ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

ph2 172 or golf gttdi 115 bhp?

mk4 golf gttdi
I work for skoda and I have a 70 mile round trip, and sold my 172 to fund a diesel golf gttdi. Had it 1 month and had to replace cam belt pump and tensioner along with head gasket, £800 later all bushes need replacing!

So question is what miles do you get out of a tank from a 172? Currently spend around 40-50 per week in the golf. And expecting a little one soon

Have been offered my clio back for my golf. All I remember of the clios mpg was 350 miles to 3/4 of the tank.

Cheers

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
For the comfort alone, i'd rather do 70 miles a day in a mk4 golf. Doing that in a 172 would get on my tits after a while.

RB 182 cup
Look at mpg. Ignore miles per tank, its harder to quantify.
I drive my 172 through doncaster, up the m18 and into sheffield for uni. Like an angel I get 41mpg. Ususlly 38mpg, around town 35mpg.
My mk5 zetec s did about 44/41/39. My vtr used to do 50/46/44
Thats tripping it at the pump and then filling it and working it out on my phone calculator.

The saxo was an awesome commuter. The vag stuff isnt as reliable as the rep would have you believe.

mk4 golf gttdi
I am just sick to death of wasting money on the golf now absolute money pit haha but it is top spec full heated leathers ect. But fancy some performance but need too be sensible.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
If you work for Skoda, you're supposed to know what you're doing with cars. Why did you buy a nail??

mk4 golf gttdi
Because I was a prat and needed a car to get to work In and it was close to me and seemed to be a good car and was until it was mapped to much and blew head gasked into water galleries causing it to preasure the cooling system and loosing all water. And for the bushes I drive over some seriously rough road o the moor top so my fault really.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
So you say 'I'm fed up of spending money on the golf' but what that really means is 'I've mapped an old car with loads of miles and drove it like a bellend and it blew up. Then I smashed it up and down some country lanes and ripped the axle bushes out'.

​It's hardly the cars fault is it mate!

Astra GSI, 172, Golf
I have both (172& gttdi 130)

pro
I love the Clio it's loads of fun to drive and fairly comfortable. Avg's 35mpg so reasonable costs. Hid's are great. Audio controls on S-wheel.
Cons
Seem to be high revving for 70mph+ long drives a 6th gear would be nice. No decent cup holders in front.

Golf
Pro's
Like an armchair compared to Clio. Very nice to drive and lots of low down torque from the pd engine. Good cup holders, arm rest ( every car needs one) . Low running costs and remaps give great gains for little cost.

Con's
Heavy and doesn't seem to sit to road as well, although it was never meant to. Older ones can have a few faults main to check for. Waterpump failure , aux belt +tensioner pulley rattle/wobble . Main cooling fan's often broke. Boost pipe's coming undone ( shite clips +fittings ) . Cam wear on the pd150 models.

If all the above are fine then the golfs a great car and can be plenty of fun to, just make sure it's been looked after previously otherwise it may cost you In the long run.

mk4 golf gttdi
I have both (172& gttdi 130)

pro
I love the Clio it's loads of fun to drive and fairly comfortable. Avg's 35mpg so reasonable costs. Hid's are great. Audio controls on S-wheel.
Cons
Seem to be high revving for 70mph+ long drives a 6th gear would be nice. No decent cup holders in front.

Golf
Pro's
Like an armchair compared to Clio. Very nice to drive and lots of low down torque from the pd engine. Good cup holders, arm rest ( every car needs one) . Low running costs and remaps give great gains for little cost.

Con's
Heavy and doesn't seem to sit to road as well, although it was never meant to. Older ones can have a few faults main to check for. Waterpump failure , aux belt +tensioner pulley rattle/wobble . Main cooling fan's often broke. Boost pipe's coming undone ( s**te clips +fittings ) . Cam wear on the pd150 models.

If all the above are fine then the golfs a great car and can be plenty of fun to, just make sure it's been looked after previously otherwise it may cost you In the long run.

Agree with all you said. but I have decided to stick with the golf, simply for the comfort. looking into fitting some stiffer suspension and get the dodgy map sorted out. car had had new dual mass, new turbo,new clutch, gearbox refurb, cam belt, water pump, tensioner, head gasket and while head was off had all valve seats re ground and de-coked. all it needs now is strut top mounts control arm bushes and drop links, but may poly bush it. also looking at getting it terracleaned.

cheers