ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

People thoughts on buying a ph1

PH2 172
After owning my 172 cup for over a year I'm now in the need to save some money and get a cheaper car which will give me a start of saving so the time may be coming to sell the 172 cup. I'm no good at looking for cars and Iv found a ph1 sunflower Clio bodywork looks amazing ok has the odd carpark ding and stonechip which I'm sure is normal for a 10year old car. Has just shy of 90k cambelt, aux belt and oil etc has all be changed all the interior etc looks very very tidy no signs of wear on the leather which is also a bonus. thing that got me was the last owner lost all the paperwork due to a burst pipe soaked it all but the current owner has tried his best to get it bk up together and it has had 8 owners ok owner now has only had it couple of months and the last owners were mainly Car dealers. Is this a bad put off or does it in general sound ok. Cheers

After owning my 172 cup for over a year I'm now in the need to save some money and get a cheaper car which will give me a start of saving so the time may be coming to sell the 172 cup. I'm no good at looking for cars and Iv found a ph1 sunflower Clio bodywork looks amazing ok has the odd carpark ding and stonechip which I'm sure is normal for a 10year old car. Has just shy of 90k cambelt, aux belt and oil etc has all be changed all the interior etc looks very very tidy no signs of wear on the leather which is also a bonus. thing that got me was the last owner lost all the paperwork due to a burst pipe soaked it all but the current owner has tried his best to get it bk up together and it has had 8 owners ok owner now has only had it couple of months and the last owners were mainly Car dealers. Is this a bad put off or does it in general sound ok. Cheers

8 owners and no service history? Wouldnt touch it. Unless its cheap, really cheap.

Ph 1 172
8 owners and no service history? Wouldnt touch it. Unless its cheap, really cheap.

+1 surely its not going to be any cheaper to run than your cup either, and will probably cost you more inthe long run as its an older car that will more than likely need working doing to it soon.

No history means you can ignore the 'oh yeah, the cambelt was done' shizzle as you'll need to get it done again.

Sell your Cup. 3k max. Then buy a tatty ph1 with no service history and more previous owners than an Essex bird. So unless this Ph1 is £500, then avoid it.

Better the devil you know. A Ph1 won't be cheaper to run than a Cup. It's the same car.

PH2 172
It's the yellow 1 in the forsale section looks amazing condition so aint tatty bloke seems genuine. Has pics of the cambelt etc being done he said hel send ova loads more pictures of the car showing me everything.

PH2 172
Not that wanna save on the running cost I wantto buy a cheaper car so I'm left with some cash to put in savings if that makes any sense

aldo_87

ClioSport Club Member
  Campus 1*2
About the 8 owners and no service history, the cambelt is defo an issue and for peace of mind I'd get it done. But if the car is HPI clear and your happy with the condition, the way it drives etc then go for it if the money is right.

Ive bought 3 imports with no service history, no information at all, no HPI check etc and 2 out of the 3 were immaculate. If the bodywork is straight then the rest is only nuts and bolts. But as said the price would need to be right!

PH2 172
Yea you could be right there. it's one them things need to think isit worth doin or not. Like said did put me off when said had 8 owners and no service history he does sound genuine bout how the last owner lost it :-/ hmm

At the moment I presume you have a mint and working Cup. You know it's quirks. You know it's got service history. You know that you've looked after it etc etc. You know that in x amount of miles you might need to replace whatever part.

But if you buy a Ph1 in the effort to save money, you might save £1k-£2k. Depending on what you get for yours and what you can find for sale. But a second hand car is always going to have problems. Far better sticking with what you know.

The one you mention to start with, the guy might be honest or he might be a good liar. Not really worth the risk, so you'd need to get the belts done. So that's another £500. Keeping the Cup is the thinking mans choice.

PH2 172
Yea that is a good bit of advice. Yea mine is all fine apart could do with a full repaint now someone tried knocking me sport badge of back scratched the boot back bumper always had marks from previous owner catching something front is pretty stonechips and sides pretty bad but of had that done at least I'd have myself a mint car like you said it fsh know when everything has to be done.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Buying cars to save money very seldom works especially at the lower end of the price bracket.

Mk5 golf gti
i would get the phase 1 not to save money, but just because they are the best RS clio :)

PH2 172
Haha it does looks nice he sent me pics today of the paper work from Renault showing the cambelt and defraser pulley ect that was done sent me more pics of the car and it looks so tidy. Looks awesome in yellow

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I don't wish to piss on your chips, but isn't your car a Cat D? So its value will be a lot closer to a tidy ph1 than an uncategorised car.

Its a pointless change. You'll change cars and the money saved you'll end up spending on getting the cheaper car up to standard.

The only way of doing it (imo) is to sell yours and buy a sub 500 quid diesel banger.

Last edited:
  PH2 172
Iv been offered 3K for mine standard. Im quessing get ph1 for 1500ish and have all my stuff to go on it so wouldn't be nothing to do. it's something I been thinking about get rid of mine as it's been smashed into or get a hpi cleared minter which I must say this 1 is. Still unsure what do

Discounted 1*2 parts
If you wan't to save money buy a dci ;)

why is a PH1 gonna be cheaper then owning a Cup?

Is it worth it for a grand or so? Especially when the new car might have loads of problems.

Stick with what you know (unless your current car is a nail) I made the same mistake when downgrading from a 182 to a ph1 and in the long run i didn't save anything.

If you want to save money get a dci

PH2 172
Yea i understand thing is with my car which for a long time has annoyed me as yea its been in a smack and to me needs more work to make it mint. yea i love my car laods and think it looks spot on but that 1k would be greast go toward the £2500 i need to save up yea ok i could sell my car get a banger for abit but i still want suming half decent which is why i found this clio ok it hasnt got no service history due to the last owner having that burst pipe but the guy i have spoke to seems genuine about everything and has sent me pictires of the reciept from renault for cambelt pulleys etc etc it is still a do i or dnt i. but like said the 1k would be so nice for my 2500 savings