ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phone Options...?

Swift Sport
I live under a rock in a cave in Siberia, so I've no idea about phones. All I know is mine found it's way into the washing machine last week and hasn't worked since. My contract with EE was up back in March but I never bothered upgrading, but now I'm phoneless I will need to do something... I've been offered an iPhone 6s for £400 but to be honest I don't even think I'm bothered what kind of phone it is as long as it's a decent phone in its own right. My brother has suggested buying a budget phone and having a sim-only contract, but my brothers advice usually gets me in the sh*t.

I need lots of memory for all my photo taking, and of course I'll want the camera to be good too... I'll want a fair bit of data also as I always go over my current 2gig limit.

Directions to point me in, please?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
iPhones are easy and good. I'm on my second 5s and its ace for what I need. Can pick them up about £150 second hand

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
I have two phones currently; a Nokia Lumia 930 for personal use and was given an iPhone 6 for work. The iPhone is turd in my view, I really don't see the appeal, but obviously a lot of people like them. I think I will be following my friend's path. When the contract runs out on my Lumia next month, I will switch to sim only and keep the phone until it dies. He did that and bought a Windows phone for around £80 brand new. It does virtually everything that my phone does, but cost sod all. If it breaks, just buy another one. Beats forking out £40 odd a month on a contract, most of which pays for a handset.

I've totally lost interest in phones and the idea of forking out for a contract to have the latest handset seems mad these days. I know people that are rushing out to buy an iPhone 7 immediately but I really don't see the point. For what most people actually use their phones for, having the latest and greatest is a bit of a waste of money.

Swift Sport
I have two phones currently; a Nokia Lumia 930 for personal use and was given an iPhone 6 for work. The iPhone is turd in my view, I really don't see the appeal, but obviously a lot of people like them. I think I will be following my friend's path. When the contract runs out on my Lumia next month, I will switch to sim only and keep the phone until it dies. He did that and bought a Windows phone for around £80 brand new. It does virtually everything that my phone does, but cost sod all. If it breaks, just buy another one. Beats forking out £40 odd a month on a contract, most of which pays for a handset.

I've totally lost interest in phones and the idea of forking out for a contract to have the latest handset seems mad these days. I know people that are rushing out to buy an iPhone 7 immediately but I really don't see the point. For what most people actually use their phones for, having the latest and greatest is a bit of a waste of money.
See this is exactly where I'm going from... Just because I'm not enthusiastic about phones doesn't mean I want something old and crap. I just want a decent phone that's just as good as something from Apple.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
See this is exactly where I'm going from... Just because I'm not enthusiastic about phones doesn't mean I want something old and crap. I just want a decent phone that's just as good as something from Apple.
Buy a 2nd hand nexus 5x

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
But having said that, the Nokia luminas do seem to have good cameras if that's your main priority

Swift Sport
Cheers dude... I'd happily have another iPhone but I didn't realise until now that I've been paying for the privilege!

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Lots of phones out there that are just as good, if not better, than anything Apple make. And they don't screw people over with changing plug types every five minutes lol.

Agreed. Like my partners s7, it's very good. Camera is ace. For me wayyy to complicated.

LeeRS

ClioSport Club Member
Dont get a nokia. Windows phone is crap. I got talked ibto it and was the worst 18 month contract ever!
Apps are all crap and not always available on the..
I moved to android. Much better.
Have had iphones aswell which i do like but must say i prefer android.

massiveCoRbyn

ClioSport Club Member
  Several
Dont get a nokia. Windows phone is crap. I got talked ibto it and was the worst 18 month contract ever!
Apps are all crap and not always available on the..
I moved to android. Much better.
Have had iphones aswell which i do like but must say i prefer android.

Personal choice I think. I've had two Windows phones and rate them highly. Perfect integration with my mail, access to Office, great camera, the handset is indestructible and the OS is super clean. I think Android looks like it was designed by a five year old and iPhones are totally idiotic in the way they work. You're right in that they don't have as many apps but that only matters if you want millions of apps, which I don't. I've also heard that they are planning to include an emulator to Windows phones so you can run android apps.

I had an interesting conversation with a friend the other day actually. My friend was singing Apple's praises, saying how good the service is, that they will replace your screen if it breaks. My response? I don't need that service, my screen doesn't break every time you breathe near the phone.

At the end of the day, most of it is personal preference. All of the main smartphone brands are pretty much as good as each other. Most people probably don't use half of the features their phones have anyway, so having the latest and greatest is nothing more than consumerism. I'm sure plenty of people would slate my Lumia nut, if it had been released with an Apple logo on it, it would have been the best thing since sliced bread. Marketing is a wonderful thing.

Swift Sport
Going phone shopping today... Is there any other benefit of NOT choosing an iPhone other than the cheaper contract and not having to pay for iTunes etc? Also, how to I go with Giffgaff if I buy a phone off the shelf?

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Going phone shopping today... Is there any other benefit of NOT choosing an iPhone other than the cheaper contract and not having to pay for iTunes etc? Also, how to I go with Giffgaff if I buy a phone off the shelf?

Pay for iTunes? I've never paid for it?

Iceberg PH1 172
Giffgaff sims are available from there website..quick delivery usually. You can keep your existing number via instructions on their website.

If your phone is locked to a network, check that unlock codes are available on eBay for your desired model before purchasing.

When you have your phone and it is unlockable, put the giffgaff sim in and follow the instructions from the ebaybseller for unlocking. Usually input a code and a few symbols maybe.