ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PETROL :(

2001 Clio 1.2
I travel around 16 miles a day and i am putting a tenner in every other day and i only have a mk2 mh2 1.2, is this normal or is my car buggered?
Cheers,
Joe.

soon to be 182 ;)
mine is bad on fuel (1.4 8v) how many miles can you get off a tank (mine does 250) which is crap, has it been serviced? lambda sensor going?

Civic Type R
My 182's alot better than that something's up, someone with better knowledge will probably be along shortly to advise..

Listerine & Poledo
depends, if you drive it around the red-line all the time, you'll find this is the effect

2001 Clio 1.2
Dunno how many miles it will do on a full tank, most i put in is £20 n that only lasts me 3-4 days max so £20 gets me around 60 miles

Listerine & Poledo
mine is bad on fuel (1.4 8v) how many miles can you get off a tank (mine does 250) which is crap, has it been serviced? lambda sensor going?

Geez!

the 172 will crack 400 to the tank, on motorways. 350ish with normal driving.

soon to be 182 ;)
Geez!

the 172 will crack 400 to the tank, on motorways. 350ish with normal driving.

exactly its a piss take having mine serviced on saturday so will see what its like next week but i dont recon i could crack 300 without driving like an old woman (and i rarely boot it as well)

2001 Clio 1.2
I'm always in the highest gear possible and i very very rarely put my foot down and its getting to the point where i just cant afford petrol as i'm only on a crappy apprentice wage :(

Could be something as simple as a Lambda sensor causing to to overfuel...

How does it drive?
Any warning lights?
Is the car standard?
Serviced as required?

2001 Clio 1.2
How does it drive? Normap
Any warning lights? Nope
Is the car standard? Yep
Serviced as required? Yep

Sounds about right if you have your foot down all the way
I dont thats why its annoying me.

Stu.

ClioSport Club Member
  lots of clios.
When was it last serviced? Oil change etc? My old 1.2 was doing approx 200 to a full tank. And then gave it quite a big service just changing fluids and stuff and it was alot better. I may be talking balls and it was infact a mind thing though lol! My 172 gets about 250 miles to a tank but i sit in alot of traffic and boot it about a bit lol

I get around 60 miles ish to a £10er, I have an open filter which makes mpg worse... so yeah 60 for £20 isnt good...

Sometimes i think mine is bad on fuel! but because its a low engined car it needs a bit of push to get it anywhere...

Ive read the lambda sensor has solved a lot of problems with mpg problems, id also have it serviced, make sure your filters, plugs, and oil are clean and new...

ValverInBits
Lambda sensor typically causes awful fuel economy, but that is very very bad. Unless it's all town driving.

Could be a combination. Tyre pressure, wheel bearings (any speed related noise?), Lambda sensor, thermostat (is the temp gauge coming up to the centre properly),

172cup
Change Lambda sensors Disconnect battery for 15 mins to let the ecu reset and check to see if its any better as something is obviously wrong as most 1*2's seem to get high 30's low 40's MPG wise while driving like you ve not robbed the bank. Good service could also sort the car out if its been a while since having one done.

1.2 16v Extream, Black
i used to get about 35mpg average but i have a little bit of a led foot and £10 would do me 55miles ishh so somethin wrong and mine hadnt been serviced for a while either

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Can't remember reasons why, as I'm a bit thick and it's early:S

Try putting in more than a tenner, as 2nd half of tank always go's quicker than 1st. So if you put in say £40 or £50 and then divide by four or five, just to see if on average you're getting more than at present. Just a thought..

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Try putting in more than a tenner, as 2nd half of tank always go's quicker than 1st. So if you put in say £40 or £50 and then divide by four or five, just to see if on average you're getting more than at present. Just a thought..

Please tell me thats a sarcastic reply and you didn't actually mean that??

soon to be 182 ;)

on the gauge maybe but not the actual amount of petrol used

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
I travel around 16 miles a day and i am putting a tenner in every other day and i only have a mk2 mh2 1.2, is this normal or is my car buggered?
Cheers,
Joe.

Have you actually ran it dry? Put a couple of cans in the boot, and drive until it runs out.
Put the £10 fuel cans in the car and keep a spare can in the boot.

Drive until it runs out and work out real world MPG.

soon to be 182 ;)
Have you actually ran it dry? Put a couple of cans in the boot, and drive until it runs out.
Put the £10 fuel cans in the car and keep a spare can in the boot.

Drive until it runs out and work out real world MPG.

or brim it, run till its empty then brim it again so you know how much petrol youve used and how fay youve been

Sir_Dave

ClioSport Trader
Fill the tank, drive till its half empty, fill it again.

Work out mpg properly.

Saves you running out half way dwn the motorway lol.

Then post your results. You'll probably find that your car is fine, its just that putting in £10 here & there isnt a very accurate way of measuring mpg.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Fill the tank, drive till its half empty, fill it again.

Work out mpg properly.

Saves you running out half way dwn the motorway lol.

Then post your results. You'll probably find that your car is fine, its just that putting in £10 here & there isnt a very accurate way of measuring mpg.

Basically what I was trying to say, just threw in another point for discussion :eek: