ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Photo opinions please, I've gone all black and white...

All of a sudden I've found myself going off in a particular direction with my photography, for no reason that I can put my finger on, and I'm slightly concerned as I have no concept of what is generally regarded as "right" or "wrong" in this area; I've hardly ever taken (or looked at) a B&W shot in my life up until now.

Let me know what you think, and be as harsh as you like, I love constructive criticism. Should I keep following this path I've found myself on?!

121206093-M.jpg

121035028-M.jpg

121206095-M.jpg

120925966-L.jpg

106 Rallye
Not keen on the Wii ones tbh, but that last one is absolutlely class!

Is that tower in Portsmouth?

VaVa
Well the top ones is OK. Framing is a little off imho. Middle two are pointless and poorly focused. Bottom one is very good.

That's merely from a hobby photographers POV. No doubt there are more technical expainations. B&W photography is good but it get's over used imho.

James S: Yes it's the Spinnaker Tower in Portsmouth.

Laingo: Worringly the top one was framed precisely as I wanted it, and the middle two were focused intentionally precisely as you see them above, I'm guessing the "effect" (if there is one) doesn't appeal to you?

Cheers for the comments though, no idea what I'm doing (or why) so I welcome any opinions.

VaVa
The second one down has no apparent (or obvious) point of focus. i think it's something you have to be careful of when using a very narrow depth of field.

Top one would be better (imho) if you could see the whole thing. Also when using a narrow depth of field and blurring the background out of recognition make sure what you have in focus is interesting!! Either the subject itself or the lighting/shadows etc. You can tell that you want us to look at the controller in the third pic, but don't give us any reason to look at. It's a pretty un-interesting thing on its own!

All my opinion btw.

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
I like the bottom 2, more than the others, did you change them to B&W after, or take them like that?

Octy vRS & Ninja 650
They almost for some reason though, the way these shots are taken, with the game pad just left in a position, remind me of something like Vanilla sky or something, where the world is abandoned, and left as it was when everyone dissapears.

I dont know why lol

106 GTi
Last pic looks superb, not a fan of the first ones.

Did you actually shoot in B&W or change them after in PS Chris? In a world of shooting digital I dont think I ever would shoot in anything other than in colour.

Edit - Mikes post asks the same doh!

I like the bottom 2, more than the others, did you change them to B&W after, or take them like that?

Took them normally with the D50 then converted them after. Not much point taking them in B&W directly with digital, all the camera is doing is removing the colour like you would in basic photo software.

Mk2 Golf GTI
1st - bit boring, would be better if the whole Wii was in it i reckon.

2nd, too noisy, ugly remote, lol.

3rd i think is great though, looks really simple but so clean and the classic controller looks cool too.

4th is the best, really nice angle and the black and white suits it well. Good shot of the sky too.

Chris.... should of dropped me a line mate, although i have been laid low with 'flu for the last 8 days. Sorry mate, but i am in love with my 360.

306 TD Slut
spinnaker tower one is sweet, with the white structure against the dark background. and its completely crisp all the way to the top.

would the first one be better with the whole face of the WII was in focus, it goes slightly blurry towards the top.. i dunno..?

pretty sweet! i like the controller one!