ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Petrol Consumption when ragging the 172

Shed.
So for those of you with standard 172's (engine wise not springs etc etc) how long (mileage) does a full tank last you when you go out and rag your car.

With a 1.2 i can drive it all week and give it death and itll still do 220 miles to the tank lol.

Driven sensibly i can get 280-300 out of it.

1. So when ragged you get how many miles, and how long does that alst you in terms of days or hours

2. When driven sensibly how many miles does that get you to a full tank, ie, allmost hitting the red.

i think i do about 200-250 miles a week in my car.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
When it's being ragged, probs average of 22-24 mpg dunno how many miles that is to a tank :p

Driven sensibly till the light comes on, bout 340 miles of motorway + normal driving around town

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
220 miles from a 1.2 is not much, get more than that in my 172

I'm going to the ring soon, i'll reset my MPG thing there, that will give a better indication.

D

dick

lol 220, 280 if sensible miles to a tank. ur 1.2 is fucked mate.

bout 400, touching 600 if im on a long journey and drive slowly. thats in my 1.2

clio 172
i get maybe 200 miles to a tank at a guess, i have to top up about once a week and always use super unleaded do you guys notice much diference in using super unleaded to regular?

Shed.
lol 220, 280 if sensible miles to a tank. ur 1.2 is f**ked mate.

bout 400, touching 600 if im on a long journey and drive slowly. thats in my 1.2

yeap. but like i said the car has never seen the red light . i dont even know if it works lol. I dont get it though. Even when i do drive like a nunn i rarely get more than 300.

So when the guage is sat about a mm next to the red mark, how long does it last untill it needs filling up, or even till the red light comes on.. ?

Black Gold with cup packs
I do about 260miles to £40 of petrol and that is mixed driving I only tend to put my foot down when I see a bit of competition

T

thecremeegg

dick 600 from one tank?! thats nearing 60mpg, not sure thats possible :S thats insane, ur engine must be like new then. the most i got from my 1.4 was 370 to a tank, and thats what i class as good!

Shed.
I do about 260miles to £40 of petrol and that is mixed driving I only tend to put my foot down when I see a bit of competition

well that aint bad. As long as i can keep my part time job while im at uni i should be ok.

PS. i 99.9% of the time drive around town. trips to college and work are allways built up areas, and very rarely get to go fast. !

D

dick

touching, i said, havent done it, but i recs id be close i ran it dry. (now theres a plan)
well ive had 550 plenty of times and i dont no how much petrol was left, \on the orange tho, probnly not much to be honest.

tht said, i only get consumption like that if im sat behind a lorry and going 56mph!

Black Gold with cup packs

well that aint bad. As long as i can keep my part time job while im at uni i should be ok.

PS. i 99.9% of the time drive around town. trips to college and work are allways built up areas, and very rarely get to go fast. !

TBH mate you will use more petrol zipping around town than banging your foot down on an open road.

D

dick

dick 600 from one tank?! thats nearing 60mpg, not sure thats possible :S thats insane, ur engine must be like new then. the most i got from my 1.4 was 370 to a tank, and thats what i class as good!

lol, sounds like a bag of spanners my engine! aparantly it runs fairly efficiently tho!

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Approx 300-350 to a tank depending on how I'v driven it.

Remember you probably won't be driving it as 'hard' as the 1.2, when I had an old 1 litre fiesta I floored it everywhere as that's the only way I coul dmake the car go :p But when I got a bigger engined car didn't need to do that to make as much progress :)

Last edited:
  ST
My old 1.2 16v dynamique used to get around 38mpg normal driving, givin it a bit of right foot...sometimes below 30...

My 182 gets around 30-32mpg normal town/commuting, up to around 36-40mpg on a long motorway run...but can drop to around 22-24mpg when giving it some..

Shed.
Approx 30-350 to a tank depending on how I'v driven it.

Remember you probably won't be driving it as 'hard' as the 1.2, when I had an old 1 litre fiesta I floored it everywhere as that's the only way I coul dmake the car go :p But when I got a bigger engined car didn't need to do that to make as much progress :)

30 or 300 lol ?

Yeah tbh i find that i need the bit of extra power and i need to floor it. I guess if i had a 172, i couldnt drive like i do in my 1.2, because id quite simply crash it.

178hp 172 Cup
mine averages about 24 - 25 mpg!! but i do alot of town driving ( stop and start )!! on the motorway at around 70mph i get around 30mpg!! but on track i only get 18mpg :(

MarkCup

ClioSport Club Member
I can empty a full tank of V-power in 130 miles on a trackday in my Cup, or I can make it last 400+ miles on my weekly commute if I try hard enough.

Best of both worlds IMO.

182 Clio
im not shore says bout 340 wen i fill her up but have filled up twise in a 24hr period i think for the speed of them there good on petrol and well fun 2 drive

Black 172
Well, I mainly drive on the motorway. I only ever put in £30 as I'm cheap and I get 300 miles on that.

MPG is usually high 40's circa. 45-46. I reset quite alot though! As a general rule of thumb, £10 = 100 miles, £20 = 200 etc...

53 Clio's & counting
mine avarages 35 mpg,i never let it run down too much,put about £33 ish to fill it up then i get about 250 miles to that