ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 looks

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Hi all i need a bit of help here. Looking to get a 172 later this year but i just cannot decide between the phase 1 and phase 2. I used to own a cup which in my opinion is the best looking of the lot but with a budget of around 3-4k a decent cup is out of the question and a phase 1 seems like the best choice.
I cannot help thinking that the phase 2 just looks better and more modern though and i simply cannot decide whether to get a decent ph1 or a bit of a sh*tty ph2 with more miles on just for the exterior looks of the thing, so please give me your opinions and make the decision for me lol.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Tough one. I think the phase 1 looks sportier but thinking the phase 2's design seems more modern so I'd pick that. Think interior is better as well.

As for conditions, if the phase 1 is in much better nick, then I'd pick that over a tatty phase 2.

Sorry if this was no help at all lol its hard to judge.

Ph1 vs Ph2... Everyone knows which I prefer, but these should help you decide.

sport4Large.jpg

IMG_1047.gif

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
PH1.
The ph2 172's does look more up to date however looks very much like a 1.2's etc to most people imo.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Ph1 definitely looks more aggressive and sporty and i agree that the ph2 looks a little standard. Gonna be a tough decision but i think im better off getting a good ph1 with my monies.

Ph1 definitely looks more aggressive and sporty and i agree that the ph2 looks a little standard. Gonna be a tough decision but i think im better off getting a good ph1 with my monies.

wise decision. I regret getting rid of mine.

They're becoming hard to find, but get a 2001 Ph1 with circa 50k on the clock and service history (including belts) and you're onto a winner!

in fact, just track down Y697 HWE :D

Chocolate Bar™
i was in the same situation as you last year, and opted for the ph1. I love the rarity value of them, I barely see any others on the road. Also spoken to a few people who have owned both, and say the 172 ph1 is a much more raw and sporty drive. I didnt like the rear much on mine, so i changed it! best of both worlds imo.

yellowsub3-1.jpg

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Middo that looks lovely in yellow. Think i might just get a ph1 and fit ph2 rear bumper and side strips if im not too keen on the looks. Probably wont be arsed once i have it though as long as it gets close to my cup in terms of speed, handling and fun then im sure i'll be happy!

LY V6 with Recaros
I think the ph2 looks more modern, and I prefer the rear bumpers on them. But I think from the front view the ph1s look very sporty. Middos is the perfect combination for a ph1 imo!

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
Middo that looks lovely in yellow. Think i might just get a ph1 and fit ph2 rear bumper and side strips if im not too keen on the looks. Probably wont be arsed once i have it though as long as it gets close to my cup in terms of speed, handling and fun then im sure i'll be happy!

I decent set of suspension set-up & some good break pads will sort the handling & braking.
Engine mod wise - Cat-back - panel filter - inlet matched - RS tuning remap. best mods to do for little budget.

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
i was in the same situation 18 months ago and bought a ph1... always felt like i had the cheap 172 sold it and got a ph2

but on that budget i wouldnt even think about getting a ph2 as it will be tahsed.. ph1s are very cheap now tho

Clio F1 R27
Phase 1 looks really dated. Try and get a phase 2. Xenon lights, colour coded, bigger wheels and still looks upto date now.

Chocolate Bar™
I think the ph2 looks more modern, and I prefer the rear bumpers on them. But I think from the front view the ph1s look very sporty. Middos is the perfect combination for a ph1 imo!

cheers deb!

The ph1 will be a lot closer to your cup speed wise than the ph2

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
also when you look back years & years down the line, the ph1 will be the more exclusive remembered one out of the 172/182 models imo.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
its not everyday day maybe even month you see a ph1 which i why i love mine over the ph2. i get looks of looks in the ph1 aswell coz not many people have seen them round. ph1 is faster aswell. touch decison though but i tink i made the right one! plus youd get a low milage ph1 for 3-4k but a high milage ph2

VaVa
I see plenty. I love the way ph1 owners make out they're really rare. They made 1300 of them! lol

Tbh, with few exceptions, the only reason you'd buy a ph1 over a ph2 would be financial.

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
well im lucky if i se one a month yet i see around 3-4 ph2s a day

Black R26, Iceburg 172
If my budget was a little higher there is no doubt i would get another cup but seeing as its not i think a ph1 is the way to go. I have only ever seen one in the flesh so i would say that are much rarer than the rest of the sports! I see FF's and 182's all the time but never ph1's.

VaVa
Of course you do because they built more ph2's as they were for sale for much longer! The ph1 is rarer!

It's the people who try and make out that there are like 50 of them and that they're really exclusive that I just don't get. Feel the need to defend their purchase I guess.

Chocolate Bar™
I see plenty. I love the way ph1 owners make out they're really rare. They made 1300 of them! lol

Tbh, with few exceptions, the only reason you'd buy a ph1 over a ph2 would be financial.

1300 compared to the 7000 ph2s there are. Thats without 182s which look almost the same.

So in comparison, yes they are rare. You must just be lucky. To be honest mate, sounds like your the one constantly defending your purchase....

VaVa
I've said they're rare, relatively speaking. It's the "I never see them on the road" bullshit I don't buy. Try reading the whole thrad instead of jumping in to defend your car at the first sign somebody might actually disagree with your taste!

There were 3000 odd ph2 172.... 5500 if you count cups. Guess I'm cursed at seeing the dumb little faces everywhere :(

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Ph 1 = ph-ugly

Ph2 Cup FTW. The phase 1 look all 'bulbus' and frog eyed imo.

DSC00873.jpg

cup1206023-1.jpg

cup1206008.jpg

;)

Last edited:
  Scirocco GT 210
The ph1 172 stands out from the rest of the ph1 range, the ph2 172 doesn't as much - it looks like a 1.2 until you're right up close.

Although saying that, and despite being a ph1 owner, I do prefer the looks of the ph2 overall. Ph1 is looking very dated now (well so is the ph2 IMO but it's nowhere near as bad).

Jon.L

ClioSport Club Member
  911 GT3 & Audi Q8
P300308_1529.jpg

P300308_1528.jpg

love to no how that is ugly lol apart from the f1s but there being refurbed in few weeks. we must remmeber where the ph 2 gets its shape from! although i have to agree the back bumper and rear lights are better on ph2 so lucky i have the lights and gettin the bumper :p