ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Phones.. Talk to me

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Nearing upgrade time and not really sure what I want, I've always stuck with older iphones on cheap contracts but I think at the end of this contract I'm going to look for something with unlimited data due to my job.

What's it like moving from iphone to Samsung? Never had anything 'smart phone' other than the iphone. Is the UI better or worse? I like it to be neat and organised not a complete mess.

Had a look for a little while and so far best thing I can see is to buy a phone like this Samsung S5 - http://www.carphonewarehouse.com/ph.../monthly?portal=GOOGLE&promo=PPCPAYM&ppc=true

And get a sim only contract like this - http://store.three.co.uk/view/searchSimOnly?tariff=210421200

The other option is to not buy outright and get a 2 year contract with same phone and tariff as above for £44/month.. Hmm decisions. Thoughts? Happy to hear other suggestions too.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
You are going to get 2 types of reply in this thread. They will consist off:

45% - Get an iPhone, they are best. Android is crap
55% - Get a Samsung, they are best. iOS is crap.

You'll struggle to get an unbiased view IMO.

RS Clio 182
If you want a clean interface I'd go for the iPhone for the simplicity. However, with the iPhone you get exactly that, it's very restricting to what you can do. I always found it held me back to what I actually wanted to do. With android you can clean things up to make it simple eg. use folders etc.

Listerine & Poledo
ith android you can clean things up to make it simple eg. use folders etc.

But.....you can have folders on the iPhone home screens.

I get what you mean though, if you're the kind of type that has to fiddle and tweak (whether it be for better or worse) then you've got to go Android.

Sunglasses_Ron

ClioSport Admin
I've never understood all this 'I can do what I want with android' attitude to phones.

I want my phone to be able to make calls, text, view the Internet and have a few cheeky apps for things like sky sports, weather etc. it also has to be well built. iPhone tends to tick all those boxes. Had my 5 for almost 3 years now and not once have I thought to myself 'I wish I could put s**t into folders' or anything else for that matter.

Paying £12 a month for 500 minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB of data is where it's at.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
If you want a clean interface I'd go for the iPhone for the simplicity. However, with the iPhone you get exactly that, it's very restricting to what you can do. I always found it held me back to what I actually wanted to do. With android you can clean things up to make it simple eg. use folders etc.

How so?

I love the Simplicity and tidiness of iOS, and since I'm over messing about with phone themes and such (I was mad for it with old nokias), it's great that you can't f**k with the iOS without jail breaking.

You can use folders on iOS too?

I hate using my parents' android phones and tablets, the layout, chaos of all the menus and apps and that awful option to change the text really cheapens the phone for me.

It's what you're used to tbh. Im sure going iOS to android will be a shock, but you'll get used to it in time.

RS Clio 182
Yeah, you are right it is really a preference thing. I wouldn't ever say the iPhones are bad phones, I just know in my experience (owning and I phone 5) I didn't get along with it. I like the personalisation of the android phones with the themes, different keyboards etc.

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
Well, I've got an iPhone 5 as my personal phone and an Android powered Motorola Moto G as my works phone. Which do I prefer? The iPhone - hands down.

Pretty much what Ron says - the simplicity and ease of use of iOS is simply not matched by Android. I get the whole 'do what you want' aspect of the Little Green Robot - but as I deal with 170+ company mobiles, the idiosyncrasies between the Android flavours gets annoying. Samsung will slightly tweak something that Sony doesn't. But then Sony will slightly alter what Motorola does. Then Huawei throws another curve-ball in. I know I'm the exception (who has that many phones?!) but I can fly through any of the requirements of the iPhone users - knowing exactly what's where and how to get to it.

I'm far from one of these idiotic fanbois who praises a platform regardless of being proven wrong. Apple's iOS has its flaws too and isn't perfect. But in day-to-day use - I can't fault it. My previous 3GS I had for four-and-a-half years and it's still be used by the person I passed it on to.

Dannyeff

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 182 trophy
I just spoke to three about upgrading to the s6 edge 32 gb and they wanted 49 quid upfront and 50 quid a month. i laughed hard! it seems ok deal considering the cost of the phone and that but refusing to pay that. currently on 33 quid a month so wont be paying more than that.

Clio 197
Phones talk to you?
You wanna change dealers dude

Just wait for the 6s to be out for a couple of months, then you'll be able to get an Iphone 6 on a pittence-per-month set up
Agreed. I'm looking at buying an unlocked phone in mint condition and then just getting a sim only deal. 3 do a great one with unlimited 4G for £17 a month

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
If you like iphones you probably won't like Andoird and vice-versa.

So you should probably stick with iphones.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I moved from iOS to Android for my phone a few months ago. I'm just not getting on with it. I have an iPad and MacBook so it's naturally not integrating as seamlessly as an iPhone would and that is not a surprise to me. I just didn't realise how much it would irritate me. Don't use any of the Andriod, whatever that might be. I've never bothered looking as I'm not interested. I miss features like swiping to go back, tapping the top of an Internet window to go to the top. I find it a bit laggy, jittery and not as polished as iOS. However, I'll put that down to the hardware I have (Moto G 2nd gen). I imagine that's probably my issue. The hardware and its inability to fully utilise (?) the power of Android. The experience has put me off though. I'll be going back Apple late next year.

I guess after all that my advice would be to try an Andriod device first if you can. I've found its just not for me.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Ideally I'm looking at android because of the less restrictions, lad at work showed me a few apps that he can use that you can't use on iphone unless you jailbreak it..
Paying £12 a month for 500 minutes, unlimited texts and 2GB of data is where it's at.

2G of Data wont last me, it does now but if I plan on using the new phone for things like films/tv I'll be rinsing data. I may stick with the simple cheap contract, I've managed for a few years just fancied something that will help pass the time quicker. All the guards have decent phones for this reason.

Phones talk to you?
You wanna change dealers dude

Just wait for the 6s to be out for a couple of months, then you'll be able to get an Iphone 6 on a pittence-per-month set up

You say that but the 5s isn't really cheap cheap now tbh, no cheaper than the Samsung from what I saw.. Plus I'd jailbreak it.

I'm gunna have to watch a few videos of them being used and try get a chance to look at some in a shop. I guess it just comes down to personal opinions really judging by reading the replies.

Chrisgti6

ClioSport Club Member
  MR2,TT V6,Swift,Mini
For what reason would you need to jailbreak?

My 3GS and 4S were jailbroken for a while, then I realised I didn't need it to be jailbroken for anything I was using it for.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
The iphone restricts certain apps that I'd like to use.

I do like the UI on iphones but I suppose a change would be quite refreshing too.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
2G of Data wont last me, it does now but if I plan on using the new phone for things like films/tv I'll be rinsing data.

Will you actually do this, and if so, where will you be doing it? Data is the expensive bit in a contract, so if you have WiFi at the places you usually use your phone then you won't need much data.

I never watch films/tv on my phone, because firstly watching films or tv on a 6 inch screen is pap - but if I did, it'd be at home or work, both of which have WiFi. The only other places I can think of where you'd be watching films/tv on a phone would be public transport (you drive, so not buses) - trains maybe, but more and more are getting WiFi, or at some other residence, where they're likely to have WiFi.

Unless you stream music from somewhere like Spotify, I can't see why anyone would need tons of data.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Will you actually do this, and if so, where will you be doing it? Data is the expensive bit in a contract, so if you have WiFi at the places you usually use your phone then you won't need much data.

I never watch films/tv on my phone, because firstly watching films or tv on a 6 inch screen is pap - but if I did, it'd be at home or work, both of which have WiFi. The only other places I can think of where you'd be watching films/tv on a phone would be public transport (you drive, so not buses) - trains maybe, but more and more are getting WiFi, or at some other residence, where they're likely to have WiFi.

Unless you stream music from somewhere like Spotify, I can't see why anyone would need tons of data.

I mostly use it at work, as security a lot of the time I'm sat with nothing to do and just my phone for entertainment. No wifi in range, I could get a wifi router I guess and plug it in but I know one of the guards done that a few years back and was told to remove it.

I'm still debating if I'd use it. I mean I've managed for years without. I think it would just be nice. I'm always adding extra 500mb bolt on things with o2 and even then I have to seriously restrict what I do and I end up just twiddling my thumbs being bored.

If I get a decent phone I may as well get unlimited internet. If not I may as well just stick with my 4s and get sim only but continue to be bored a lot lol.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
I mostly use it at work, as security a lot of the time I'm sat with nothing to do and just my phone for entertainment. No wifi in range, I could get a wifi router I guess and plug it in but I know one of the guards done that a few years back and was told to remove it.

I'm still debating if I'd use it. I mean I've managed for years without. I think it would just be nice. I'm always adding extra 500mb bolt on things with o2 and even then I have to seriously restrict what I do and I end up just twiddling my thumbs being bored.
If you can't get WiFi, and it would improve your day (sounds like it would, being able to use it as you say) then it's worth it I'd say - it's just most people get way more than they need, not realising that they can get WiFi pretty much everywhere they spend their time.

Although, if you want to save money, you could put films on the phone as files and not stream, same with TV. Not convenient, but can you get 4G data where you are at work, because otherwise you'll be streaming in poor definition, or not at all.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
If you can't get WiFi, and it would improve your day (sounds like it would, being able to use it as you say) then it's worth it I'd say - it's just most people get way more than they need, not realising that they can get WiFi pretty much everywhere they spend their time.

Yeah on carphone warehouse there's a calculator thing by where you put in how much you do in a day. (Minutes of video playback and web pages visited etc) mine came up at about 16GB/month. At that point they're looking expensive anyway and I'd probably use more if I had unlimited data. I could probably manage it on 15gb but for the small price difference I'd sooner just go unlimited and not have to worry.

Edit- yeah I did think that I could just download what I want to watch at home etc. Not sure how that works mind.

Jack!

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah on carphone warehouse there's a calculator thing by where you put in how much you do in a day. (Minutes of video playback and web pages visited etc) mine came up at about 16GB/month. At that point they're looking expensive anyway and I'd probably use more if I had unlimited data. I could probably manage it on 15gb but for the small price difference I'd sooner just go unlimited and not have to worry.
And 4G coverage? Their coverage trackers are usually pretty inaccurate, so you won't really know until you bite the bullet, but I think you get a 14 day cooling-off period, so if you don't get decent data coverage then you can get your money back.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
And 4G coverage? Their coverage trackers are usually pretty inaccurate, so you won't really know until you bite the bullet, but I think you get a 14 day cooling-off period, so if you don't get decent data coverage then you can get your money back.

Three say they have 4G coverage in my work area but that's if what they say on their site is true. I'll have to check with one of the other lads as I'm sure they use 4G.

There's always the three 1 month contract same unlimited data just less minutes and is £20/month sim only.

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
Three say they have 4G at my parents, they have 3 bars of gprs if left on a window sill upstairs.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Three say they have 4G at my parents, they have 3 bars of gprs if left on a window sill upstairs.

Haha well the lad at work is on three and uses it for tethering on his laptop and films etc so hopefully its a genuine 4G but I'll definitely check with him first.

Geddes

ClioSport Club Member
  Fiesta Mk8 ST-3
My contract ran out on my HTC One M7 iirc, had it for 2 and a half years now. Still going strong. Just rang up just now and got my bill reduced from £24 to £14 with 3GB data and unlimited calls and texts that's with the 40% Friends and Family discount. Not going to get a new phone until something comes along and catches my eye.

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Hate buying phones, still not made my mind up and looking at the Iphone 6 or 6s now. Imagine they both blow the Samsung S5 out the water but samsung is less restrictive.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Hate buying phones, still not made my mind up and looking at the Iphone 6 or 6s now. Imagine they both blow the Samsung S5 out the water but samsung is less restrictive.
Looked at the nexus 5x, or 6p mate?

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
Not really mate, just took a quick look and the price is bit nicer than the iphones. Will have a proper look later. Similar price to the S5 but does look a bit nicer.

I'll be buying the phone and getting a sim separate. I think I'll aim to snatch something up in the black friday sales next month.

Status
Not open for further replies.