ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 172 cutting out.

Hi guys, I previously had a Clio 172 and loved it so I've just bought another. I had a bit of a problem with it though. When it's warmed up it can sometimes cut out when pulling up to a junction or such other times that the engine would normally drop to tickover revs. It starts again no bother but when it does it seams to run slightly rougher. I've also noticed that it happens more often if I've got some lock on the steering

I've had a look online and going by other posts I'm thinking it could be the speed sensor but wanted your opinion before doing anything

Also once the car cuts out and then I restart it the speedo doesn't work. The rest of the dash is fine eg revs etc it's just the speed which Im guessing to be directly related

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Cheers
Jim

TheEvilGiraffe

South East - Essex
ClioSport Area Rep
Idle control valve ? Weird one with the speedo though... Maybe new cable or sensor needed for the speedo and thats confusing the ECU ?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Is that just a case of remove it, clean it, stick it back in and hope that cures it?

Yes, it may cure it. Clean it with carburettor cleaner. I only cured this on my Ph1 172 by fitting a new ICV. The steering issue is caused by the sensor at the front of the engine bay on the power steering pipe (I mean the upper sensor that gets in the way when removing the oil filter). I've replaced mine recently (GSF were cheapest). I'd replace this first and see if it sorts it ok.

Excellent. Thanks for the advice. Rob669 were your symptoms exactly the same as mine eg cutting out at junctions and speedo not working?

172 Ph1/Scooby MY00
Not quite, cutting out at juncs - yes; but no speedo issues. The speedo is connected to the gearbox via a sensor. Check the lead is pushed in far enough first before doing anything else. If you look down the back of the engine below the throttle body you'll see it. You need a long 21 mm socket.

Right, I got a new icv and fitted it yesterday. At first it seamed to have fixed the problem, eg not cutting out at junctions, but once I got home after a short drive it happened again. Any ideas?

Oh and please forget the bit in my original question about the speedo not working because that only happened once and hasn't again

Cheers

Audi A3
i know this is an old topic but everyone says to do a search!

happening to me recently, cut out at junctions/lights, clutch down and starts again fine. seems though when ive started her back up the mpg,trip etc are all reset?

did you guys ever resolve your issues?