ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phase 1 rust areas to check

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
I have a phase 1 sunflower that I have owned for 10 years. Has been off road for 4 years.

Stripping off all bodywork to see how we look.

Where do these things rust ? I heard they can be prone to age in some areas.

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
I found this
IMG_20180519_091247.jpg

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Easily repairable. Cut out the rust with a grinder until you get good metal. Coat everywhere else in rust preventative and then weld in a new panel.
It's not exactly an intricate area

Louis

I Park Like a C**t
ClioSport Club Member
Can't say I've ever seen any. Could just get yourself to a Scrap yard and cut one out yourself

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
Dreading looking at mine.
How do you get the side skirts off to check?
Drill out the 5 rivets along the very bottom of the sill and remove a couple of screws in either wheel arch. Then simply take a deep breath, lift the skirt away and prepare to be disappointed ?

mgoode180566

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Sunflower
Drill out the 5 rivets along the very bottom of the sill and remove a couple of screws in either wheel arch. Then simply take a deep breath, lift the skirt away and prepare to be disappointed ?

Yes they come away very easily, drill the rivets off. full of crap behind them. I expected mine to be much worse and around the filler cap it is perfect.

New2RS

ClioSport Club Member
I was quite lucky because my old man has good fabrication skills and as the area is unseen he made a 3ft section of sill from steel sheet. I’ve painted/ undersealed it etc and it’s good to go. I was very close to ordering a new sill but as it worked out I got the job done for a few pints.

Crayola

ClioSport Club Member
Whenever I clean my car I try and blast into the side skirts with the air gun or the jetwash to blow all the crap out. Filler cap is a common areas too because water and crud sits behind the arch liner on the filler neck

Check behind the front arch liners too as mine usually fill up with silt and crap just behind the wheel in that part with the foam piece in

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk