ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 looks

Chocolate Bar™

I urge you to show me where it says there were 4500 ph2 172's built.

Ooo nice edit. I think I've made my point lol.

ok fair enough, still 5500 172 ph2s INCLUDING cups, not 3000 like you said.

Think the only people who can really comment are those who've owned both like fubar. End of the day we all chose our cars for our own reasons, and i'm happy with mine.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
I think what people are trying to say is there are alot less Ph1's compared to the different shape of the ph2 172's, 172 cups and 182's. Making them more rare as the other all look pretty similar really.

Chocolate Bar™
I think what people are trying to say is there are alot less Ph1's compared to the different shape of the ph2 172's, 172 cups and 182's. Making them more rare as the other all look pretty similar really.

Exactly :)

As said upto you really, but i've not regretted my decision, had no real issues with it despite it being an older car, which was my initial concern

forgetting about the looks, there's a strong case that the Ph1 is the better drivers car.
Improved throttle, weight, induction and wheels!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Hmmmm give me a 172 Cup any day. Only thing it lacks on the above is tbw.

Ignoring technical differences I get more looks and comments in the Cup than I did with my RS-1.

Nuff said.

Mind you, I'd have another tomorrow if it meant keeping both :)

Chocolate Bar™
aye think the moral of this story is cups are the best out of all the RS range! Never driven one, but i can imagine they're a really good compromise.

Black R26, Iceburg 172
forgetting about the looks, there's a strong case that the Ph1 is the better drivers car.
Improved throttle, weight, induction and wheels!

This is exactly why i think its the better option for me coming from a cup. The only thing that is holding me back is the fact that im not too sure on the looks but i think i can ignore that if it means i can get a mint ph1 which will drive better than the ph2.

VaVa
I urge you to show me where it says there were 4500 ph2 172's built.

Ooo nice edit. I think I've made my point lol.

Think the only people who can really comment are those who've owned both like fubar. End of the day we all chose our cars for our own reasons, and i'm happy with mine.

Without getting too pedantic, I never said there were 3000 including Cups. You're just on the defensive.

And as for the drivers car comments.... sure the ph2 is heavier.. but what about the stiffer suspension? Shorter gear ratios?

One thing we're all agreed on is ph2 172 Cup FTW tbh.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Standard PH2 172's are a bit soft in standard form. Hense the introduction of the Cup :)

VaVa
The ph1's are softer... but deemed 'more fun' by some as a result.

Horses for courses! Ultimately when we're done splitting hairs they're all cracking cars!

Chocolate Bar™

Without getting too pedantic, I never said there were 3000 including Cups. You're just on the defensive.

And as for the drivers car comments.... sure the ph2 is heavier.. but what about the stiffer suspension? Shorter gear ratios?

One thing we're all agreed on is ph2 172 Cup FTW tbh.

no, but you did say there were only 3000 ph2 172s, and imo that includes cups as they look the same to the untrained eye.

If you speak to someone like fred who has driven both on numerous occasions, the suspension on the ph1 172 is spot on compared to the ph2. Mine actually drove as well on standard suspension as it does on 650 quids worth of coilovers.

If you want the toys and the comfort get the ph2, if your not bothered by that get the ph1 imo. The interior is also alot nicer on the ph2 granted

VaVa
LOL, with all due respect to Fred, I made my own mind up about the drive thanks.

Untrained eye. FFS. You were wrong. Get over it.

Chocolate Bar™
how was I wrong?! the cup is a ph2 172!

I have no idea why your getting so defensive about it, as said millions of times its personal preference, both cars have their plus points. you chose a ph2 for your reasons, I chose a ph1 for mine, end of

VaVa
Come on mate. You know as well as I do that the two aren't put together like that. Ever.

I'm getting defensive because that isn't what I said.

I've said they're rare, relatively speaking. It's the "I never see them on the road" bulls**t I don't buy. Try reading the whole thrad instead of jumping in to defend your car at the first sign somebody might actually disagree with your taste!

There were 3000 odd ph2 172.... 5500 if you count cups. Guess I'm cursed at seeing the dumb little faces everywhere :(

As I said. Buy any RS Clio and you've got a good car.

Evo 6, E92 320d
My Ph1 in Monaco:D (now with refurbed f1's back on)
CRIM0018.gif

Black R26, Iceburg 172
Yeah i made my decision long ago before sitting back and admiring the argument that unfolded lol. Ph1 it is but not until later in the year which means i have to make do with my crappy Peugeot 207 company car till then :(

After my cup this compay car has been a massive dissapointment and despite me not having to pay a penny for it i simply have to get another clio again!

PH1 172 Sport
Was in the same position just before christmas ie. Do I get a good PH1 or a higher mileage probably worse condition PH2.

I drove both and decided that although the PH2 has a nicer interior the PH1 was the more sensible choice.

Plus in my eyes the less there is to go wrong on a french car the better and the PH2 has more electronic things to go wrong!! I like the looks of both cars and both are great drives.

The PH1 has a far more classic and agressive look about it and as said the PH2 is far more modern.

Most people do not realise what these cars are but its far more easier to suss out what the PH1 is from the front. Just get the best car for your budget and then go out and enjoy :)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I see plenty. I love the way ph1 owners make out they're really rare. They made 1300 of them! lol

Tbh, with few exceptions, the only reason you'd buy a ph1 over a ph2 would be financial.

Im the exception!

Could have easily bought (another) ph2 with the money I spent on my ph1 but having had both I prefer the ph1 by far.

So much more fun to drive, better wheels, just generally more fun. Dont want fecking auto wipers but do admit the dash is a bit, well, old!

Oh and only 60 of mine were made and 30 of Middos so stick that in your pipe and smoke it Laingo ;) xx

Last edited:
  Chocolate Bar™
having ha both id go for a ph2 everytime now..

because shes a girl who cant cope with a real car *runs and hides*

ah he had big plans for that car as well, didnt think i'd seen him on here for a while

RB 182 Special.
I personally much prefer the phase 2. I do appreciate the phase 1, but cannot understand how anyone could think it looks more aggressive than the later cars, with its twee little bug eyes. There's purpose about it's aesthetics, yes, but they're much less overt than the phase 2.

At the end of the day though, all of these comments are subjective, so while we may bring points to light that you previously hadn't thought of, the final decision should be purely yours, and not swayed by anyone's opinions on here.

You should get more for your money with a phase 1, but you'd be surprised by phase 2s in your price range. My cousin recently bought a Cup for under £4k and its a very tidy motor.

Good luck choosing, they're both great cars. :D

Car SOLD :-(
If u can live with the smurf dash - ph1 and make it a ph 1.5 (ph2 rear bumper, bump strips, c/c handles, cup spoiler). Love the look of mine now.

I'm a complete commoner compaired to John and Middo, 1 of 99 Iceburg Ph 1's.:eek:

Stefan is just pissed cos he didn't buy a real cup - he just faked one :p

Awaits comeback for putting a PH2 bumper on a ph1...

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
I see plenty. I love the way ph1 owners make out they're really rare. They made 1300 of them! lol

Tbh, with few exceptions, the only reason you'd buy a ph1 over a ph2 would be financial.

your just bitter you got the slowest clio sport ;)

I'd have a Ph2 now having had a Ph1, but I do prefer the looks of the Ph1. I dont dislike the ph2, but it looks softer, but still, I'd deffo have one over the ph1 because A) I've got one and a change is always nice and B) the ph1 interior is absolutely f**king gash! The ph2 looks much nicer, but the seats are still unsupportive and s**t for an RS badged car. Williams still has the best interior, miles comfier if your a non midget.

Just for the record, if I did get a ph2 I'd have to mod it due to the weight and suspension point is mute, as neither the Ph1 or Ph2 inspire me with any confidence after having properly setup coilovers... f**k it, put the money as a deposit on an R27 and get yourself into debt, it's the best of the RS' in nearly every respect bar possibly straight line speed... easily sorted though.