ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 172 help

Gutted.

Picked up a phase 1 172 yesterday from a local garage at 11am by 2pm today the car is fecked, only done 150 miles in it.

Driving down a road doing about 45 and all of a sudden bonnet flies open, bending bonnet and cracking the windscreen as well as a dent to the roof.

Pissed off doesn't cover it! So my questions are as follows, any help i'd appreciate very much.

Are the catches faulty? Why did it go when I has been doing 70 mph down the motorway to get on to the road i was on?
Do I have to tell insurance? Will I lose my no claims? ( No expert on insurance by any means)
Does the garage have any responsibility in this? Or do i have any rights to a refund?

If I have to pay for the repairs what am I looking at realistically for a new windscreen, new bonnet and dents in the roof being pulled?

As i say any help in this would be massively appreciated.

1) Not on Ph1's I don't think. Not 100% sure on that. There was a recall on them but I'm 95% sure it's only the Mk2 Ph2. It went due to extra wind.
2) If you want them to fix it, you'll have to tell the insurance. Yes, you'll lose your no-claims. And have to declare an accident for 5 years
3) No. No. You should check your vehicle is safe to drive before every journey.

225 Cup & Williams
There was a recall from renault about the bonnet catches have a search I'm sure there is a few threads about it.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
To be fair that is bad luck-

THe bonnet had a recall or inspection- under the bonnet should be a sticker on a little grid with a K4 box ticked or crossed- Ive checked over every one ive had-

You will need a new bonnet new windscreen & the creases in the roof removed if its dented-

Good luck with the garage paying for that- They may or may not know but its not the first thing a garage would check to be honest- may have just been a PX

Ive had it happen once- where I left the bonnet on catch- just screwed the bonnet

Steve

Right thanks guys. I popped down to the garage earlier but the boss wasn't there, so the salesman told me he would tell him to phone me in the morning. I don't hold out much hope but they have been perfect thus far, so maybe i'll get lucky.

Acording to my policy I can get my windscreen changed and pay the first £75 and it won't affect my no claims so that's a start at least!

Only just noticed the point of extra wind too. Makes sense its fairly windy today up here, and I was a t a fairly high altitude so there we go. Lesson learnt!

Another problem is now i managed to close the bonnet it wont open again!

Was the fault with the catch or the hook? ( If that makes sense)

Lionel Richie
nothing really, bit of corrosion, the main fault is down to people pushing the bonnet shut and not dropping it

Also there is no catch on the bonnet i was reassured this was normal but never come across that before?

Sorry guys, bit of a noob never had a clio of any type.

R-Sport.

ClioSport Club Member
  Mint 1*2's for sale-
Re: the dents in the roof-

you will need a dent man- they dont like doing roof dents as access is a PITA- they may to 'pull it'- that involves putting a small amount of glue on the paint & pulling out the dent
there always a risk of pulling the paint off-

Also with the bonnet you will have knackered the hinge- ( I did the same) if I remember when I had the new bonnet fitted the wings had to come off - altough probably fred or someone will be better equipped to do that

Steve

Thanks adie.

Yep steve bonnet hinges are knackered, theres a sort of "stopper" on the upper part to stop the bonnet going past the lower part of the hinge, it had gone past there so had to flag a van down for a pair of screwdrivers to force the hinge back past the other side (hard to explain).

Got fairly lucky with the van coming down the road, I was in the Yorkshire dales and the weather was closing in fast, wouldn't of fancied staying there too much longer.

Bonnet is shut fast now and doesnt budge even when I try to open it still, was a bit worrying driving back home.

Had a quote today of £900; from someone I know too. Absoloutley devestated to be honest I was expecting a third of that, but gonna have to pay it other wise I've pissed away the £1750 i spent on the car.

Another question here guys could really do with help here.

The company the guy works for is a Renault approved body shop he says he can do the catch it's self. So whats the best option?

- Let them do it, it'll be fine if they are approved.
- Let them do it but take it to a dealership to get it checked out
- Ask him to do the work but leave the standard catch as i wanna take it to the dealers to look at.

Money to be honest is no object, I want the car to be safe and their is no price on that.

- Let them do it, it'll be fine if they are approved.
- Let them do it but take it to a dealership to get it checked out
- Ask him to do the work but leave the standard catch as i wanna take it to the dealers to look at.

Money to be honest is no object, I want the car to be safe and their is no price on that.

well if you choose 3 there is a chance that it could pop on the way to renault

but i would choose number 3 myself.

when you get the car fixed by your man,ring renault,give them the VIN number and tell them you want to book it in to the the bonnet catch as it was recalled.

my local renault garage told me it would take 10/15 min to do

It's getting sorted as we speak. The guy I know is replacing the catch at no extra cost and im also booked in at Renault for early next week! Might actually get to start enjoying me car soon!