ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone Line, Broadband? Help?!?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Hi guys im not sure if this in the right section but it can be moved if not.

Right i moved into my own house a couple of months back and i am wanting to get the house up and running with Broadband, i dont have a phoneline as of yet (i dont really need a house phone as i have a mobile with 1,0000,0000,0000 texts and calls and s**t)

My question is this, can i get broadband without having to get a phoneline put in>? This might be a daft question but im not great with this stuff, also which companies could i go to to get me up and running and do i have to go with BT?

Id be using the internet for online gaming so it would need to be unlimited?

If anyone can help id be much appreciated!

Tesla MP3 2021
Well If you don't want a BT line when you will need cable Broadband i.e Virgin Media.

Mobile Broadband wouldn't be an option if you want on-line gaming.

Internet via a BT line is going to be better.
Get a BT line, and then chose an ADSL/ADSL2+ provider.. depending where you are, there are better ones than other.

If you can get Be (www.bethere.co.uk), the go with them.. otherwise, if you can't get Be in your area, there are loads of others which would be suitable.

clio 182 & Fiesta RSTurbo
Get a BT line, and then chose an ADSL/ADSL2+ provider.. depending where you are, there are better ones than other.

If you can get Be (www.bethere.co.uk), the go with them.. otherwise, if you can't get Be in your area, there are loads of others which would be suitable.

I think they give the best speed and upload for the money and you get unlimited downloads too.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Do you use this? Whats cost like? Not into hidden chagres and all that gash

I don't, cus' it's not in my area.. I would though if I could.

£22 a month for Be. £11 for a BT line I think it.

Well well worth it if you can get it.

I can only get normal ADSL Max on my exchange, so can't go to Be.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
You could go for Virgin as they dont need a phone line, the downside to that is if you download more than 1KB during peak hours your speed will be cut up to 75% (Peak hours 9am to 8.59am)

;)

I'm on virgin, and they are s**t.. capped and classed as a 'heavy user' after downloading 1 demo off PSN WTF ??

none :(
im in the same boat mate - bt want £124.99 to connect a phone line in my property, think im gonna go with sky broadband, never had a problem with them

RRS, 172, ST3, VTS
if you get ur line put in with BT, then get your phone and broadband service from Sky, sky will give you the £124.99 back

if you get ur line put in with BT, then get your phone and broadband service from Sky, sky will give you the £124.99 back

Good to know for new connections.

Sky Broadband is very good as well.. :)
(Sky own Easynet.. and Easynet are very very good for end user business connections)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
I meant to add guys, my mate works for 02 Broadband sales and he can get me Unlimited Broadband for £6 a month, unlimited use (although im not sure how quick itll be as its dependant on how far you are from the exchange?)

BMW e46 320 Ci Sport
my virgin service isn't amazing tbh, i'm constanrtly capped until around middnight, although ileave newsgroups running 24 hours a day so kind of understandable.

Bumder With A Buffer

Kind of right but you still pay line rental to BT just Sky refund you every 3 or 6 months.

Also someone above said

"im in the same boat mate - bt want £124.99 to connect a phone line in my property, think im gonna go with sky broadband, never had a problem with them "

Nearly every house in the UK already has a Phone line running to it... its just not connected. They go to the exchange, connect some wires.. go to one of those big green boxes you see on the side of some roads... connect some more wires.

That's what they class most of the time to "connect a Phone line". Piss take if you ask me.

You still need a BT phone Line connected (every phone line in the uk is owned by BT... they just 'unbundle' or LLU them out to other users/companies). So when you see some of these deals be warned you might still end up paying BT line rental as well, even though you are with say talk talk (you pay it to talk tlak and they inturn pay BT)

I meant to add guys, my mate works for 02 Broadband sales and he can get me Unlimited Broadband for £6 a month, unlimited use (although im not sure how quick itll be as its dependant on how far you are from the exchange?)

Would you be on an O2/Be enabled exchange through BT?

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
my virgin service isn't amazing tbh, i'm constanrtly capped until around middnight, although ileave newsgroups running 24 hours a day so kind of understandable.

Virgin is s**t... I have my own http server running at home.. its password protected etc and I have written a media portal that allows me to stream my mp3's, video's, photos, security camera, server status etc over the web.

I have been tracking down a problem when playing my media the buffer would just stop, but this didnt happen when I was at home on my internal network...

Spent ages tracking down the problem thinking apache had a problem pulling files via an NFS share to my other server.. but any file downloads via apache would randomly just stop... finally decided to move ports and low behold it all works fine !!! fecking t***s..

Now I have just had to put a mod_rewrite into apache to forward all requests on port 80 to port 81.. arrghh! !!!

On the flip side, I get unfiltered access, a range of IPs (with scope to add as many as I want subject to RIPE justification), from my ADSL provider.. :D

I've got loads of stuff hosted on it - mail, web, svn, dns, etc. All fine.
They even let me set my own Reverse DNS via the Admin panel... and, before I changed it, they even delegated reverse DNS to my own DNS servers so I could edit my own reverse zones! That was fun for a bit of DNS pollution :D

daz@heh.whatever.i.want.domain.tld....

Megane Trophy #147
Installing the line can be a case of connecting less than a metre of copper wire in the exchange, but occasionally their are a lack of spare pairs and /or stopped/ceased lines so we have to divert lines from elsewhere but that wouldn't cost you anything, the 124.99 only applies if the phone line in the property has never been connected to telephone service, I would plug a phone into a master socket with the bt or openreach logo to see if their is a line.
The exchange is openreach maintained, but the equipment would be dependent on the provider of the line rental, for example some providers use bt equipment and others now have their own equipment in some exchanges its swings and roundabouts really.
If they try charging you and you think there has been service before argue it to a manager in the call centre.

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
On the flip side, I get unfiltered access, a range of IPs (with scope to add as many as I want subject to RIPE justification), from my ADSL provider.. :D

I've got loads of stuff hosted on it - mail, web, svn, dns, etc. All fine.
They even let me set my own Reverse DNS via the Admin panel... and, before I changed it, they even delegated reverse DNS to my own DNS servers so I could edit my own reverse zones! That was fun for a bit of DNS pollution :D

daz@heh.whatever.i.want.domain.tld....

bah !!! :evil: