ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Idle Problem

RenaultSport 172
Hi all,

I finished my last session at combe last week, and I noticed that the clio was idling at around 2k. So I thought the spring in the throttle body has given up again.

So I've bought a Russ 16v super greased up TB and now the car is still idling at 2k but is now hunting?!

Do I have to adjust the throttle cable? Or is it most likely something else is broken?

Hi all,

I finished my last session at combe last week, and I noticed that the clio was idling at around 2k. So I thought the spring in the throttle body has given up again.

So I've bought a Russ 16v super greased up TB and now the car is still idling at 2k but is now hunting?!

Do I have to adjust the throttle cable? Or is it most likely something else is broken?

Easy to check, start it without an elbow/filter on it....see what position the butterfly is in.

Apart from that mine idled high if the lambda sensor or idle control valve wasnt plugged in

340i
Mine started doing this... new throttle cable, £18 sorted the issue :)

You could also try re-adjusting your original first

Or clean the ICV

:)

RenaultSport 172
Easy to check, start it without an elbow/filter on it....see what position the butterfly is in.

Apart from that mine idled high if the lambda sensor or idle control valve wasnt plugged in

Lambda sensor was replaced december for MOT not sure about the Idle control valve.

I'll check to see what position the butterfly is in, in the morning. :)

How badly is it hunting mate?

Umm Not too bad but it's noticeable.

When I first started up it was idling around 1.5k and hunting, so thought I had fixed it. :(

RenaultSport 172
Mine started doing this... new throttle cable, £18 sorted the issue :)

You could also try re-adjusting your original first

Or clean the ICV

:)

I've got a new cable in the garage so may replace it, not a job I fancy though.

Is the ICV the thing on the side of the TB? How would I clean it?

53 Clio's & counting
cable is a bit of an arse, i have written a guide on changing it so let me know if you need it mate.

The ICV is the thing on the inlet by the TB, has the pipe off the bottom of it that goes into the inlet elbow.

Two 10mm bolts removes it and a quick blast out with carb cleaner cleans it

RenaultSport 172
Ok guys.

I've cleaned out the ICV refitted, no difference. I've taken the filter and elbow off to see what position the butterfly is in and pressed on the butterfly to make sure it is shut, no difference.

I'm not sure how to adjust the throttle cable but it does seem slack.
Also I've not fitted a new gasket with the throttle body would this make "that" much difference?

RenaultSport 172
When you push the the valve in the ICV is it supposed to go back to it's original position?

RenaultSport 172
Hello!!!!??!!!

I've just refitted the ICV after pushing the thing inside it all the way up and now the car is idling at like 4k!!!! PMSL!!!

Is the ICV supposed to go back to normal after the valve being pushed in? Or have I fucked it?

53 Clio's & counting
Its supposed to go back, at least thats what it did with me! lol

when its running tap the top with a hammer mate, this also worked for me, in fact i still have a hammer in the back of my seat due to having to do this lol

53 Clio's & counting
I think the sticking throttle was the TB, and the high idle i think sounds like your ICV mate, try tapping it with a hammer, not hard, but it helped mine

RenaultSport 172
I wanna paint my inlets and cam cover anyway so I'll order up a set of gaskets too.

I'll update when I fix it.

53 Clio's & counting
You can get just the valve off Ebay cheap mate, then you have to drill out the rivets out and bolt it to the housing as such

PH1 172 Sport
You can get just the valve off Ebay cheap mate, then you have to drill out the rivets out and bolt it to the housing as such

This is what I did as it saved allot of money. I could buy 3 ICV off ebay for the price of a Renault one. You can get the same make as the one Renault use as well.

RenaultSport 172
I've fixed it!!!!!!

I didn't really need a new ICV, nevermind..

I fitted the new ICV and it was sitll idling @ 4k, so removed pulled the valve all the way down and refitted. It was just stalling then.

So i've spent the best part of an hour pushing the valve up and down and refitting the ICV so it is now idling perfect. :)

Cheers for everyones help. :)

CLIO PH1 172
glad you sorted it!

when i first fited my new icv it idled really high aroun 4000/5000.... turned car off - on again and idled perfect! not sure if it needed to be kind of reset ? works perfect anyway soo...

RenaultSport 172
God knows I fitted it, it idled at 4k. Took it off played with it and then it idled fine. (after alot of playing about )

RenaultSport 172
If it was a non genuine valve then it would have had to have been set to work properly

Nope its a genuine Renault part, cost me £65 too.
Couldn't be arsed to wait days for one to turn up from ebay then drill out the rivets etc etc.