ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Flamer - Subtle, Working Progress *PIC HEAVY*

You've just persuaded me to get some cooksport springs after seeing this!

What bike rack/roof rack combo are you using there?

Cheers

Would highly recommend the cooksports mate, superb value.
I've got genuine Renault roof bars and ive forgotten the make of the cycle carrier but I also have a thule 591 carrier which I'd say is slightly better

Renault Master
Both amazing wheels tbh love the colour of this car and ph1 front end is my fav!

ph1 172... Sold:(
arg_carra

Hi, I'm Steven Greenhough, from Manchester, I was the owner of Y795 DTV for 5 years. I bought her from an old couple in Cheshire in spring 2007 with 29k ish on the clock. I immediately got the 'big' service done at RS Tuning in Leeds, belts and all, she needed discs and pads allround, tyres, balljoints etc.

She was a great car. I had a LOT of fun with her, learned to throttle-match down-shifts and lift-off over-steer in her, span her a couple of times on Bredbury roundabout and Denton Island. The usual 'blats' were Woodhead Pass, Holme Road, and Greenfield Road. The only real issues I had...

She started intermittently refusing to start, she'd turn over but not 'catch'. Searches on here suggested TDC sensor failure so I bought one and whipped out the spanner and soldering iron... only to find that did nothing to resolve the issue. Turned out that the transponder in the key I was using had died, changing the battery did nowt to fix it, so I was down to the second key only...

Ridiculous knocking from the gearbox when coming off-power, or changing gear when accelerating hard, was cured by poly-bushing the dog-bone mount.

The front tyres tended to be ground down to nowt in what seemed like weeks. I kept it on Yoke A539's until I couldn't find them any more, they were a bit suss in the wet but epic in the dry, and suited the nature of the car quite well. The wheels were in fair nick when I got it but not perfect... one of them however was totalled when a guy in an old Sherpa pulled out of a T-junction without looking (or caring) and forced me to evade into the kerb.

The passenger foot-well filled with water when the rubber dampening sponge that sandwiches between the washer bottle and the bulkhead perished and came adrift. I removed the interior and ended up cutting the carpet lengthways near the handbrake to get the carpet out. Once dried it was all refitted... If you look you'll see a small gap where the carpet was cut. Very occasionally, after very very heavy rain, the spare wheel well would get a little bit wet.

The blower fan stopped turning, so before I splashed out on a new blower I dismantled it and cleaned the brushes and armature with rc car motor cleaner. I needed to test the clean had worked before re-assembling so I propped the motor and fan on the bulkhead and connected it up. When I turned the key it became apparent that I'd left the fan control 'on' so I quickly grabbed the fan. The result was a small rub/burn to the bulkhead paint and a big burn across the palm of my hand from the spinning fan. At least the fan was working...

Ok so there were quite a few issues, but nothing that couldn't have happened to 'any' car. I did the minor services myself, I always used decent quality plugs and oil, and I think there was only one year where I didn't do a 6-month oil change... I was only averaging about 9k a year so I doubt that will have harmed her. I also did several disc/pad renewals, front and rear, and regular fluid changes. The only mods were PH2 rear light clusters (I see you changed them back;) did you have difficulty with the wiring, the sheaths were already very faded when I did it), clear side repeaters and silvatec (yo!) repeater bulbs all round, but at least 2 of them had blown and been replaced with standard.

I don't know if the springs were in that bad nick when I sold her. I'd put new front wishbones, ARB bushes, and fresh dampers on all round after around 2 years and they were OK at that point. One of the bump stops had separated though and I have to confess that was a gaffer-tape fix.

I'm glad she's ended up with someone who's obviously getting a lot out of owning her. I sold her for a cheap price to a guy I worked with who likes motors and had been lusting after her a bit. The next belt service was due and, with a 3rd child on the way and petrol and insurance going up (no idea why the insurance was going up, I hadn't been involved in anything and I was on full protected NCB by the time it was sold) I couldn't keep spending on her. As it stands, selling her has got to be well up the in the list of Bad Decisions I've So Far Lived To Regret.

The guy I sold it to loved it, but was soon seduced by an Alfa his dad was selling. The dad took the flamer in PX, gave it a real good clean (I was never a detailer!), and then PX'd it himself against a Z3, from the garage where I guess you bought her?

She looks well in the pics, I'm pretty sure that must be her first new clutch, and if it and the car lasts as long as the last one she'll no doubt be heading for a ripe old age.

Some of the scenery north of the border is stunning, and I'm sure that she'll find some of the roads familiar. Darren S on here is a good friend of mine and we did a road trip a few years back where we took in Glen Coe, Fort William, Glen Shiel, the Cattle Pass to applecross, Ullapool, Inverness and Loch Ness, Sheigra, amongst others. There's a thread somewhere on here that he submitted... The roads in Scotland are like nothing else; there are no road signs in Greater Manchester advocating safe overtaking practices!

Anyway, sorry to ramble. I hope you find something interesting in my brief history of Y795 DTV. It's nice to see the old girl still doing the business!

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Great post mate, Al will no doubt be very happy to hear first hand history.
I'm sure I remember the thread of your tour of Scotland, I ended up doing similar this year as well!

Steven many thanks for taking the time to post all the information on the car. It's great to hear the history from another owner and it certainly sounds as if the car has been very well looked after from day one.

I bought the car in June 2012 from Hyland Cars, Disley Greater Manchester. The owner did mention that the car had been traded in for a Z3 so you're thoughts on that would be correct. The car came with stacks of paperwork, mostly with your name on and shows no expense has been spared in maintenance.

I changed the clutch purely because the release bearing was very noisy and thought may as well do a replacement if going to the effort to dismantle everything.

The car has been extremely reliable although I am still living with the key issue! She is garaged every night and really only used at weekends so I can't say I've noticed any water in the spare wheel well. I did a belt change about 6 months ago. Although they were not due they were done for piece of mind as the car is used for longer journeys and may well be getting used for a driving holiday to Europe later in the year.

The car is now just about to turn over to 80000 miles which is still relatively low and I have no plans to sell up as they really are great little cars.

Once again thanks for the info mate, it's much appreciated! :)

ph1 172... Sold:(
Saw this also John, a really good write up :)

It's funny seeing the Applecross road pics, especially the one with Daz's BG overlooking the same gulley with the loch in the background... Unfortunately DTV was parked behind the 182 here, and didn't quite make it into the shot.

BTW, have you still got the K-Tec exhaust that I fitted on her? I was wondering what you thought of it? They don't get the best write-up on here but in SS form (middle box deleted) I thought it made a great noise, and it sometimes made some great pop & bang type noises when blipped/on overrun...

Last edited:
It's funny seeing the Applecross road pics, especially the one with Daz's BG overlooking the same gulley with the loch in the background... Unfortunately DTV was parked behind the 182 here, and didn't quite make it into the shot.

BTW, have you still got the K-Tec exhaust that I fitted on her? I was wondering what you thought of it? They don't get the best write-up on here but in SS form (middle box deleted) I thought it made a great noise, and it sometimes made some great pop & bang type noises when blipped/on overrun...

Yeah the K-Tec system is still fitted. I did swpa the un-silenced section for a silenced one but it didn't make much difference. I find it too loud to be pefectly honest but theres technically nothing wrong with it so i think i'll probably just leave it.

George@RTR_Parts

ClioSport Trader
  need BRAKES? PM me
Its looking well Al, think I prefer it on the silvers F1s mate. Looks nice and fresh on them imo

Good of the lad to post about owning it aswel