blitz 850cc injectors.
HKS Valve Springs.
HKS 264 Camshafts.
Trust Intercooler.
Motec M4 ECU.
Aquamist 2c Water Injection.
Specs Stage 2 Clutch
Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel
HiSpec 335 mm big brake kit
Check his web site http://www.madcat.co.ukwww.madcat.co.uk

Its a lovely car, he works at my place.

Arctic Blue 182

Lets just hope the fella with the Porsche wrapped the thing round a lamp post, seriously injured himself without any other vehicles or pedestrians involved...... w*nker!

Laguna

lol!!

People and their image with their cars is a very funny thing. I guess we are all car snobs in a way just a real shame that people can be so childish

172 cup,s2 rs turbo

driving around on 6 pints is stupid,wont be long before he has a serious accident. lets just hope he is the only person he injures/kills when he does. what a toss pot

Laguna

Yep it is, unfortunatly I have seen and reported worse when I was working behind the bar at my local hotel. One guy used to drink in excess of that and drive his lorry up and down the motorways. That didnt last too long, he was in his 60s too, its very scary how it still goes on with the amount of information on the telly and posters in pubs now. To be honest if death is caused from a accident involving drink driving they deserve everything thrown at them. Even if there house is only a few miles down the road, it isnt the point is it guys.

182, GTR, C63

everyone knows that Cups are the quickest things on the road........;)
Yup sooo true!!!!!

I race people for fun not to prove anything. People take things to seriosly like whos car is fastest. I admit i drive too fast and it isnt safe but hey i pay my tax ect so ill do wot i want till i get caught.

There is much quicker machinery out there. Its all about having the money to own them. At the moment i can afford the clio and in its price range theres not many new cars that are a hell of a lot faster theres little difference in them. An exception to this rule is a caterham aor westfield.

Oh and finnally on a more serious note my cars faster than your car :p

E55, KitCar & '85 Quattro

Yep it is, unfortunatly I have seen and reported worse when I was working behind the bar at my local hotel. One guy used to drink in excess of that and drive his lorry up and down the motorways. That didnt last too long, he was in his 60s too, its very scary how it still goes on with the amount of information on the telly and posters in pubs now. To be honest if death is caused from a accident involving drink driving they deserve everything thrown at them. Even if there house is only a few miles down the road, it isnt the point is it guys.
yeah, a guy the other day came in, hed parked his hgv up near by in safeway and i served him about 4drinks, on the 4th one i asked if he was ok, but he was being so nice to me, telling me all about how much mpg he got in his truck, it didnt really register to me that he may have been over the limit! He was a 16stoner tho, prob didnt touch the sides!

how fast do you want go ??? the 172 is quick enough by a long way to get you into real trouble if you feck up or someone else on the road does. it corners neat (with eibacks hehe) and the acceraltion may be crap compard to modern sports cars but i get a genuine 40mpg and can do 10+ journeys to work and back (50.1 miles a day work travel so 25 there 25 back) and a few drives into town 10-15miles on top so iam usually gettin 300miles to a tank easliy.

people forget that old sports cars were considered quick if they hit 60 in 7 secs. thats still quick to get a Tonne of metal moving upto 60mph !!! so i agree, there is always something faster (usually turbo with mega crap economy or looks) but i have still kept up with some modern cars to !20 (new BMW 535i) which is fast enough for me and my car cost 12k new.

BTW how much fuel do you think a car with 380hp from standing start or full throttle over 130mph (wind resistance) is using ??? maybe 4-6mpg at best !!!

Clio 1.4, SV650S

ive always known my car is slow but i used to rag it anyway. recenlty have realised there isnt a poihnt in ragging it, i may as well get most mpg as possible... also if you want to go quick in a car its going to cost a few bucks.

so im going to do what ive been meaning to for ages and get my bike theorhy out of the way :D

Astra VXR 17/05/07

This guy is a complete dickhead.

So hes spent about 6k on an old car and thinks hes the bees knees and everybody hates him because of his car.

I laugh at people like that,hes typical somebody thinking hes arrived in life when actually hes stood on the platform waiting to depart.

I would so love to grass him up for drink driving.....prick.

Personally I consider it murder! If you get into a car pissed you are trying to kill someone, simlple as, you know the risks so dont drive pissed!

Their egos cant deal with the idea that theyre not Mikey Schumacher.

Ya have to pick cars that complement ya driving ability to enjoy them the most, id hate to have a car i was scared to push and cost the world to run.

Play with realistic equiverlents of ya car and ya wont go wrong, plus youll enjoy it more and stand a reasonable chance of winning.

Bottom line is: dont let ya ego get out of control and dominate ya driving, itll only get burnt.

Laguna

Quote: Originally posted by major b on 16 August 2004

Their egos cant deal with the idea that theyre not Mikey Schumacher.

Ya have to pick cars that complement ya driving ability to enjoy them the most, id hate to have a car i was scared to push and cost the world to run.

Play with realistic equiverlents of ya car and ya wont go wrong, plus youll enjoy it more and stand a reasonable chance of winning.

Bottom line is: dont let ya ego get out of control and dominate ya driving, itll only get burnt.
Spot on, couldnt agree more.

Laguna

Quote: Originally posted by Matt16v on 16 August 2004

Owens Stage 4 CT26 Turbo (49.5mm compressor).
Custom CP forged pistons .
Blitz 850cc injectors.
HKS Valve Springs.
HKS 264 Camshafts.
Trust Intercooler.
Motec M4 ECU.
Aquamist 2c Water Injection.
Specs Stage 2 Clutch
Fidanza Lightweight Flywheel
HiSpec 335 mm big brake kit
Check his web site http://www.madcat.co.ukwww.madcat.co.uk

Its a lovely car, he works at my place.
Check out page one Matt, but aboves the spec, check his web site too mate.