ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Performance Gains

GT86, 335, Westfield
Just out of interest..

With a mildly modded Clio, say exhaust, remap, stripped interior, coilovers and good set up (let's not get too bogged down with details), what sort of performance gains could you reasonable expect?

Does anyone actually have any before and after lap times?

I'm very interested to know.

Please don't reply by saying 'driver improvement, traffic etc etc'

Thanks

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
I'm no expert but I'd say most on here would say that with those mods, you won't see much power increase and your lap time gains will come from handling, as for handling, I'd say there's no two "trackday" clios alike and times would vary a bit, you might be better off specifying tyres and suspension too, hope this helps, best I can do lol :)

Inferno 182
No point in doing mild mods like that if your going for performance, you need alot of money if you want to get good performance out of your clio. Not that clio's are slow but they don't improve much on mild performance parts. Go for looks instead of performance i'd say if you're on a small budget.

clio mk1 RSI
just out of interest why would you even care about a clios laptime and mods when you have an exige, and through personal experience subtle mods will only make noise and give the illusion that it faster. to get any decent gains you have to spent serious cash, I would also agree lap times are not all about power more your suspension and brake setup.

clio mk1 RSI
sorry forgot to add the most important thing you can buy to improve a cars performance are good tyres

53 Clio's & counting
My old clio was 6.7 secs on average 0-60 and 5.7 secs 0-60 after I fitted itb's - this was on a G-tec performance meter, so probably not hugely accurate, but a good improvement non the less

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
No point in doing mild mods like that if your going for performance, you need alot of money if you want to get good performance out of your clio. Not that clio's are slow but they don't improve much on mild performance parts. Go for looks instead of performance i'd say if you're on a small budget.

we have a guy asking about gains and lap times and your telling him to concentrate on looks?

this place gets worse all the time!!

a quick search on the place and you will learn that yeah your not going to get massive gains from the basics but the added drivability makes the difference imo, the cars are quick when they are high up in the revs but the basic intake, exhaust and ecu mods give the car that bit extra lower down and mid range that makes the difference, how much use this makes on the track i suppose could be debatable, it makes a worth while difference on a fast road car though!

Inferno 182
This place probably gets worse because of people like you that can't keep their own thoughts to themselves and have to look around the website looking for arguments!! It was advice mate thats what forums are for..

Inferno 182
Your calling me a chav c**t and you dont even know me, and you've never seen my car so don't have a clue what ive dont to it?

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
This place probably gets worse because of people like you that can't keep their own thoughts to themselves and have to look around the website looking for arguments!! It was advice mate thats what forums are for..

lol who are you?

it was completely un related advice you gave him

Inferno 182
it was advice telling him not to waste his money on small mods to improve lap times? how isn't that unrelated?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Coilovers (a good set and well setup) should take about 1 sec per lap off (on a corner heavy track I.e. Oulton park) like the trophy is stated to loose compared to the norm 182 and then I would say strippage another half sec, zaust will do nothin but a remap it should give better pull through the gears and with a higher rev limit it will mean less gear changes and you may loose a bit of time but on track days in a road car nothin noticeable apart from better driver feeling :)

Hope this make better sense than there chav argument above lol

RS 182
Well Ive just fitted some Aero wiper blades and a bee sting arial and its made my 182 much faster. I rekon its give me about 7BHP :approve:

Back to the mans question, in my experience from looking all over this forum for improvements then unless youve got some mega bucks to spend you will never really improve BHP and engine performance. yes you can do mild mods to help, Air Filters, Exhaust etc but it won't make a massive difference.

Someones already mentioned that it's probably better first to spend your money on Tyres/Suspension and I have to agree. This is the next stage I am going to go down with my 182.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
Are you lot seriously getting this upset over one bit of advice?? Grow up :L

yes we are, personally because im fed up of clueless people giving opinions on stuff they have no idea about, if someone asks a question and i dont have a clue about it then i dont reply to that thread!

its killing this place

Inferno 182
How was i clueless about it? If i was to turn my car into a track car i wouldn't just buy small performance mods. Simple.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
How was i clueless about it? If i was to turn my car into a track car i wouldn't just buy small performance mods. Simple.

Sorry dude but looks don't make any Clio sport go any faster round a track mild mods will to a small extent, just end it there!

Inferno 182
Yeah i know that but theres no point spending all that money for a few seconds off your track time is there?

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
Yeah i know that but theres no point spending all that money for a few seconds off your track time is there?

Your opinion is not everyone elses I'm sorry :S (i spend a lot of money on small mods and I like it I'm afraid lol) so please either state it as you opinion or don't put it down as information :)

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

yeah no point at all, infact why even do a track day? lets just get silvervisions and bad boy floor mats. who cares about lap times as long as your indicators look awesome and your carpets are safe!

Inferno 182
Your opinion is not everyone elses I'm sorry :S (i spend a lot of money on small mods and I like it I'm afraid lol) so please either state it as you opinion or don't put it down as information :)

Yeah thats fair enough, i honestly didn't mean to put it as info it was just an opinion but can see how it came across wrong lol. Didn't expect it to turn into an argument lol :L

ITB'd MK1
Yeah thats fair enough, i honestly didn't mean to put it as info it was just an opinion but can see how it came across wrong lol. Didn't expect it to turn into an argument lol :L

I wouldn't take it too personally, Martin's right that there's a lot of poor advice being given recently. I think this was just the straw that broke the camels back and he snapped ;) I've got very annoyed about it myself a few times