ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Petrol, Petrol, Petrol, Petrol

Fiesta ST
ukaskew said:
All well and good, but millions of us are born into rural areas, we can't all move into cities where public transport is adequate.
This is very true. I hate people, mainly politicians, who think that everyone lives in london or large metropolitan areas and therefore make polices and decisions based on this assumption. I have never really lived in a city environment, neither would I want to, nor should I have to. Public transport isnt anyway near adequate enough in many rural areas to justify not using a car on a regular basis. Governments should be putting pressure on car companies to make environmentally friendly cars, not putting pressure on its public, which it is supposed to represent, and causing them more financial strain than is necessary.

MKIII 138
^^^ what he said, the village i used to live in has not one bus !

city folk need to realise that thre are about 52 cities in england but about 15,000 towns, and god knows how many villages. almost everyone is gonna be fucked if they dont come up with a viable solution to petrol... ohh hang on they have, bio ethanol and it priduces 20% more power !!! imagine that :D

still, if the planet runs dry of fossil fuels, the cars we drive are 3000mpg and renewable yet the roads we drive are shot to fuk and broken, we in the UK will pay just the same ammount as we do now. this country was founded on tax. the king taxing the pesants, we will see air tax in our lifetime.

Audi Q7, Avalanche
with regards to the USA comment, slighty harsh but i know what you are getting at. I'm over here (US) at the mo, and we are also suffering petrol increases beyond anything they have ever paid before. granted, they still only pay $3 per Gallon (yes gallon, not litre!!) which is roughly GBP1.74 per gallon which is still great!! it is projected to go past $4 per gallon and maybe even $5, which again is cheap by ours in comparison, but if you look at the price increases it represents a double in price since i arrived in March.

the normal Gas they use is only Ron 88!! their super is only 91?!? cant understand that unless they use slightly different scales for measuring octane ratings, V-power (shell) is only 95 here in the state of Washington. Its a biatch driving around in my 7.3 litre Ford F250 turbo diesel! haha hmmmmm 8mpg is the future! NOT! infact, i reckon i could fit my clio 172 cup on the back of my truck! haha

RenaultSport clio 182
Ello, aye the petrol prices are gettin ridicious, its gettin beyond a joke pmsl. 100.6 litre!!!:dapprove:

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
we pay over 60% tax on fuel which means we are actually only paying about 40p a litre, the rest goes to the government!, only about 30p of that 40p goes to the petrol company e.g bp,shell etc i think!

So yes the petrol companies are making some money but not as much as the government!, the b******s wont cut tax its disgusting this country! which is why i intend on getting the f**k out before it gets any worse!

Moving abroad will not mean you escape the international problem of high oil prices.

The point about rural living are valid - I myself was brought up in Wales and appreciate what we often see as the "need" for a car.

The sad fact is that we don't have a right to live anywhere in particular or to something in particular that supports that (i.e. petrol in this instance). Rural living was once supported by a localised economy and little travel; now it is often supported by high amounts of travel and characterised by low levels of economic activity. Car use and reasonably affordable fuels in particular currently supports this to a great extent.

What we are looking at here is the start of a change process. We can't expect the market economy to undervalue scarce resource (i.e. oil), so we either dispose of the market economy or become inventive. Hence LPG conversions, biodiesel etc to keep us mobile.

As I have said, a reduction in fuel duty would be a problematic and short-term measure that increased the UK's dependence on oil precisely when we need to move away from it. Being dependent on oil as supplies dwindle will lead to far greater hardship for people in rural areas (or any other area for that matter) than if we focus our efforts on alternative fuels.

The end of cheap petrol does not mean the end of fun motoring. But we have to take proper action to support new fuels now - and not spend our time moaning about a mathematical certainty, i.e. the demise of oil.

www.renparts.co.uk
sainsburys 95: 92.9p
sainsburys 97: 94.9p Seems a bit cheaper around the yorkshire area... still feel raped though ;)