ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

phase 1 rear light bulb holder into phase 2 light

172 exclusive & 306 gti6
hi all , right iv bought some phase 2 lights for my phase 1 and was wonderin if the bulb holders out the phase 1 will fit into a phase 2 light units , i aint botherd about the way the sidelights will be at the top instead of the bottom any help would be good thanks :D

Mk2 Ph1 Clio Sport 1.4
Nope, it won't work, you'll need to use the pahse 2 lamp assembly holders and rewire the loom so that the lights work correctly, there is a guide on fubar.net i think

BMW 330ci Clubsport
Fubar.net is offline.

To avoid making another thread about this (And because I have posted in other threads but lost which ones they were) can anyone advise on what to do?
I know fubar said "push the pins away from the plug"

So I'm presuming you push them out from the back here:
dsc00617ot9.jpg

Where you can see the back of the pins, but then what do you do with the wire going to the pin? As they're connected and the pin has a verticle part as well which seems to stop you from pushing the pin away.

Front of lplug with clip up:
dsc00616nf9.jpg

Edit: Just had a look at some other threads on this. One said you need to lift up the plastic bits behind the pins (In my first picture) and then just pull the wires out? Are they ment to come right away from the pins?
Sorry for the noob questions

Last edited:
  Mk2 Ph1 Clio Sport 1.4
if memory serves me correctly, from the second pic just pull the wires upwards, and then if you jiggle the l shaped metal connector you can get it around the plack plasic bit in the way and then out.

the pins come out with the wires. in your second pic, just lever the whole wire/pin out of the connector block, they'll slide upwards as per your pic.

BMW 330ci Clubsport
I dont beleive it was that easy, after looking at it god knows how many times and trying to work it out! Thanks again

Lots of Alfas
hi all , right iv bought some phase 2 lights for my phase 1 and was wonderin if the bulb holders out the phase 1 will fit into a phase 2 light units , i aint botherd about the way the sidelights will be at the top instead of the bottom any help would be good thanks :D

Whoever sold you the lights should have included the holders tbh!!

renault clio 1.4 si 2000
i got some cheapy ph2 lights without holders, and cable tied the ph1 holders to it after cutting off the clips so it fit flush!! no problems so far, no water ingress, been like that for a year. cable ties are even better than sliced bread.

172 exclusive & 306 gti6
Whoever sold you the lights should have included the holders tbh!!
tell me about it mate, i aint got lights yet but noticed looking at the pics very hard i couldnt se the bulbs, so i asked the question to the seller are the holders included as they are a part of the unit and still have no reply after 3 atemps, i aint payed yet aswell as im a little anoyed but will have to to keep my feed back 100% i hate ebay sometimes but it can be good :mad:

172 exclusive & 306 gti6
i got some cheapy ph2 lights without holders, and cable tied the ph1 holders to it after cutting off the clips so it fit flush!! no problems so far, no water ingress, been like that for a year. cable ties are even better than sliced bread.
might have to modify them too then mate, cheers for lettin me know :approve:

172 exclusive & 306 gti6
right the seller contacted me today and told me no holders :mad: as he or she thought they wasnt imortant lol, they listed them as a upgrade for a phase 1 :S anyway paid for them now so ill do a mod on them , glad they was only 20 quid

Clio Dynamique
I've just put the ph2 lights on my ph1 this morning. Took me about half an hour to work out how to switch the wires around! But got there in the end, only took 5 minutes once i figured it out :D.

My problem now is that the whole of the right light unit doesnt seem to quite fit as snug as the left one? I have tightend the screw on the inside of the boot. But if i go to the side of the car and look at the light there is a gap and i can see the light holder a little bit? Its about a 1cm gap?

It doesnt bother me too much, i just want to make sure that when it rains its not going to affect the light?

Cant understand why the left light unit is fine but the right isnt? :S

I would really appreciate any help? If anybody else has done the same thing, do you have a gap on the right light unit?

Thanks in advance!

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
tell me about it mate, i aint got lights yet but noticed looking at the pics very hard i couldnt se the bulbs, so i asked the question to the seller are the holders included as they are a part of the unit and still have no reply after 3 atemps, i aint payed yet aswell as im a little anoyed but will have to to keep my feed back 100% i hate ebay sometimes but it can be good :mad:

sellers cant leave you negative feedback anymore,
i THINK, i can remember seeing it on ebay,
just so you know, im attempting this tonight,

swapping my black ph1 lights for ph2,

fingers crossed it all goes alright

BMW 330ci Clubsport
I've just put the ph2 lights on my ph1 this morning. Took me about half an hour to work out how to switch the wires around! But got there in the end, only took 5 minutes once i figured it out :D.

My problem now is that the whole of the right light unit doesnt seem to quite fit as snug as the left one? I have tightend the screw on the inside of the boot. But if i go to the side of the car and look at the light there is a gap and i can see the light holder a little bit? Its about a 1cm gap?

It doesnt bother me too much, i just want to make sure that when it rains its not going to affect the light?

Cant understand why the left light unit is fine but the right isnt? :S

I would really appreciate any help? If anybody else has done the same thing, do you have a gap on the right light unit?

Thanks in advance!
Noticed the same on my lights, so I put the ph1 back on and the gap was the same. And as the light had been working fine for 9 years I presumed it was fine

Clio Dynamique
Noticed the same on my lights, so I put the ph1 back on and the gap was the same. And as the light had been working fine for 9 years I presumed it was fine

Hi, well it must be fine then, im gonna leave it with them on. I am pretty certain it is water tight as it is screwed on quite tight.

It looks so much better with the newer lights on. Just after spoiler, fog lights and some clear side repeaters now, that'll keep me busy!

Thanks for your help! :D

Petrol Blue 182.
bulb holders do fit, you just have to snap some pins on the light and tape em to the backs, its what ive done, havnt had a problem since i done them, ghtteo bodge :cool: