ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 Second Test: Straight Line. (Long read)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I've owned the Ph1 172 for almost two months now and I've been getting used to the extra power/grip etc compared to my 1.2 (which I had for four years).

After going to Cumbria last weekend, where the clio got a vigorous test in "the twisties" and with general B road driving, last night me and four friends went to a certain part of essex to give our cars a good test in a straight line.

Now before I go any further I'd like to elaborate that we are by no means idiot boy racers and chose the road and took the amount of cars we did for a reason. The road in question has no houses, a resovior on one side and a field on the other, and is just over a mile of perfectly straight road.

All of these "tests" were performed with one car at one end, one at the other and the two "testies" (lol) in the middle, a quick flash of each cars lights so we knew it was empty and off we went.

Now, the cars:

• 106 Gti with full magnex system and piperx induction setup
  • Golf Mk IV GTI 1.8T 180
  • Seat Leon Cupra R - Modded to approx. 265 bhp
  • Ph1 172, Longlife exhaust, FK SilverlineX coilies, JMS induction kit (F**KING EPIC)
I had a go against each car, each time having 0 passengers (swaping the one poor mate without a car about (lol)) standing start, and off we went.

On all three cars, the clio (on very warm eagle f1's) took the lead very easily, against the 106 and the Golf, neither could catch up at all, pulling away progressively in every gear until it was time to brake, against the Leon, where I was the most suprised, I had him until the top of second, by the middle of third we were level, then he took me, safe to say he was more than suprised too though!!!

Now I know I can't account for driver error etc, but all of us are fair drivers, none of us pro's by any means.

All in all, I wanted the Ph1 more as a car to shoot around B roads than for straight line speed, but I was VERY impressed with what the car had to offer, in first and second gear the rate at which it accelerates is truely epic!

Before you preach etc, the only people who were going to get hurt were those in the cars, and maybe a fence post or a couple of fish :rolleyes:

Cheers for reading it all, if you bothered ;)

Fiesta ST Stage 3
thought that the 106 gti would be a bit closer i have had one and it was not that far behind the 172 ?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
TBH so did I, it seems I'm quite good at starting, that may help, but my friend's an equal or better driver than I am, it just seemed that at the top end of every gear I pulled a further and further, against another 172 though on a very short stint, mine did seem to have the legs, so maybe mine's a "quick one"?

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there was one comment that was repeated time after time....

"My god your car is LOUD" and "Sounds goooood"

LOL!

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Well it is a PH Quick ;)

TBH so did I, it seems I'm quite good at starting, that may help, but my friend's an equal or better driver than I am, it just seemed that at the top end of every gear I pulled a further and further, against another 172 though on a very short stint, mine did seem to have the legs, so maybe mine's a "quick one"?

Oh, and I forgot to mention, there was one comment that was repeated time after time....

"My god your car is LOUD" and "Sounds goooood"

LOL!

Clio 1970000000
I have driven an Audi TT cab with 265bhp and it was quick (and probably a lot heavier than the LCR) but not that quick. It had a very narrow power band (was not a great map IMO). Still I'm surprised that you did so well against it.

Good read by the way.

Iceberg Ph1
God dam street racers! :rasp:

Good read though fella, guessing by this I assume your love for the Ph1 is growing even stronger ;)

Mini Cooper S
Now before I go any further I'd like to elaborate that we are by no means idiot boy racers and chose the road and took the amount of cars we did for a reason. The road in question has no houses, a resovior on one side and a field on the other, and is just over a mile of perfectly straight road.

All of these "tests" were performed with one car at one end, one at the other and the two "testies" (lol) in the middle, a quick flash of each cars lights so we knew it was empty and off we went.

Find another way home pizza boy! Roads closed!

Nice read ;)

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I have driven an Audi TT cab with 265bhp and it was quick (and probably a lot heavier than the LCR) but not that quick. It had a very narrow power band (was not a great map IMO). Still I'm surprised that you did so well against it.

Good read by the way.

Cheers, tbh I was seriously suprised that I did as well as I did against the LCR, and at the other end when we stopped he was a bit "wtf" lol!

Nice efforts, may I enquire as to wherebouts?lol

Click me! ;)

Or me!

I do not condone what you intend to do down there. (and don't hang about for hours ;))

Were you down hanningfield by any chance?

Got it in one sir, know it well? Aparently there's similar but better in Colchester (or so my boss has just told me)

Find another way home pizza boy! Roads closed!

Nice read ;)

Was waiting for that to start, but if you're going to do it, do it properly, IMO ;)

Corsa Van. Meh.
Know it pretty well, I only live 5 mins round the corner from there in Billericay.

Matt

Fiesta ST Stage 3
Well i Doesn’t matter if you won by an inch or a mile . Winnings winning :D

Cheers, tbh I was seriously suprised that I did as well as I did against the LCR, and at the other end when we stopped he was a bit "wtf" lol!

Click me! ;)

Or me!

I do not condone what you intend to do down there. (and don't hang about for hours ;))

Got it in one sir, know it well? Aparently there's similar but better in Colchester (or so my boss has just told me)

Was waiting for that to start, but if you're going to do it, do it properly, IMO ;)

Scrooge

ClioSport Moderator
  E55 AMG
Yes i know that place well, can see why you picked it. i was working up near rettendon common for a while so went down there a few time in the works kangoo.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
Yes i know that place well, can see why you picked it. i was working up near rettendon common for a while so went down there a few time in the works kangoo.

Ah right, not taken the Clio down there then? ;)

Its probably the best place for something like this in a fair few miles tbh, although I realise still not advisable, but at least we thought about what we was doing. (kinda)

more powah

I wish! Need your ITB's! (Woulda had the leon then)

MCS R56
Sounds like a good wee test.

Four nice cars that all have different characteristics and plus points. That sounds like the Clio's environment, so I would expect it to compete pretty well against the others - power doesn't always count for much on these roads. The 106 would no doubt have been a hoot to boot too, probably less so, the Golf and LCR.

Nice write up.

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
lol not so sure about that they're pretty quick, on paper maybe

Oh it would have, trust me ;), I really wasn't that far behind even when he took me.

Sounds like a good wee test.

Four nice cars that all have different characteristics and plus points. That sounds like the Clio's environment, so I would expect it to compete pretty well against the others - power doesn't always count for much on these roads. The 106 would no doubt have been a hoot to boot too, probably less so, the Golf and LCR.

Nice write up.

Cheers, yeah it was quite an interesting line up, we all love our cars so decided that we'd all get different hot hatches. (Although the mate with the 106 now wants a Clio, bad!)

TBH I thought it was more the teritory of the VAG lumps (straight line speed), with a nice twisty road being the Clio/106 country.

Got to admit, the Clio even scared me a bit, my mate in the LCR said he couldn't hear anything above my exhaust until he passed me, lol :eek:

The 106 is a lovely little motor, awesome to drive, between it and the Golf, its a similar situation to me and the LCR