ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 vs Ph2

VaVa
Ph1 looks dated, interior is dated and f**king horrible. Performance diference is nothing - difference in weight is cancelled out slightly by the gearing. Ph2 has climate, xenons etc.

There is no clear cut answer and it's entirely personal choice. Some people say the ph1 looks aggresive - To me it looks like some kind of bubbly faced frog. Rear end of ph2 is nicer imho

I have nothing against ph1's - I just bought the newest version at the time as I wanted a new car.

i would buy a Ph2... and this is coming from a big Ph1 fan, and owner.

my reason:
They are newer. All Ph1's are over 6 years old now and parts are wearing out. My money would be on a 53reg 172, with cruise control and low miles. Price should be around 6k :)

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member
Swapping the lovely 15 inch OZ alloys for nasty Dynamique looking 16s? :) No way!

I went for the P1 after driving them, the interior isn't as nice but I kind of like the exterior better.

Tyres are lots cheaper too :)

BMW 330D
ph2 for me
i just prefer them no offence to ph1 owners i dont know i just dont like the look of them inside and out

VaVa
Swapping the lovely 15 inch OZ alloys for nasty Dynamique looking 16s? :) No way!

I went for the P1 after driving them, the interior isn't as nice but I kind of like the exterior better.

The 15" version of the 172 wheels were introduced on the dynamique way after the 172. Although that's the main reason why I swapped mine. lol.

Mountune Tractor
neither car is particularly comfy imo, the seats in the Mk2's are garbage when you compare them to say the Valver or Williams seats, which are very comfy and supportive.

as for gearing, no idea, but I hit 80mph in 2nd, 105mph 3rd, 130+ in 4th and 5th I dont dare try... though it has done 151mph on GPS :D

TB's would transform the car, could do it on either, but the weight on the Ph2 would be my main concern.

That's insane.

150mph does sound appealing.. I would've taken the piss 12 months ago, but even the DCi feels fine going through motorway curves at 120 so it's not that rediculous.

Ahh decisions decisions, I think I need to have a proper go in both, and decide how far I'd be willing to take it (TB, or not TB)..

Thats not insane mate, it is bullshit! 80mph in 2nd, that is the funniest thing I've heard for a long time. You can just about do that in an RS cosworth. :lolup:

Scirocco GT 210
That's insane.

150mph does sound appealing.. I would've taken the piss 12 months ago, but even the DCi feels fine going through motorway curves at 120 so it's not that rediculous.

Ahh decisions decisions, I think I need to have a proper go in both, and decide how far I'd be willing to take it (TB, or not TB)..

Thats not insane mate, it is bulls**t! 80mph in 2nd, that is the funniest thing I've heard for a long time. You can just about do that in an RS cosworth. :lolup:

:S

Why is it bull? If the limiter has been raised and/or gearing altered then it's easily possible. Why on earth do you find the idea funny? :S

ChrisR

ClioSport Club Member

The 15" version of the 172 wheels were introduced on the dynamique way after the 172.

Not fussed on the timing, just the fact that they are pretty much the same :)

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
That's insane.

Thats not insane mate, it is bulls**t! 80mph in 2nd, that is the funniest thing I've heard for a long time. You can just about do that in an RS cosworth. :lolup:

do you know the spec of the car?

Mountune Tractor

The original post was for a guy who couldn't choose between a ph 1 or ph 2, not which car can he do 80mph in 2nd gear. I just don't believe a standard ph 1 172 will do 80mph in 2nd. If it does then I am wrong and will accept it.:rasp:

VaVa
The 15" version of the 172 wheels were introduced on the dynamique way after the 172.

Not fussed on the timing, just the fact that they are pretty much the same :)

Me too, hence why I bought Turinis. (before it became so much of a faux pas lol)

I'd rather buy a ph2 and change the wheels than buy a ph1. Like I said, I really don't think there is a better car - It's just preference and more usually budget which dictate what you get. There hasn't been a bad Renaultpsort car imho. :)

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6

The original post was for a guy who couldn't choose between a ph 1 or ph 2, not which car can he do 80mph in 2nd gear. I just don't believe a standard ph 1 172 will do 80mph in 2nd. If it does then I am wrong and will accept it.:rasp:

i couldnt give a rat's arse cheeks what it can do, wouldnt affect my life one bit. but im sure it wouldnt be far of those figues his stated. i given my thoughts about the oringal post.

Mountune Tractor

i couldnt give a rat's arse cheeks what it can do, wouldnt affect my life one bit. but im sure it wouldnt be far of those figues his stated. i given my thoughts about the oringal post.

:lolup: rats arse cheeks, lol.
I'm going to have to take my ph 2 172 for a spin this afternoon and rag the tits out of it, lol.

I like all clio's - as not the offend the 'you're car is s**t mine is fantatsic' numbnuts who've posted on here!

I've got a phase-1 I think it looks good and i like driving it. My GF has a 182, i think it looks good and i like driving it.

I prefer the front of the ph-1, its easily more recognisable as a 172 than the ph-2 but i prefer the interior and arse end of the ph-2.

There's hardly any difference in performance.

I cant believe so many people profess to hate a car thats extremely similar to theirs! :rolleyes:

Just throw away your fake hate and FEEL THE LOVE :cheers:

serman over.

Mountune Tractor
I like all clio's - as not the offend the 'you're car is s**t mine is fantatsic' numbnuts who've posted on here!

I've got a phase-1 I think it looks good and i like driving it. My GF has a 182, i think it looks good and i like driving it.

I prefer the front of the ph-1, its easily more recognisable as a 172 than the ph-2 but i prefer the interior and arse end of the ph-2.

I cant believe so many people profess to hate a car thats extremely similar to theirs! :rolleyes:

serman over.

Neither of us said we don't like either car!!!:nono: I got a ph 2 and I don't hate the ph 1 at all, i nearly bought one!:race:

serman over.

Neither of us said we don't like either car!!!:nono: I got a ph 2 and I don't hate the ph 1 at all, i nearly bought one!:race:

read all the posts again

Chocolate Bar™
As said many times i dont see how people an say 'I f**king hate this on a ph 2 or i fuckin hate this on a ph1' at the end of the day they're not a million times different like some people are making out. Interiors different, but only very slightly, having owned a car with both interiors theres pros and cons to each. My ph1 rattles a damn site less than my mk 2 did, seats are personal prefernce, i personally prefer the coloured renaultsport logo on the ph1s though. I prefer the gearknob on the ph1 and obviously the steering wheel of the ph2.... and i could go on and on.

Engine wise, the ph1s lump is meant to be ade out of higher quality materials than the ph2, how true this is i dont know. It has a cable throttle and better induction which are all plus's but doesnt come with the toys like a ph2 does (however i f**king hated my automatic lights and wipers on my m2 anyway lol). As for it being an older car, mine still feels like new, the gearbox being much more sharp than the corsa i had with only 8k on it. So just see what you can pick up, personally i fancied a rarer car and loved the look of the ph1 so thats what i went for.

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6
As said many times i dont see how people an say 'I f**king hate this on a ph 2 or i f**kin hate this on a ph1' at the end of the day they're not a million times different like some people are making out. Interiors different, but only very slightly, having owned a car with both interiors theres pros and cons to each. My ph1 rattles a damn site less than my mk 2 did, seats are personal prefernce, i personally prefer the coloured renaultsport logo on the ph1s though. I prefer the gearknob on the ph1 and obviously the steering wheel of the ph2.... and i could go on and on.

Engine wise, the ph1s lump is meant to be ade out of higher quality materials than the ph2, how true this is i dont know. It has a cable throttle and better induction which are all plus's but doesnt come with the toys like a ph2 does (however i f**king hated my automatic lights and wipers on my m2 anyway lol). As for it being an older car, mine still feels like new, the gearbox being much more sharp than the corsa i had with only 8k on it. So just see what you can pick up, personally i fancied a rarer car and loved the look of the ph1 so thats what i went for.

well said mate.

Scirocco GT 210
My ph1 rattles a damn site less than my mk 2 did

Fook me, those ph2s must be shocking then. lol

My car rattles more than my gf's 14 year old 1.2 clio! Takes the piss :dapprove: Very reliable though, just doesn't sound it!

As for ph1 vs ph2. I bought a ph1 because I couldn't afford a ph2, at first I was a touch gutted about not being able to get a ph2. But, after owning a ph1 for so long, I'm extremely happy with it. :D No longer feel bad about not being able to get a ph2.

Audi TT 225
Forgetting the looks for a moment which you all seem to be hanging on.

With a Ph1 you get
Propper throttle cable
No traction control :D
NA cylinder head with larger exhaust ports
4-1 manifold
Its lighter than a mk2
Less electrical toys to go wrong lol

Ph2
Cruise control
turbo based cylinder head which has smaller ports iirc
ESP
Electro throttle body
You can use the 182 4-2-1 manifold
Different gear ratio's to make up for its extra weight

If you can live with the gash interior then go ph1!
If all you care about is looks get the ph2

Ph2, it's never, looks a lot better, much better interior.

According to the Ph-quick boys the Ph1 is faster, but we're talking bugger all difference on a road.
I'm sure that wouldn't bother him, he'll probably whack a diesel in anyway to make it faster ;)

I bought the ph2 because it has a better equipment spec (I like my comforts and gadgets) and it has a better looking front-end. The ph1 is quite ugly imo (I could afford to buy a ph1 v6 if I wanted too, but I'll wait for the ph2s to come down in price 'cause I can't stand the lights and general front-end look of the ph1).

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Forgetting the looks for a moment which you all seem to be hanging on.

With a Ph1 you get
Propper throttle cable
No traction control :D
NA cylinder head with larger exhaust ports
4-1 manifold
Its lighter than a mk2
Less electrical toys to go wrong lol no (renault) auto wipers and no stupid windscreen are big plusses in my book

Ph2
Cruise control
turbo based cylinder head which has smaller ports iirc
ESP
Electro throttle body
You can use the 182 4-2-1 manifold can you not use that on the Ph1 ?
Different gear ratio's to make up for its extra weight

If you can live with the gash interior then go ph1!
If all you care about is looks get the ph2

As others have pointed out, the Ph2 is hardly the pinnacle of design, it's s**t, looks s**t and feels s**t.

I think the Ph1 would be better for me atm, don't need creature comforts, if that's what you call auto wipers/locks/lights.

Will probably end up getting stripped anyway so doesn't really matter. Going to try and find some examples to test this week, and from there look for a good one.

53 Clio's & counting
id say drive a few examples of each mate and take it from there,my ph1 i like,but i used to prefere the ph2 lot more,the ph1s just grown on me

Mountune Tractor
As others have pointed out, the Ph2 is hardly the pinnacle of design, it's s**t, looks s**t and feels s**t.

I think the Ph1 would be better for me atm, don't need creature comforts, if that's what you call auto wipers/locks/lights.

Will probably end up getting stripped anyway so doesn't really matter. Going to try and find some examples to test this week, and from there look for a good one.[/quote]

We don't need stupid comments like this on the forum thanks. If the ph 2 is as bad as you think it is then I'm sorry mate but it's almost identical to a ph 1 so according to you which ever one you buy, you will be buying a s**t car. And why the hell did you start this thread if your going to strip the car down?? What a loser. Why don't you just buy a rover and go on there forum.

BMW M4; S1000 RR

Will probably end up getting stripped anyway so doesn't really matter. Going to try and find some examples to test this week, and from there look for a good one.

We don't need stupid comments like this on the forum thanks. If the ph 2 is as bad as you think it is then I'm sorry mate but it's almost identical to a ph 1 so according to you which ever one you buy, you will be buying a s**t car. And why the hell did you start this thread if your going to strip the car down?? Because I'm not a homo that needs the most girly car What a loser. Why don't you just buy a rover and go on there forum.[/quote]

Where did you come from??

Pipe down alright, everyone has their opinion, I'm sure if most people on here are being honest, they've seen nice upholsteries in an ikea store. I will be buying a s**t car, but as long as it's nippy I'm not too fussed right now.

My primary concern was whether the Ph2 has a superior suspension/track setup. And subsequently how easy it would be for me to pickup a Ph1. Everyone within 50 miles of me has lexus lights and a massive backbox... Still I suppose I could use that as a pivot to bargain off (I will have to spend money to make it standard).

I think I have gathered what I need to, and will start looking next weekend, and get my car prepped for selling.

Ph-Sold!
Might be worth looking a little further afield, I live in Lancing and had to travel to Southampton for my ph1.

Also, avoid the X blue ph1 at Circle Garage, a friend on mine used to own it and it's got so many issues!

Elise,Pum,WRX,MCS,R6

We don't need stupid comments like this on the forum thanks. If the ph 2 is as bad as you think it is then I'm sorry mate but it's almost identical to a ph 1 so according to you which ever one you buy, you will be buying a s**t car. And why the hell did you start this thread if your going to strip the car down?? Because I'm not a homo that needs the most girly car What a loser. Why don't you just buy a rover and go on there forum.

Where did you come from??

Pipe down alright, everyone has their opinion, I'm sure if most people on here are being honest, they've seen nice upholsteries in an ikea store. I will be buying a s**t car, but as long as it's nippy I'm not too fussed right now.

My primary concern was whether the Ph2 has a superior suspension/track setup. And subsequently how easy it would be for me to pickup a Ph1. Everyone within 50 miles of me has lexus lights and a massive backbox... Still I suppose I could use that as a pivot to bargain off (I will have to spend money to make it standard).

I think I have gathered what I need to, and will start looking next weekend, and get my car prepped for selling.[/quote]

why is it a s**t car mate?
i think for value for money its great, got all the toys i need.